Author Topic: The old and the new.  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The old and the new.
« on: March 24, 2007, 07:31:56 PM »
Here's a picture of our old skimmer/filter. It was in the pond for almost 4 years and still going strong. But I was given a fiberglass laundry tub so DH and I installed it today.

Here's the new skimmer/filter. We installed one just like this last summer in Cindi's pond but this has a few modifications on it. I had some pieces of that plastic quarter round and cut them up to make guides for the frame that sits in front of the pump and the filter media leans up against. I also put in some pieces for the skimmer basket to lay against. I hadn't done either of those things to my old tub or Cindi's. I think I'm going to like this better. Note the 2" hole in the lower front. DH will run a flexible hose out the front and down to the retrofit bottom drain that will sit right in front of the tub on the bottom of the pond. We didn't have time today to do it. Thus far the setup is running fine.

Offline Shep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/12/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The old and the new.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 07:40:26 PM »
The Fiberglass tub looks good!

Offline Rocmon

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 08:37:38 PM »
If you put that pvc grate a little more forward you could wrap a half circle of mat from back corner to back corner around the pump to get two layers of mat in there. I'd probably try a brush laying down under your screen, or forgo the screen altogether and put a full row of brushes across in front of your mat...

I'm always trying to figure out how to get more filtration stuffed in my skimmer. If your bottom drain does draw, you'll get more glop in there and it will load up your mat in no time. Brushes are easier to wash out.

Looks like you've made a nice solid improvement there.

Offline Shae

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 10:39:01 PM »
Looking good Esther! I'll definitely be following this to see how the retro bottom drain works for you. I agree with Rocmon on the brushes. They are a breeze to clean. I use both the mat and brushes in my skimmer and have to clean out the mat everyday. I can usually get by with cleaning the brushes once a week.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 12:54:17 AM »
Looking good there Esther. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 04:39:48 AM »
Your just to darn cleaver, that looks real good. O0
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Cindi

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 06:27:35 AM »
Oh that turned out really good Esther! 
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 07:09:19 AM »
Well, we'll see. It needs tweaking a bit. I think we need to cut down the skimmer opening so it draws more water. Then we need to put a piece of wood on the bottom of the boardwalk that will block the tub from floating up. We put a bunch of bricks in to hold it down and then I think it uses up too much space inside for water and the pump can't pull enough through.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 03:50:19 PM »
Here is it installed. 

GAJen

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 06:22:48 PM »
Esther you are one of my hero's. You are so creative...boy I could of used you down here this weekend.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 07:04:58 PM »
Very nice looks so sturdy, good job.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"