Author Topic: Pump Question  (Read 736 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pump Question
« on: July 11, 2016, 03:03:15 PM »
Folks, I have a pressurized back-flushing canister-type bio filter from Tetra, which is leaking from the seal around the lid.  At times, the leak can be a torrent, literally.  I have had to set the filter into a plastic box to catch the leaking water, with a siphon hose taking the water back into the pond.

My pump is within the suggested gph for the filter, somewhat below the maximum. 

The rep. at Tetra says the leak is because I am using a horse power pump.   She says HP pumps put out "pressure' that is too much for the filter's seal, and the filter will either leak at the seal, or it will crush the stem down the center of the filter.

She says that a mag drive pump will not do this.  She says the mag drive pump puts out the same gph, but without the pressure.

To me, this sounds like bull.  I say a pump putting out 2700 gph is the same whether it's mag or direct or horsepower.

What do you think? 

I am looking at replacing either the filter or the pump.  If I can keep the filter from leaking, and I can keep the filter.   If I have to buy a new filter that will not leak with my 2700 gph HP pump, I will have to buy new tubing and tear down the pond to replumb the entire pond.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Offline dperry

• Members
  • With us since: 18/10/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Don's Pond
Re: Pump Question
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 06:50:51 PM »
She's right.  Consider two pumps that can put out the same maximum gallons per hour, but one is a powerful direct drive pump and the other a magnetic drive pump.  Start with the mag pump and pump, let's say 1000 gallons per hour into a can filter, but the filter can, let's say, only exhaust 900 gallons per hour.  The pressure in the can will rise and feed back through the pipe to the pump.  The mag drive will now be overcome by the back-pressure and the impeller will "slip"since it is driven only by a magnetic field.  It's output will drop to say 900 gallons per hour, an equilibrium with the output of the filter is established and the pressure in the filter will not increase further.  Now, take the more powerful direct drive pump.  It starts putting out 1000 gallons per hour into that same filter, the outflow of which is 900 gallons per hour.  The pressure rises and feeds back through the pipe to the pump.  This time, however, there is nothing to slow the pumps output, so it continues to put out 1000 gallons per hour.  Meanwhile, the filter is only getting rid of 900 gallons per hour.  Pressure continues to rise until something in the system gives way.  In this case, it is likely the O-ring that seals the top of the filter and the excess pressure pushes water out through the seal.  Better that it leaks there than to have the pressure continue to build until something else "blows a gasket", such as a water line buried underground.  This is overly simplistic an example, but it illustrates the point.  That's why there is also a great difference is pumps that put  out the same number of gallons per hour, but differ greatly in the "head" they can work against.  For example, if you want a pump to put a certain number of gallons of water over a waterfall, you don't simply choose a pump of a certain gph, but also what height to which it can move that water.  I  hope that helps.
Don Perry  http://youtube.com/dperry428
Retired science teacher
BS, MS, Biological Science, NIU
Northern Illinois
Zone 5a

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pump Question
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 07:14:08 PM »
Wow!  That is a very thorough and easy-to-understand explanation.
It sounds like the pond store gave me wrong information, then, when they sold me that HP pump.
But the solution is simpler - I prefer to buy a new pump, than a new filter.
I know it took a while to type that - thank you for the info!   and now I know what to look for, next trip to the pond store. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"