Author Topic: Poor Doggy....  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Poor Doggy....
« on: April 18, 2007, 11:19:38 AM »
Early yesterday evening we were sitting in our front patio having dinner when we saw a silver mini-van come down the street with a white mix female husky running after it.  The car disappeared down the street and a few minutes later returned going the opposite direction and the dog was still running at full speed chasing it.  The vehicle was traveling at 15-20mph.  I laughed and said, "Well that's one way to exercise your dog."  A few minutes later the same vehicle and dog returned.  I could see that the driver was looking in his rear view mirror as if keeping track of the dog.  The same vehicle made a few more passes and the Fetching Mrs. Mikey commented that the dog's feet must be getting sore.  I also noticed that the dog was starting to run on the grass lawns where possible instead of running in the street.  The silver mini-van made one more pass, driving a little slower this time but the dog was about 100 yards behind.  When the dog got to the intersection where we live she stopped to look around for the car.  Our neighbor has a silver mini-van parked at the curb and the dog saw it and ran over to it, sniffed at it and then plopped down on the grassy parkway beside the vehicle.  She was panting heavily.  The Fetching One got a bowl of water and took it over to the dog.  Once there she saw that the dogs paws were bloody and the blood was smeared partially up her forelegs.  The Fetching One became angry and called our animal control but no one answered and she left a message.  In the meantime the exhausted dog laid there catching her breath.  She had no interest in the water and carefully looked at every passing vehicle.

About five to ten minutes later the same silver mini-van came slowly down the street.  As it passed the dog saw it and immediately began pursuing it down the street.  The Fetching One said she would stop the vehicle if it came by again and she would find out what was going on.  Soon the vehicle returned and stopped for the Fetching One who was standing in the middle of the street.  The driver explained in somewhat broken English that the dog was his and he was trying to catch it.   The dog came up to the driver's door and tried to jump on the Fetching One but she pushed her away because of the bloody paws.  She explained her concern to the driver about the bloody paws and he then got out of the vehicle and tried to get the dog inside.  The dog was less than cooperative and wouldn't budge.  The dog clearly was his but she didn't want to get inside the car.  The dog let him approach her and pet her but resisted being pulled over to the car.  He tried picking the dog up and the dog snarled at him and spun away.  The dog wasn't wearing a collar and the man eventually was able to calm her down and grab her by the nape of her neck and pick her up and get her inside the car.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Doggy....
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 11:33:18 AM »
OMG, that is horrible!  What cruelty!  Did your wife get the license plate number? 

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 11:37:21 AM »
I am ashamed of our species more and more of late. Love the fact that there still are Mrs. Mikeys around who will intervene.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 11:49:05 AM »
Why anyone would do that is beyond me. How sad. Atta girls for Mrs. Mikey  :thumbup:

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 12:02:20 PM »
That is so sad and horrible for the dog . . . I agree, thank goodness there are women like your wife who will intervene and try to help.  I would have also called the police.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 12:15:34 PM »
Why didn't that guy stop before the dogs paws got all bloody?  Freakin' dumb a$$  Oops, sorry :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 04:17:02 PM »
We figure the guy's dog was a runaway and he was trying to tire the dog out so as to be able to capture her but even that didn't really make much sense since he had no leash or collar for the dog.  In any event he should have known that her feet were hurting because she was running about 15-20mph for a long distance on asphalt.  He should have had a big clue once she quit running in the street and was running on the lawns.  I was really impressed with the endurance of that dog. 

It really was weird because the dog clearly recognized the car and appeared to like the owner but she didn't want to get inside the car for whatever reason. 

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 04:23:04 PM »
Maybe because he'd done that before and she associated the car with the painful, bloody feet . . .

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 07:05:03 PM »
Poor dog. I certainly don't condone what the driver did. But I have had two dogs that could run way faster then me if they got loose, and I would have to wait for them to get tired enough to come home. Luckily the present dog doesn't try to run off.  :hug:
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 09:18:55 PM »
Oh, that burns me up.  Thank goodness for your wife.

I think, Forrest Gump says it best.  Stupid is as, Stupid does.

That's just down right cruel.  Wonder how he'd feel if he had to run that long on hot asphalt. barefooted.   

{-)

I surely hope he gave his paws some attention, and don't let them get infected.  This will stay on my mind for a long, long time.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 10:28:40 PM »
Huray for Mrs. Mikey! I too hope she got the licens plate and still reports this jerk. >:(-
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 07:04:16 PM »
Thanks you Mrs. Mikey!   :hug:
Jim

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"