Author Topic: Filtering Material... chair pads.. Kim is this what you were talking about??  (Read 1025 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I found these at walmart.  I remember Kim telling me she found something htere she liked.. this is chair pads that are made of compressed polyester.  QUilt batting just falls apart way to quick for me... anybody try these??

tinkster

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Why not?  Aren't the floor scrub pads cheaper?  They sure work.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Loritx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
A week or so ago, as I was looking at my green pond water. I was trying to think if I had something in my craft closet that I could use to filter with..... I had a piece of one of that very same chair pad left over from a project!!!  I thought "what the heck" and put it in a plastic basket and put it in under the waterfall. It looked weird but I left it there for 2 days to see just how much was getting past my other filters!!  It was 'Black' when I removed it! I just tossed it - it really didnt look like it would rinse out very well and it was peeling apart (its just compressed layers)!  So it will filter pretty well, but I dont think it would last long.  But I think it would last longer than loose fiberfill and easier to remove from a skimmer or other filter.

So last Friday I went and got 2 1inch thick filter pads from the pond store and took out the 'brushes' from my skimmer and put in the extra filter pads.

Would you believe my water Cleared up in 2 days!!!!  Sunday morning I went out to feed the fish and could see the bottom for the first time - my pond is 2 months old!!
Lori TX

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
Yes, it looks like what we use.  I just had dh look at the pic because he is the one that went and bought them this year, and I said does it look like what you bought.  He said I think so.  But by reading it, it sounds like it.  I think you will be pleased with it.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Shawn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
Tink,  I use those here too!  I also get the yellow chair forms...  They seem to do pretty well, and hold up better than the others.. Able to rinse them out.. however, if you use koi clay or anything of the sort, they definitely get nasty feeling when you clean them..   :P :P   If you look down the maintenance aisle, the blue furnace filters work pretty good too.. I cut them up, make several layers in a basket, put the yellow foam pads, and then the white foam pads...  Then, if I really want it to clean up, I add quilt batting...  Most all of it needs cleaned out a lot during the beginning of the season, later on not so much...
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
~ Mark Twain

Russell, Kentucky  Zone 5

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    • View Profile
The "Nu-Foam" is also available by the yard at some fabric stores.  I have found it at Hancock's and at JoAnn's. 
Ruth o( o(
Ruth

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"