Author Topic: In search or varities of Taros  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
In search or varities of Taros
« on: April 09, 2007, 09:11:16 PM »
I want to get some more variety of taros for the pond. 

I have:  Mickey Mouse Taro (small)
            Green Taro
            Red (violet) Stem Taro 

Would like to have:

Nancy's Revenge
Tea Cup Taro
and any other names you can think of.

I will pay for them. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: In search or varities of Taros
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 12:45:28 AM »
You might check with Lawanna (Tranquility). She might have what you are looking for.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 08:01:32 AM »
OK, I looked at her site a little last night.  I'll go back and look at it again.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 08:03:35 AM »
I'll be having my taro package in a week or two....it contains a black magic, green ruffles, chicago harliqin and also a taro of my choice...so thats 4 taros for $15 plus shipping....Kim Pm me and we can work something out ....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 02:24:01 PM »
Lawanna.. please don't forget to let me know when they're available! 8-)~

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 04:15:42 PM »
Bonnie I won't....and it won't be long now..hopefully I'll be ready to start the thread for the taro package up by Monday......and start shipping them out on that following Monday....
Lawanna

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 04:55:50 PM »
I was out in my little greenhouse this afternoon.  I have alot of Taro's out there, just all the common ones.  Can't wait to expand my collection.

Kim

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 08:01:18 PM »
I still get so confused with the eears/taros.  so much conflicting info.  Last year I bought the black magic 3 of them on ebay, lady specificially said NOT a pond plant, nancyana which I loved the picture of, and a few more I cant remember the names of now . I got them on ebay and they came so small.. in a little 1" cup or so.  I planted the black taro in pots as the lady said they would grow huge quick.. I watered everyday sometimes twice but keep them in full sun..  grow maybe 18", coal black leaves.  I brought it in for the winter and its in front of a patio door not direct sun but good indirect light.. it has struggled and put up a ton of leaves which dyes off then another comes back.. its turned green now instead of the black black it was outside in the sun.. so I am wondering if likes full sun.  The nanacyana is doing about the same thing inside.. puts up a leaf then the leaf dyes and another takes it place.  The black magic 3 babies bulbs beside the one tiny bit bigger bulb.  I guess I am stil just confused on what to do with them before I kill them  as right now the plants are as small as when I got them last year :)

tinkster

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 08:17:39 PM »
Heres pictures of mine.  The nanacy ana is the tallest but she how just as the leaves start to getting the white viens they die back.  The hilo beauty is the spotted one and they all are dying back as they get any height.. any idea what I might be doing wrong.. might have to send them to you kim to save lol

tinkster

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 08:49:04 PM »
I've read that they sulk indoors but get happy again when they go outside.

It is normal for the black ones to turn green indoors because the light is not as bright.

They are VERY susceptible to spider mites indoors. I brought in several 'Black Runner' a few years ago, but the mites got so awful I had to throw them out lest they infest my whole house.

This year I have an unnamed "upright elephant ear" that I brought in and put in a cool dark room for the winter. It has done much better and, so far, no mites. 
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 05:00:00 AM »
Sheila you are sooo right.....I lost a couple of mine this year....I let the gh drop to lower temps at night than I ever have before to try and not get burned plants due to gas build up....instead I lost some plants  >:(-...lesson learned .....
 Tink I don't care what the lady said black magic CAN be kept in a pond.....they don't have to but, they can....basic rule of thumb-Colocasia can be kept in water...Alocasia and xanthosoma(which is what common EEs are) do not fair in water.....If you see any sign of life in them-and the tubers are still firm then they will return as soon as they are set outside....I have found mine do best in partial sun....and only really attract aphids when they are indoors....this year I went all winter with out an aphid outbreak on mine in the gh  @O@.....guess my array of spiders and praying mantis have paid off in the gh this year....and also when buying on Ebay(which is how I got started getting them) they are usually the most scrawny things...you have to baby them along time untill they start to grow.....Now I either trade for new varieties or buy them from forum people....In most cases you get 10 times better plants....
Lawanna

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 07:53:02 AM »
Tinkster, Tranquility is right.   

Hilo Beauty is an alocasia, and it won't grow in water.   The rest you have will.

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 08:15:33 AM »
I had mickey mouse, chicago harliquin, illusion, nancy regean, and red steam and the lime one but I lost all of them this winter :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( I guess I didn't store them right.  I kept them warm and in water but they turned to mush and got lots of bugs.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"