Author Topic: ideas for the SuperCheap Deck-Pond? pics  (Read 831 times)

Offline kennef

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
ideas for the SuperCheap Deck-Pond? pics
« on: May 15, 2007, 07:14:48 AM »
hey folks,

Looking for some advice or ideas on how to plant in the upper part of the deck pond, now that it is as large as it is. I was thinking that i want my marginals in flower boxes possibly, but i'm not sure how to hold them there. i dont really have the room for a shelf in the pond itself, so what do you all think of hanging them off the side, partially sunk in?

anyway, i'm gonna show you where i am at today,  and please excuse the mess, i'm working on cleanup today after that busy mothers day weekend.. :)

Here i was thinking about running some brackets along the wall and setting the lip of the flower boxes on them... so that they were half sunk into the pond, then landcaps cloth under the soil to wick up water maybe?

I am also toying with the idea of setting something up in that corner, as you can see i have extra liner there and could maybe make a little waterfall or something?

the old barrel filter, has been 2 years since i used it, but i think with the added pond, it will need it

the wife insists we keep this trickle tower...:) it has character, even if it is crumbling apart

still working on the spillway, the bricks are temporary....

any suggestions you folks might have would be welcomed as always... it helps get the brainstorming going...:)

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: ideas for the SuperCheap Deck-Pond? pics
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 05:04:08 PM »
I don't know if you can still get them but quite a few years ago I had some window box type containers made of plastic that were meant for hanging off a deck railing. They came with their own metal bracket to suspend them over the rail. They were only about 6 inches deep though and dried out too quickly hanging in the sun but they might be ideal for what you want. Mine were white but they may come in different colors.
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 05:13:26 PM »
I've seen those metal pot hangers, wal-mart/k-mart  some are for round pots some for rectangular.  I wonder though if submersed if they would rust after awhile.  It's looking good though.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 12:21:17 PM »
I think I would hang something off the side of the deck rail or from the side of the pond hanging inside the pond. maybe you can use wreath hangers in plastic to hold small pots? it might grab the pot under the rim. My husband once made me planter boxes out of aluminum gutters because I wanted a very long span between 2 windows. You could silicone the end pieces in places so they hold water if youw ant water plants. If youa re planting in sopil be sure to add alot of that soil moist crystal stuff that holds extra water for the plants. It was cheap and when the plants grew you couldnt' see the gutter part at all.
Kathy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"