Author Topic: Ghost Shrimp  (Read 1062 times)

Offline john gimesh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/09/2014
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Ghost Shrimp
« on: September 29, 2014, 06:20:38 PM »
I have been told to add ghost shrimp to the pond to work as cleaners.  I was told the Koi may eat some, but the shrimp are too fast.  Is this true?

I have also added to the Filter to live in it.  I was told they would help keep it clean.  Is this true?

I have added a few hundred shrimp in the past few weeks- I have no idea if they still are there- because they are hard to see.

Ghost shrimp a very cheap
Respectfully,
John

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Shrimp
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 09:05:23 PM »
Welcome John. I live in Goodlettsville, TN, so I am familiar with your weather. Aren't ghost shrimp tropical animals? I have put red shrimp (about the same size) into some of my ponds in my greenhouse where they will be warm during the winter but I am not sure how many have survived. They are small and hide easily. Also in the ponds are mosquito fish so I am not sure if they ate them or not. I put them in as a matter of interest, however, not for their cleaning ability.
Since you have already added the ghost shrimp, keep us informed on how they do.

Offline john gimesh

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »
I am glad to have found this site- thank you.  I still am TRYING to find the facts vs myths on pond care- I don't mind theory.  I just built my pond this summer- it only took 10 retakes or shall I say re-digs and new liners and wasting funds. 

What I know about the shrimp mainly came from something a post I read some time ago and the person at Pet store.  Truly don't know if the 500 or so ghost shrimp are hiding, reproducing or past late night snacks ( I do have red worms in the filter).  I did get some of the red shrimp on Craig's List- they mainly shipped dead after a few shipments- I ended up with a few.

I have bought different snails- I don't see they do too much for cleaning or entertainment? 

I have some sucker fish- Only seen them a few times, not sure what they clean up but they really grew.  I have been told to bring them inside over the winter.  Not sure how to ever find them again.

I have not tried the  mosquito fish.  I have found them on eBay for sale.  Do you think I should get some now or wait for spring.

I have another post about heating the pond.  Do you heat yours all winter because they are in a greenhouse.  What would you do if they were not in a greenhouse?

These seem to be my options and as you can tell by the weather time is running out till it freezes:

De-icer?  keeps hole in ice, not much warming- looks like about 40.00

Inline Koi pond heater?  Can set temp, looks great, not sure of energy cost to run all winter, item cost around 1,000.00

Convert a heater from a hot tub? Can adjust temp, avoid copper, not sure of energy cost to run all winter, item cost around 150.00 plus some DIY

Build solar heat box with PVC pipes? Not sure what temp water would get too, temp swing- day/night sunny/cloudy, no cost to operate, looks easy to build and cost about 150.00

Other ideas????

I really want to keep it warm so the fish will keep growing. 

Sorry I may have asked far too many questions- but while I am at it……….I have water lettuce-it does very well for a beginner.  When should I bring them inside for winter along with other water plants?

Thank you
Respectfully,
John

Offline matherfish

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »
It will cost a good bit to heat your pond through the winter, and it does not need to be heated.  Your fish would have to be eating and for their digestive system to continue working I would guess the water temps would have to remain above 70*. If they are hibernating, they will not be eating, but when they do start eating in the spring they are fairly ravenous.  How big are they now? You definitely need an opening in the ice to provide a means of gas exchange for your fish to live in the winter.
Water lettuce an water hyacinth are difficult to over winter inside. They need lots of heat, and light. I over winter them in the gh and have them available in the spring if yours do not survive.
Other plants, if they are hardy, will survive if they are placed where they will not freeze. You can move them to deeper water below the freeze line, which here is maybe 5-6 inches below the surface. I leave the hardy lilies outside and they do fine.
If you want to keep your pond warmer during the winter, make a cold frame over it. Get some boards or pipe and lay them across the pond above the water and cover with clear plastic. Secure plastic. It will heat up in the daylight, and help hold the heat in at night.
Hope this helps!

Offline john gimesh

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Shrimp vs mosquito fish.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 06:54:17 PM »
As you know I have been doing somethings better than other.  I will not heat the pond this year …Should I be buying mosquito fish.?  If so, when should I add them?  Will they live through the cold?

still confused about closing pond for winter:

Remove plants
remove UV light
Remove Ion tube
Wish I could remove the sucker black fish- if I could find them
Already changed diet
now- i have heard differences on pumps, waterfalls, bio filter etc
Respectfully,
John

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 07:44:36 PM »
I do not know about the ion tube or uv light. You can drop hardy plants to deeper water and not have to deal with them.
Mosquito fish will survive the winter here in zone 7 if the surface does not completely freeze over. The pond has to have a way for there to be a gas exchange over the winter. You can also catch a bunch of them at the end of the summer and put them in an aquarium and keep them inside over the winter, returning them to the pond. I know a woman who does that. 'The fish reproduce like guppies, so you will have many more by the end of the summer.

Offline john gimesh

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 05:54:19 AM »
I brought up the ghost shrimp as cleaners and the Mosquito fish seems to fit the need.  I was about to purchase on Ebay- local pet store didn't know what they were.  Then I found out these great fish will eat also any eggs the Koi may lay and frogs.  Do you know about this
Respectfully,
John

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 08:20:58 AM »
They may eat the fish and frog eggs. I have plenty of frogs each year so I don't think they eat all of the eggs, but I also do not have koi babies. I am not sure if they eat all of the eggs first or if they eat the newly hatched koi, but I would assume they eat them one way or the other.

Offline john gimesh

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 05:40:11 PM »
GHOST SHRIMP are the best!!!!  when young they are a great snack, the ones that live, work hard at cleaning and cool to watch.  Go get some shrimp
Respectfully,
John

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 08:23:49 PM »

John, glad to hear that they are doing great for you! I do not know if any of my red shrimp are alive. I have not seen any of them in months.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"