Author Topic: That Really Irritates Me.....  (Read 4138 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: That Really Irritates Me.....
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2007, 09:33:35 AM »
Are we not allowed to say "orgasm" here ;) .....oops, I just said it............. {:-P;;  Pretty soon the entire alphabet will be taken up representing words that can't be spoken.........  Let's see; there's the "N" word, the "F" word (actually two "F" words now....we need an "F1" and an "F2"), there's the "C" word and now the "O" word ;)

Around this house no one is allowed to say the "S" word......... SALE {nono}
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2007, 09:56:59 AM »
LOL, me too Mikey, orgasm isn't a bad word here either.
It's not a word used often, and especially not by solicitors.
Personal, maybe, but defintely not worthy of abbreviation.

I feel like I am on an old rerun of All In The Family/Archie Bunker. lol
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2007, 11:43:08 AM »
I don't think either Sean or Jerry would have a problem with the word "orgasm"  :o

For a woman going door to door about religion to start telling someone that having one is sinning is so beyond ridiculous that I just don't know what to say. Maybe she just meant if the woman has one since men can't procreate without one. How unfair is that? Unfortunately, many religions believe that women should not have them and physical mutilation is preformed in many countries even today to prevent them.

I work from home now and I get more people trying to sell me vinyl siding and windows than religion.

I shut the door in a boy's face last week. I was asleep on the couch in the first sun we'd had in weeks and he banged on the door like my brother does and I was ticked when I opened it. I should not have. We don't have a peep hole though. He wouldn't go away.

I had to use the F word to get some Dish Network boys to go away last year. They just kept on talking.....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2007, 02:22:31 PM »
Geesh guys!!!! Give me a break here!!
Some people might be disturbed by reading some words, like the 'f' word, 'n' word and others I could write. Some people may not see anything wrong with writing those out either but I don't feel comfortable using some language. I decided to go the safe route. I don't mean to start something here but please give me some slack because I chose to post with the abbreviation. Just because some of you feel it would have been ok some may not (obviously I didn't). I am not a prude or weird or anything but may have other opinions about some things so please don't make fun of me on here for that.
Cath
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 07:35:58 PM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2007, 03:10:09 PM »
Hey Cath.  There was nothing intentionally and personally directed at you by me in my response.  It just made me chuckle after reading your story and Ether's response and how we tend to use a euphemism for certain words.  I was actually poking fun at how many of us use a euphemism.  I do it all the time....(tinkle, pee-pee, potty etc.)  Some people are more direct and accurate with their choice of words and that is fine with me.  I apologize as I didn't clarify the intent of my wisecracks......  And I didn't think you a prude or weird, even though I have no problem with people who are prudes or who are weird.  After all, it was I who spoke up several times for the one who shall remain nameless, who was in fact weird......  I've been called both at one time or another due to my religious beliefs but I take pride in swimming against the present current of world views.... o(

However, I am somewhat glad the topic has turned away from being directed at JW's.  My intention was not to attack them.  It's just that two of them happened to be the ones who irritated me so by ignoring obvious signs that the homeowner liked privacy....  It could just as soon been anyone else.  From the responses here though it is clear that some JW's can be a pain in the "A" word.... (sorry...sometimes I can't contain myself...)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 07:01:25 PM by Mikey »
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2007, 03:38:42 PM »
Ditto what Mikey said: O0
Nothing I said was a personal attack on anybody.
Well, maybe Archie Bunker. ;)

It WAS funny how euphemisms/abbreviations were being used. lol
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2007, 04:21:09 PM »
I've had to watch my language on here a few times cause I didn't won't to offend anyone but I feel like if it is in the dictionary it can be used.  lol

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2007, 04:53:42 PM »
He~~ I can swear like a logger. but for the most part I don't. I don't like to be around people who every other word is f this or that or the c word. I respect the fact that most swear words are not actually spelled out. In fact I thought it was against rulls here? And Mikey I agree we have really given it to the JW's and we don't even know how many are members. I'm thinking that we all did a bit on the wrong side with that one me included.  :redface: I apoligise for stepping on any toes or hurting anyone's belifes. After all this America where we have the freedom of religion as long as we don't say God in the public and take it out of our pledge and out of courts and off our courency and so on. Oh Shi~ don't get me started! Cath, I to was raised Christion your not alone.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2007, 06:19:59 PM »
Thanks Cath for being ladylike (is that the right word) in your choice of words. You never know who might be offended in such a diverse group of people as on a forum. We knew what you meant and that is all that matters.

Sometimes we misunderstand the feeling or meaning behind what we read. We can't see your facial expression, body language or hear your tone of voice so are left with only our first reaction to what we've read. Have you ever said something and had somebody take it totally another way than what you intended====and they were right there to see your body language etc. LOL. I spent about 5 minutes talking with my stepson Saturday where he was going down one road and I was heading down a totally different one in our conversation. And we thought we were having an intelligent conversation. It was so funny. I have this happen a lot with my Dh.

Offline Lorraine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2007, 08:59:31 AM »
We have dogs in our yard so 'NoBody' gets in. The JW hit our area week after week,if they can't get you one way they will drive you crazy another way. One time an older gentleman said while I was outdoors,'you always speak to us when you see us' 'we appricate your kindness', :) I told him' the Lord doesn't want us to hate  or be evil against those that are on the wrong path, you all are on the wrong path to his kingdom, and it serves no one for me to be ughy to you! I feel you all are so wrong, but that is the path you choose, and I don't want to hear or read your pamlets, but I contiune to pray that your closed eyes will see the right path.' He said, they are following what the Bible says, I said 'your Bible, not mine!' So my  four- footed children keep out the unwanted! :)
 Lorraine     
Lorraine

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2007, 09:51:48 AM »
Cathy, I certainly was not trying to make fun of you!

I just don't think the correct words for biological functions or body parts are swear words or nasty words.

There are slang terms for the same that can be rude, nasty or swearing.

I can certainly understand you being upset at this woman, for many reasons.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2007, 12:52:12 PM »
You know, I don't think there is any reason to feel bad for "picking on" the JW.  If you went into someone's house or church and badmouthed their religion then I think that's very bad.  But, they have opened the door (or the garden gate) on the whole subject by their pushy and intrusive proselytizing.  If they feel they can come into my yard, up to my door, intrude on my space, with their unwanted messages, then they should expect not to like what I have to say about it.  I think they lost their right not to be offended by comments when they ignored my right to be free of their blather on my own property.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"