Author Topic: Well I had to go in!  (Read 1109 times)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Well I had to go in!
« on: March 26, 2007, 03:02:22 PM »
 :o Yikes was it cold. I planted the Lotus I got from John in a huge pot really huge, But in order to get it in I had to go in. The water temp said 45 so I thought well that's not so bad. WRONG! :o So up went my sweat pants and off went my shoes and socks and in I went. Bill got quite a laugh, and I'm sure the neighbors must have heard me yelling it's freezing! But the Lotus now has a new home. It has 2 very nice looking tips comming up one it. I'll do pix when they break the surface. Witch I hope isn't to soon as it was 24 out this am when I went out. Those $50.00 waist waders I want are looking more and more like a nesesity for fall and spring.  o(
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline slackjeep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Photogallery
Re: Well I had to go in!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 03:10:52 PM »
dang...

and I was complaining about my 62 deg water.   ::)  {:-P;;
Dorys

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 07:00:23 PM »
My pond was about 60* yesterday,  but I still put the waders on and went in to net one of the larger goldfish that had what appeared to be a small amount of fungas/tail rot.  Luckily they were still moving slow and I got it on the first try.  Getting in and especially out of the pond in wadders can be a trick and if you are carrying something even trickier.  Gave the fish a good salt bath, cleaned up the fin with iodine and gave the fish a good salt bath, then let it destress a bit in a large 15gal container with a low amount of salt water.  Placed her back in the pond last night, had no red streaking and minor tears, less stress with her buddies, but I'll keep a close eye on it.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 07:38:51 PM »
That makes my legs hurt just thinking about that.  It hurts my hands to mix up ground beef for a meatloaf, I don't think I could handle that, and I'm a tough cookie.  Just something about that cold, I can't do.  My son is allergic to cold water and breaks out in hives.  Here's how tough of a cookie I am, had filling done on some teeth last week and didn't even take any novicane.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Shae

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 10:15:17 PM »
Debbie, you are really gutsy getting in that cold water! My water was 68 over the weekend and I still dread of thought of getting in.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 04:42:30 PM »
Now Kim That's tough! I had no other choise! That lotus needed to get in there.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 04:48:33 PM »
my pond is over 60...love that greenhouse! 

That lotus is probably calling you names putting it in that cold of water  >:(-
Mary

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 05:54:05 PM »
Well If it is I'm telling her to yell at Joyce. lol She said get them in the pond.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 06:12:38 PM »
Debbie,
   I braved mine in early March and it was cold enough then. It was 70 today but then again it was over 80  today. My lotuses broke the surface today with one of 5 pads I can see reaching for it. I can hardly wait. I waded in to set that pot and the water wasn't too bad... Still your a brave woman  ;)
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 06:17:46 AM »
I have a method that allows me to pull plants out of the pond and put them back in without having to get in at all.  I put rope handles on all my lily pots and then use 2 short-toothed garden rakes to hook each handle when I need to move them.  I can easily float even the big heavy pots out to where I want them or snag them and pull them out this way.  For those of you with big ponds this isn't much help though.  I'm far to much of a wimp to get in when the water is still icy cold.   :)  emm

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"