Author Topic: New resident in my Lotus  (Read 905 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New resident in my Lotus
« on: April 22, 2007, 04:52:57 PM »
Seems like I am not the only one who is enjoying my new Lotus. One of my native fish transplants has decided that this is now hers. She (and I am presuming here only because she is treating it like a bed. She is a largemouth bass and I saw a larger one on the farside. I also saw 10 Bream (sunfish) and too many Catfish to count. Look closely as she would not let me get too close.

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New resident in my Lotus
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 06:02:19 PM »
Very cool!  I tried to keep natives in my pond, but wasn't very successful . . . maybe cuz it gets too much shade or maybe cuz it's too deep.  Or maybe cuz the ones I tried to keep don't live that long and they didn't breed in my pond.  Wish I'd been more successful.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 07:41:55 AM »
 {nono}Oh PLEASE don't show that to my Husband! He'll be having a back hoe in here next week!!
Kathy

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 10:06:13 AM »
Cool Andy, I told dh to go catch me 2 small mouth to eat all that I don't want but he said they would try and eat my big Koi so I didn't get them? Would they do that?
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 10:21:56 AM »
Bass in general are an aggressive species however depending on the size of you Koi you would be safe. Small mouth are less aggressive than the florida strain Largemouth. They will eat anything smaller and slower than they are especially if it is shiny. If you have large Koi they are no danger especially since the Koi will get much larger than the small mouth. Bass have a hardy appetite so a monthly trip to the bait shop for live minnows may be in order. Hardy appetites means a hardy growth rate as well. If a Bass can get it in his mouth he will try to eat it. Trick is to have larger fish. With Koi that can be expensive.

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 10:30:28 AM »
that is calling my name to come fish :)

We use to go to a lake out of deltona florida to fish every february for crappie, pronounced up north as croppee :)  We are going to kelly's Island on lake eerie end of may to walleye fish and we always catch a bunch of white bass.. they throw them awyway up there as junk fish.. they are good if ya clean out the mud seam in them.  giving myself fishing fever!

tinkster

tinkster

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"