Author Topic: If I didn't love my fish so much, I swear I'd kill them!  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Shae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
If I didn't love my fish so much, I swear I'd kill them!
« on: March 27, 2007, 09:06:07 PM »
Spent most of the morning out by the pond today. Divided up several marginals, placed some impatiens and ferns in the waterfall, found some more lilies starting to put up pads, vacuumed out the pond, just a very productive day. The water was crystal clear and I was very pleased with how things were coming along.  :)

So I go out to feed the fish this evening, and my crystal clear water is all murky and cloudy, can't even see the bottom. I'm thinking what the heck happened. So I start looking around the shelves to see if something got tipped over and there it was. The pot holding my brand new water celery was turned over on the ledge and there was no dirt left in it, and no plant to be found. Then I notice what appears to be a clump of grass just floating in the middle of the pond. I get the net and scoop it out and guess what? It's not a clump of grass....it's what's left of my water celery. Those little piggies  ate all the leaves and only left 3 little nubs attached to the roots. >:(-  Bad fishes!!  {nono}  I had no idea they would devour a plant like that. Now I have to wait for all the kitty litter to settle so I can vacuum again and wait weeks for the plant to grow back.  :'(

Oh well, tomorrow is another day.  :(

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: If I didn't love my fish so much, I swear I'd kill them!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 04:34:31 AM »
Sorry Shae, don't ya just love um tho? o( Ya mine eat just about everything, so when I plant i rock it down real good.I heard Celery. I want to get a couple of clumps and keep one out of the pond so when they start muching it to much I can swap them. Oh dear thats what I forgot to order!  :'(
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 06:30:36 AM »
My celery is in the bog so the fish can't get at it until it grows into the pond. But they go after it as best they can. That stuff is rather invasive but I like it because it has a pinkish tinge to the green and the foliage is lacey. It is a contrast to the tall stalky stuff.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 08:02:09 AM »
They kind of remind me of a bunch of 2 year old.... ::)

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 08:17:23 AM »
This is why I now plant almost all of my small marginals just in stones. Last year they devoured a nice large Ranunculus(butter popcorn) I placed in the pond, took and put it in the little pond, the goldfish don't eat many plants.  Got strong and I placed back in the big pond in the fall, I'm keeping a close eye on it this spring incase they go after it again.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 09:09:21 AM »
Shae,

A with all water plants, Water celery has the capability to become invasive.  Being trying to eradicate mine for years.  Your fish have done you a favor.  Get rid of it now, or regret not doing so 5 years from now...

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 09:25:08 AM »
That's an understatement. After the first year mine was gone along with the large sensitive vine. That stuff sheds like crazy. Pretty flower though.

Offline Christy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 11:45:55 AM »
I threw out my Water Celery last year,because the fish kept getting in it on the shelf, now it grows in the ground.Really pretty plant, but it is taking over where i have it now. {nono}

Christy

Offline charlotteda

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Charlottes Website
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 11:55:59 AM »
I put some celery in the ground and I sure regret it :)
Charlotte

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 03:26:18 PM »
I haven't had a problem with the celery being invasive so far. I repotted what's left of it in some pea gravel this morning and set it in a dish pan. I finally got most of the kitty litter vacuumed up and can see the bottom of the pond again, but it's far from being clear.

GAJen

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 04:42:08 PM »
livetogarden sent me some beautiful water celery. Last year the fish ate it all. I am stuck on the new pond because I can't figure out what to plant on the upper mound. Water Celery might work. But I was thinking on Lantana.

Offline Krodity

• Members
  • With us since: 21/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 04:43:58 PM »
I had the water celery also, it was so beautiful I just couldn't resist.......next thing I knew it was EVERYWHERE
I was pulling it up and throwing it in the pond so the fish would eat it, then I was throwing it away. Couldn't get rid of it for anything. Won't have anymore unless it is in an urn and can be cut and controlled.

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 04:50:50 PM »
Jen, lantana is absolutely gorgeous and down where you are, it will probably come back next year. I wish it would up here, but it gets too cold up here. Butterflies just love lantana too. And it's very drought tolerant. Upper mound? Have you put in another pond? Must see pics soon!

I just love the look of water celery. Maybe I should try planting it on the outside of the pond, and use the excess as a treat for the fishes. I just found out that parrot's feather will grow outside the pond. Had a couple of sprigs to to root accidentally, and now it's starting to grow.

GAJen

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 05:32:47 PM »
Yepper I did. It's not that big it's a preformed sitting to the left of the main pond. Have been doing some planting around the main pond and transplanting lily's.....poting new ones for the smaller one. Got the rock work around it just haven't finished off the mound and sides. Hope to by the weekend's out. Also got a preformed for a little bog it's pretty cool. So the secret is out. Gotta work on the lotus tub. Got a choice of red, white and yellow lantana.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 06:56:41 PM »
Ok, I just was sent some today, maybe because I'm more north it won't take over.  Well I've got some so it's going in, I'll see what happens.  May put it in the little pond and the new lily pond if it grows well.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"