Author Topic: What to do with sprouting lotus??????????????  (Read 816 times)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What to do with sprouting lotus??????????????
« on: March 21, 2007, 06:04:26 PM »
Ok, not sure what to do :-\.  Last year I brought my lotus in and placed them in the basement pond, lights overhead, but water unheated.  I did not know if they would survive like this because I have never had lotus.  Yesterday when adding water I noticed to my surprise that one of them is actualy sending up a shoot.  Question, I had planned on putting them in a different container, am I assumming right that now it is to late, or can I carefuly transplant it to another pot with better dirt and compost.  What size would be best, if I can.  Right now they are in a normal size pot like for hanging baskets, the tuber was  very small when I originaly got it.  One is a Baby Doll and the other is a Carolina Queen.  I know someone else posted a simmilar question, I remember reading it and I thought it may have been here but I could be wrong, I just can't seem to find it for the answer.  Our pond is now ice free, but the water is only 40* which is colder then the basement and I don't want to kill it by putting it out there now.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with sprouting lotus??????????????
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 08:08:25 PM »
Marla....here's an answer I got in a PM from Lawanna the other day. I had the same question as you. Since you said your water temps are 40 degrres these instructions should apply to you also.
Cath

keep it inside just floating in a tub of water in a cool dark spot.....untill the water temps are around 40 degrees and then you can put it out for good. if the really hard freezes are over for you then you can put it out now and just place it far enough below the water surface so that if you do have a few light freezes then it won't freeze....if you keep it indoors ...like I said just try your best to keep it dormant in a cool spot....and away from the window...oh..unwrap it allso...it can get a fungus on the tuber if it kept wrapped up...I also take mine out every soo often and wash the slime from the tuber if I just have them floating...but, get it planted as soon as your weather permitts it...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sorry I just noticed you said the fish are active....yep it would be good to go ahead and plant it in the pond....just make sure it is well below the water surface and put pebbles in the pot to make sure the fish don't up root it....look up my lotus planting instructions in the tutorial 

zone 5b

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 09:47:35 AM »
Last week I recived my very first Lotus from Lawanna. My water had been running about 38 to 40* and her and Joyce both told me to go ahead put it in my pot and in the pond to about 3" of water covering it. They said lotis like the cold.And at this point I don't have to worry about any hard freezing, just light frosts. I HOPE! :o
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 05:30:55 PM »
 Thanks guys for your responses.   Do you think I could carefuly transplant them with better dirt or in a larger container even though they have sent up shoots???  Putting them in the pond now won't hurt them because of the cooler water tempature then they are use too?  I have always heard they are so fragile.  Will the fish eat them, like they like to nibble on the lily leaves right now?
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"