Author Topic: Loving the after FREEZE sales... help on banana and willow tree on standard.....  (Read 984 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I hate it had to freeze late in the season but I am sure loving the sales that follow these.  I have had my eye on the variegated willow on a standard tree for months but didnt want to pay 50.00  I am SOOO glad I didnt.  Lowe's had them marked down 75% which should of made them 12.99 but the girl said 6.24, I bought all 6 of them!  All my friends and family have claimed all but 2 and I am holding on to these.  The picture doesnt really show how pretty these are as the follage got bit and curled but they are beautiful if you havent seen them before!    I also got the hardly banana for 2.50.  I left 4 there and went back minutes later and one woman took them all, darn!

anyway. my questions.  I took the firepit out that I had dug in the middle upper part of my patio.  I am gonna use it as a circular flowerbed.  I planted the banana there but then got to thinking even though that firepit is huge, Its dug out in a clay bowl, I am down to sand rock and cant go any deeper and its at the base of my big banks where water drains.  In heavy rains I have seen it hold water for days.. .. Im afriad it might be to wet for its roots there .  Wondering if anybody can give me tips on growing the banana tree?  Kim I think you have one no?? I was thinking maybe a container?

Also any tips if the variegated willow would grow in that pit with wet roots??

Thanks in advance for any info..

tinkster
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 07:01:15 AM by tinkster »

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
The Hakuro Nishiki Willow (Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki') will absolutely LOVE wet feet, and grow twice as fast.
We have one planted next to the big display pond by the front gate at work, and it is literally planted in boggy soil and the edge of the pond where it is designed to overflow during rains. It is also now at least 10' wide and about 7-8' high. (been in the ground about 3 years, since the summer before my boss died)

The banana will love soil that stays consistently moist...but not soaking wet.
I know some people have grown bananas in the pond, and some varieties may like water more than others (like Elephant Ears) so I will not support a blanket statement declaring all bananas tolerant of wet soil. {nono}
I think it would be best to plant it on a bit of a slope (which you have a lot of!) and keep it well watered.
Maybe where you can backwash pond water for it. 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
Thanks much!  Its so good to see you back and hope your recovering well!

Is the willow as pretty as the picturs make it look. That size might be a bit more than I wanted for that area, didnt believe the tag when it said 6 ft x 6 ft.

I am still at the stage where I dont like to hide plants growing behind anything and behind that is where I am doing my rose gardens.. guess I will get over that huh.

tinkster

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Well then I am at that stage too! ;)
I do not like to hide plants either.
Unless there is a path to walk on to go see the hidden plants. {:-P;;

The willow can be gently pruned back, once it gets to the size you want. :)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Willows do love having wet feet like Joyce said. But I'm thinking if it only gets soaked once in a while and not a constant wet it may not grow as fast as Joyce's did. I have corkscrew willows and Auzzie trees witch are a fast growing tall willow. they reached 10 feet in 2 years. The first year willows do need to be watered heavy then you can back off a bit. They are messy tho, Tons of leaves in the fall and tons of those  >:(- catapiller things in the spring. So I'm always pulling out of the pond what the skimmer didn't.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
ewww.. I dont like the sound of that.. that is kind in the back but basically between both of my ponds.  I knew willows were messy but thought this type was different. I might have to place them both further away where they dont blow in the pond and I hate  caterpillars!

tinkster

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
No such sales here, nurseries don't have much stock yet, just comming in.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Tinkster, I don't know if hardy bananas are different but regular bananas are usually planted in low areas, almost bogs.  They love rotting plant material so dump your pond clippings on them as well as their own leaves when you cut them.  I planted mine in pure compost about 2.5' deep and 4' wide and they have taken off, the space is full of pups and last years stalks.  I'd keep them wet, and I don't think it will bother them if they get flooded occasionally, that's what happens to the ones I see in the tropics.  They are in creek beds and bogs and in the rainy season their feet stay wet.  They throw vegetable garbage on the bananas too, they really like a lot of mulch and compost.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
I grow bananas too. I just plant them everywhere. And I bought a dwaft Cavendish at a greenhouse growing in water. I saw some of them on the pond tour last summer.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"