Author Topic: Planting Pond Plants - soil vs bare root ??  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Kristin F.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Planting Pond Plants - soil vs bare root ??
« on: April 10, 2007, 05:02:10 PM »
A woman on another Forum gave me the hint to plant my Irises bare root in my pond, so I removed them from the "ugly & visible" pots and now they are much better looking ;)

Do you plant bare root in your ponds?
I know the Lilies need soil and therefore plant them in baskets or pots.. I've read that some of you plant them in dishpans and I'll definitely do that next time I'll repot & divide them ;)

BUT, what about other plants such as Oxygenators, Marsh Marigold, Variegated Sweet Flag & other "stuff"???

I would appreciate if you would share your knowledge on this

The pots are in my opinion so ugly and want a more "natural look" in the pond. Now that the pond water is crystal clear, everything in there is so visible ..

Any suggestions?
zone 8a

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: Planting Pond Plants - soil vs bare root ??
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 05:27:37 PM »
The only thing I do not plant bare root is waterlilies. Everything else is bare root among the rocks.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Kristin F.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 06:01:13 PM »
Thanks Lee Anne :)
-tell me; do you have Marsh Marigold (Calthas Palustris) planted bare root in your pond?
..I just want to be sure before I remove it from the soil and plant it bare root  :redface:
zone 8a

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 06:21:14 PM »
I have even heard where people bare rooted the lilies.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 06:28:48 PM »
The only thing I do not plant bare root is waterlilies. Everything else is bare root among the rocks.

Same here.

Kristin you might want to check this post out:
http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=2167.0

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
Hi Kristin, I have bare rooted lillies! I have some mini's left from my little pond so I divided them and had a bunch of left over so I just tucked them in some rocks and sure enouge they grew but didn't bloom.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline andrew davis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 11:32:14 PM »
Just about every aquatic plant will grow better bare root, I can't think of many that don't. Perhaps some of the slower growing, fleshier rooted plants such as golden club, marsh marigold, lysichiton, gunnera, arrow arum which really like a firm grip on very deep soft mud

Question is, is it desireable...

Crayfish, turtles, koi and a host of peckers can have a field day at the more tender succulent varieties. Some aquatic plants have evolved pecker proof roots, others haven't

Some plants growth rates are all too impressive. Yellow flag iris, large waterlilies, lotus, cyperus can hog a fertile pond rather fast. You might want to find a pot big and tough enough to confine them, or start saving up for a crew of labourers packing chainsaws

Some varieties are tetchy about being confined if the soil is too heavy and thick, lotus can fail...

Some varieties really need anchoring, aquatic iris especially, many is the time a light breeze has carried off a pretty plant to merrily emulate the final voyage of the Titanic in Davey Jones' locker.

Tiddly ittybitty hardy (buoyant) waterlilies can drift out of their pot to an uncertain fate if not pegged down adequately

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Offline Kristin F.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 05:23:14 AM »
Thank you all so much for your replies :)
-and thank you Bonnie for the link - I just missed that great thread .. lots of info  :D
zone 8a

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 02:15:50 PM »
Kristen,  I have some marsh marigolds in my gravel filter and while they grow well enough they are not lush.  I don't think they are getting enough nutrients, my fish load is quite light.  Another marsh marigold growing in my soil/peat bog does very well and I plan to move the plant that is in gravel into the bog area.  I realize that this is not exactly what you are asking but if my observations are correct the marsh marigold may need more nutrients than it can pull out of the pond water if the fish load is light.  The same is true of the 2 types of iris and the sweet flag that I have.  Other plants do just fine.  The various "oxygenators" grow to be large and healthy in the pond.  They are weighted down under lily pots or rocks.  Some are just left alone, they float for a while and then sink to the bottom of the pond.  I often have to thin the oxygenators out.  Hope this helps.  emm

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 05:34:09 PM »
My marginal are all bare rooted in the pond.  I have a few lilies that have so out grown pots I'd call them bare root.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Kristin F.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 08:00:37 PM »
Thanks Emm! That was exactly what I needed to know - thanks bunches :)

and Thank you also, Marla :)
zone 8a

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 01:08:45 PM »
Yes, I have Marsh Marigold bare root. Blooming it's head off right now
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Kristin F.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 01:48:39 PM »
Thanks Lee Anne, that's great!
-I'm going to remove my Marsh Marigolds from the pots and plant them soilless :)

Thank you all
zone 8a

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 03:32:34 PM »
I put water iris-and water celery and water hyicent, in my vegetable filters. I put the water iris in mesh wastebaskets and set them in the vegetable filter. I use it to filter the water and they grow like crazy. But they are in a preformed pond not in my water garden. I want no holes poked in my liners.

Offline luvmyasagis

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 05:20:22 AM »
All of mine except the waterlilies are without soil and do 100% better.
Have a blessed day

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"