Author Topic: Lotus questions......  (Read 1133 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Lotus questions......
« on: March 06, 2007, 12:17:09 PM »
This is one of the pots outside.  I was taking a stick and just getting some of the leafs off the top and I pulled this up out of the corner.  HOw do you tell if they have been frozen.. if not that one tub is full of tubers.  And do yall clean all the dead leaves and stuffie out of your pots/lotus ponds.. seems it would be good fertiilizer but the water is pretty smelly.

tinkster

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Lotus questions......
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 12:22:37 PM »
Tink, just from the pix it looks just fine! O0

You can definately tell if they froze, usually dark and mushy.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 01:20:40 PM »
Yup, looks good to me too! O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Eluned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 09:06:04 PM »
It looks like you have some good new growth, but lotus will overgrow their pots.  Even if I don't split and repot, I go in and clean out any old and mushy tubers or shriveled runners.  Sometimes I even split a pot in two and then add back fresh soil mixture.  (I use around 50% vermiculite, heavy clay, composted manure and then a bit of blood and bone mile, some potash and greensand.  The vermiculite will compress as the tubers multiply, so it buys you time between repotting.)  Best of luck!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
Eluned,  Nice to see you, how are you? We missed you.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 04:53:21 PM »
 @O@ @O@....I'm soo happy for you girl....I know you were really worried you had lost them.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Eluned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 08:58:25 AM »
Hi LeeAnn!!!  I've been crazy busy with work, my two and a half year-old daughter (hard to believe) and the Koi Health advisor program.  I lost you guys with all the board shuffling, and have been posting mostly on koi forums.  I still have my plant ponds (up to 7-8 not counting the orphanages), but gave up on the tropicals.  We just don't have enough space to overwinter them.  I still have the blue taro Marilyn gave me, but that is about it.  Everything else is hardy.  Lotus are still my favorites.  As long as they have enough space, they are tough, but drop-dead gorgeous.  I have two lotus bogs, two smaller ponds just for lotus and then the big pond for potted bowl lotus.  My lilies don't get the attention they need. 

I lost Gonnerre last year (didn't repot in time), but dumped yards of dirt in the big pond, so when I can track down a start, I will let it grow wild.  I figure that Gonnerre and Arc en Ciel are well-behaved enough to turn loose.  Texas Dawn may stay potted. I don't even know what other lilies I have anymore.  I've given a bunch away (anything red or white and most pinks).  Mottled Cream Monster is thriving in a friend's mud pond.

Thanks for the welcome, and it is good to rediscover my coffee-club.   o(:-)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 09:39:31 AM »
I'm thinking of putting in a series of small bogs to act as a biological filter for the pond in Merida. I think the closest zone would be zone 11, humid, hot, seasonal rain, never lower than the high 50's low 60's at night.  Would lotus function in a bog filter? If they had their own small bog to live in?  Is it a problem if they never have cold to die back, it seems that they do like constant warmth so I guess they'd grow all year, would they bloom all year?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"