Author Topic: New Plants for 2007 (Post Yours Too!)  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
New Plants for 2007 (Post Yours Too!)
« on: April 08, 2007, 01:00:19 PM »
I went to Peconic River Herb Farm today.
Came home with these:

Ajuga reptans 'Rainbow'
Mini Hosta 'Dragon Tails'
Mini Hosta 'Green Eyes' (cuz I have green eyes)
Mini Hosta 'Cherish'
Mini Hosta 'Sunlight Child' (for my sunlight child Jamie.)
Viola 'Black Angel' (JAGs)
Viola 'Cutie Pie' (JAGs)
Mixed Allysum (JAGs)
Double Pink Gerbera Daisy (in JAGs bedroom)
Coprosma 'Rainbow Box'
Hippeastrum johnsonii 'Voodoo'
Zantedeschia (White Giant) 'Spotted Hercules'
Eucomis vandermerwei ‘Octopus’ (a new dwarf pineapple lily)

And a HUGE cast cement birdbath that weighs hundreds of pounds.
Will take a pic later when we get it set up.
 8)

What have you bought so far this year? :)

Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New Plants for 2007 (Post Yours Too!)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 05:16:52 PM »
There are several there that I'd love to see pics of . . . .like all the mini hosta and the ajuga and the hippeastrum and the zantedeschia . . . .

I got some wild zephyranthus today that I just love . . . . . smell just lovely.

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 07:05:28 PM »
 :D What have I bought already this year  :o

Well off ebay I have bought enough that I don't want to list it (incriminating evidence)  @O@  Lots of daylilies from Blueridge Buttons and a few other places.  Some Jap Maples, odds and ends of land plants.  Got in on the KPT group order for lilies (so much for no new lilies this year) {:-P;;

Now locally I bought pansies for my hanging baskets.  We have friends with a nursery and they use some of our 2 way radios every year and every year I get to go get FREE plants in exchange!  A great deal as far as I'm concerned!!
Mary

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 08:58:10 PM »
I've been really good so far - just a phormium and some strawberry plants from Lowe's, and a variegated red twig dogwood and a dwarf forsythia from my favorite local nursery, Valley View Farms north of Baltimore. Oh yeah, and a Stuttgart Canna rhizome (wahoo, I finally found it!), a double white Asiatic lily bulb, some pineapple lily bulbs and peacock lily bulbs. Oh, and 5 orchids from the Maryland Orchid Society show...Maybe I haven't been THAT good.

Of course, there are about a dozen plants on order from Select Seeds and Plant Delights. Mostly cool outdoor tropicals for my new tropical bed. Musa sikkimensis, Thunbergia grandiflora, Passiflora caerulea, Canna 'Orange Punch', a heat-tolerant fuchsia, and I can't remember what else and I don't want to look at my list because it'll be more like Christmas when the boxes finally come and I'm surprised!

Some nice plants in the mail from folks on here too, and the price was right! ;)
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 02:08:05 PM »
Here are some of my new aquisitions.

Narcissus 'Toto'
N. 'Love Call'
N. 'Quail'
N. 'Thalia'
N. 'Hawera'
N. 'Jetfire'
N. 'Easter Bonnet'
N. 'Kaydee'
N. 'Orangery'
Viola 'Etain'
Deschampsia flexuosa 'Tatra Gold' a dwarf grass that is bright lime green
Rhododendron 'Ria Hardijzer'
Carex elata 'Bowles Golden' another golden grass
Peony 'Bowl of Beauty'
Lilium 'Tom Pouce'
Lilium 'Triumphator'
Tulipa 'Little Beauty'
Hyacinth 'Odysseus'
H. 'City of Haarlem'

The bulbs were all purchased blooming in pots or done blooming for half off. I found a ton of fancy daffodils this year. Much more than any other year. I like to plant them when they are all blooming so I can combine them easier. Buying bulbs is cheaper than potted but I prefer this method.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 08:45:09 AM »
LeeAnne, do you know where I can purchase Deschampsia flexuosa 'Tatra Gold', online?

Also, Carex elata 'Bowles Golden' because Big Dipper Farm is sold out.......

Thanks,
Bonnie

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »
I bought the Deschampsia from Edelweiss Perennials, locally but they do sell online. They grow a lot of unusual stuff.

http://www.edelweissperennials.com/aboutus.asp

I got the sedge half price at a local garden center as it looked half dead. It wasn't though.

I do not buy much online. Oregon is a state with a lot of serious gardeners. We have a ton of specialty nurseries. There are also multiple sales each year where the little guys get together in one place and have booths.
I went to the Gardenpolooza last weekend and the Hardy Plant Society Sale will be this weekend.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 10:07:42 AM »
I'm going to try some dahlia's this year.  I keep saying I'm going to buy plants I don't have to dig up in the fall, but I did it again.  Smack my hands.

Last summer, one of my customers at work would bring a cutting and sit it on their table.  It was a dinnerplate size, it was beautiful. 

Other than that, ordered some Milky Way Elephant Ears. 

Kim
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 10:41:56 AM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 07:41:56 PM »
So far I have bought the two cypress, possibly sungold, a snow fairy Caryopteris that I have searched high and low for (bought a small one on ebay late last fall that hasnt came back, I have coming from ebay colorguard yucca that I hope will bring some color to my bank, and I love the big sky series coneflowers so I ordered all 5 of them on ebay.  I want the black lace and yellow elderberry and havent got them yet.  I hope to get two jap. maples this year and then I need tons of groundcovers and arrid loving plants for my banks.

tinkster

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 07:43:06 PM »
Just got an email confirmation from Big Dipper that my pkg is being sent:
'Marconi' Leucanthemum  ( I love daisies)
Little Gem Acer circinatum
'Rozanne'  Hardy Geranium
Mavis Simpson  "  "
Black Scallop Ajuga
Ordered  Georgia Peach Heuchera  but it's not avail. yet..........

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 07:44:40 PM »
So far I have bought the two cypress, possibly sungold, a snow fairy Caryopteris that I have searched high and low for (bought a small one on ebay late last fall that hasnt came back, I have coming from ebay colorguard yucca that I hope will bring some color to my bank, and I love the big sky series coneflowers so I ordered all 5 of them on ebay.  I want the black lace and yellow elderberry and havent got them yet.  I hope to get two jap. maples this year and then I need tons of groundcovers and arrid loving plants for my banks.

tinkster

Tink, I'm wanting to add Colorguard Yucca so please let me know if you're satisfied.

Thanks,
Bonnie

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 07:52:39 PM »
the colorguard came recommended by Joyce as a lovely plant that would love my arrid banks so I am sure I will love it!  I am into variegated stuffy and I think it looked so much better than the other one, think it was called brightedge??  :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"