Author Topic: New Waterlily Competition  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New Waterlily Competition
« on: January 27, 2007, 09:45:32 AM »
Hard to believe it is the time of year already, but anyone out there with an interest in entering the iwgs competition has to announce their intent in Feb. sometime.....I've seen two dates the 15th and the 28th...

This has been a public service announcement and I have no affiliation with the iwgs.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline cindy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New Waterlily Competition
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 11:00:52 AM »
tell me more please o(

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 04:17:19 PM »
Hi Cindy,

Every summer the International Waterlily and Water Garden Society ( iwgs) sponsors a competition for new waterlily hybrids.

The entries are grown out side by side under identical conditions and then a panel of judges selects the best new hardy, the best new tropical and the one with the highest vote total becomes the best new lily of the year.

The competition is open to all and entering is free, so each year I post a mention on the forum hoping to prod Lou, Sean and everyone else that has a hybrid that they are proud of to enter.  They threaten to do so....but once again I don't see their names on the list...shame, shame!  I am aware of entries this year from Cyprus, Australia, Thailand and the US.
Well maybe Australia...they sent the entries to me and as I am growing them out, if they appear to be too nice, they might get "lost" in shipping to Raleigh.<g>

Which is where the grow out is being conducted this year.  A few of the tropical growers were concerned that the temps weren't condusive to tropicals and would have rather seen it back in TX or FL, but then the hardy lilies need all the help they can get...a hardy has never been selected as "Best New Lily of the Year".  I predict than even in the Mid-Atlantic chill, the tropical lilies will be able to prevail again this year.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 04:21:01 PM »
Yup, from my experience, NC is perfect for growing tropicals! O0 8) :)
I had nonstop blooms from April through September, even longer on my Daubin! :)

Craig, aren't you going to Raleigh? ?)(?
(and when is it?)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"