Author Topic: Tommy Turtle  (Read 1646 times)

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tommy Turtle
« on: December 24, 2006, 04:59:20 AM »
Tommy turtle has come to live at my house.  Of course after he was given to me I find out what he REALLY needs to be happy and comfy.  So he now has his own 10 gallon aquarium, his own heat lamp, floating wood piece to get up on, I dropped a heater in to keep his water warm...good grief  ::)
Mary

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Tommy Turtle
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 09:12:43 AM »
Oh Mary he is sooo cute....It was sooo hard to let my Franklin go at a pond this year..but, he started nipping and chasing Ginger(my female asagi) around and I was afraid he would hurt her......come this spring I will be really having to watch my step around here...I find them all over...we usually end up with around 20 or more before its all said and done..I usually just give them away....hey if you need any plants for him to hide in or eat let me know...I have tons of anacharis and hornwort....
Lawanna
P.S. I've missed you....hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and New year....
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 04:45:29 PM »
 8)
I think I'll hang here for awhile.

Obviously we don't have much in wild turtles around here though I did see one on the road by a nearby stream  :'(  He wasn't very alive anymore.  I don't really have any idea what kind it was or even if it is a native turtle.

I have a few plants I threw in with the goldies in the show tank in the greenhouse that I might grab a few pieces of. 

Can I put guppies or something like that in with him?  I wouldn't really care if he ate them, just nice to have something else swimming in there too.

He's happily sunbasking under his fake sunlight.  I think he ate today cause the food pieces I put in seem to have disappeared!
Mary

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 03:21:03 AM »
He's sweet! He would like the guppies ..

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 08:40:17 AM »
I think I will get him some guppies or white clouds.  Depends on which I can find cheap  :)  He loved my frozen blood worms that I usually feed the betta's and tetras in the aquarium. 
Mary

Offline terri

• Members
  • With us since: 22/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 01:39:22 PM »
He is really cute! i love the first shot of him.
My BIL on Long Island, has a turtle like Tommy, and he is outside all year long. He is bigger then your little guy, tho.
I remember when i was a kid, buying them at the local Woolworth's, for 29 cents!
terri
1500 gallon pond. Most residents are 11 yrs old. Most are Koi, with one 9 yr old bullhead catfish. Residents took a trip of one hr to their new home. We all moved to this home just over a yr ago. They love their new digs!

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 10:41:25 AM »
Tommy liked his guppies... only 2 left out of 6  :o lol
Mary

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 02:16:30 PM »
Turtles love sushi .. kind of feel bad for the entrees but turtles will be turtles..he has a good appetite doesn't he..

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 06:03:28 PM »
He LOVES the blood worms that I feed the bettas and trops in the 10 gallon.  He gets good exercise chasing around the last 2 guppies..guess they are smarter than the other 4  ::)
Mary

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 07:00:23 PM »
I love him!  He's adorable!

I've kept turtles for years, so if you need any help, let me know. 

Oh yeah - you can put almost any fish in with him.  White clouds might be better able to outswim him than guppies.  Eventually, he'll leave more than he eats and when he gets to be an adult, he will almost (but not quite) quit chasing them down and eating them!

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 12:43:51 AM »
He's such a cutie.  We only found one turtle this year, and he had been hit by a car.  We brought him home cleaned his crack in his shell, and put medical tape on it crack and called around to find a rehaber.  My vets office took him, and said they would give him all the medical things he needed and then turn him over to a turtle sanctuary. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Gina-Small town Tn Girl

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 07:44:16 AM »
Tommy sure is a vibrant lookin turtle, we have Shelby the Turtle....  I wanna see pics of your tank with your floating piece of wood.  The kids have a rock in with her that she climbs up in, and the other day I  cut the sides out of a throw away bowl, she loves to hide there!  I need  to find her some plants to hide in, didn't think of that til I saw it on here!  I'll post some pics of shelby this afternoon.   Gina

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 04:49:24 PM »
Do you guys think my red ears are eating the mosquito fish?  I hope so.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

GAJen

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 08:56:57 AM »
Awe.....he's so pretty.

Offline LBAK

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 02:04:46 PM »
He's adorable. I hope you love him lots. He could be around a while. I have a turtle named Michael that I got 43 years ago. Yes, he's real. He was one of those 25 cent turtles from Woolworth's. My mom thought he'd be a fun pet. He's showing no signs of aging and I think I have to put him in my will. o(:-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"