Author Topic: Fantastic Filter Cleaning medium.  (Read 1447 times)

Offline CliffandJoann

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
Fantastic Filter Cleaning medium.
« on: May 30, 2007, 03:35:40 PM »
The head groundskeeper swiped my new 1.50 wallmart laundry bag again...Three years ago he
did the same thing.  {nono}
Here's what he does, he fills the bottom of the bag with Easter grass (the kind in the Easter baskets)
and ties a nylon tie around the middle

Then he turns the bottom into the top (so that there is double netting around the grass)
 and puts the bag into the last filter tub.
When he cleans out the filters he takes this bag and rinses it up and down in a 5 gallon
pail filled with pond water (then he uses that water, to water the plants and flowers.)
He swears by this grass and thinks it's fantastic, the amount of gunk that clings to this grass
is amazing. He now has two laundry bags filled with Easter grass. The old bag still has the
 original Easter grass in it.
He thinks the grass helps to keep the pond clear and it's very easy to clean, no wringing
out like he used to do with quilt batting and filter mats.

Another thing he does...
The Punks in back of the pond (next to the walking stick tree) are in a tub buried in the ground,
we're hoping for a good showing of punks.
The hibiscus in the ground is in a pot, as well as the large germanium in the back.

Bonus shot, the plants on top of the waterfall are in pots as well...he has several pots planted that
are in reserve and continually moves them around when the other pots need a rest.
So far 8 flats have been planted, hmmm...I see some room for more flowers.

Went to Wallmart for another 1.50 bag, and there were none left. >:(-
 :( I asked him, "did you tell anyone your
trade secret!?!"  I had to spend five bucks for an canvas one. :(
He said, "Your the one that tells everybody everything!" blah, blah , blah!

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Fantastic Filter Cleaning medium.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 03:39:58 PM »
Haha! How CLEVER is that!? I'm going to try it. Wonder if I can find easter grass this time of year? The color doesn't matter I assume.
Kathy

Offline CliffandJoann

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 03:47:11 PM »
I save my grass from Easter baskets, I give away Easter bread, and I pack it with some grass around it.
Do you have any in your kids baskets? color doesn't matter...and it lasts for years, just double bag it,
 to make sure none can get out to clog up your pumps.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 04:05:15 PM »
I've heard of people using Easter Grass before but never did hear any follow ups on how it was working for them.

I bought a few types of plastic strapping but it has more void space than Easter Grass would but I guess I could use both.... 

Wow has your Harry Lauder's Walking Stick grown!  I never have found one at a resonable price yet. I could have kicked myself when I didn't purchase one at Walmart when they had them a few years ago....

Offline CliffandJoann

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 05:05:25 PM »

Bonnie, I had to go back and look at the old pic's this was the walking stick 6-13-03
look how small it was! Look how small everything was! You could actually see the biological
pond back then (the water was full of duckweed for the pups snacks, they love duckweed.   :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 06:46:28 PM »
Your pond is beautiful!!!  Thanks for the tip.  I will definitely try it out.  How large is your pond in gallons?

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 10:08:42 PM »
I lay my media on a big wire rack and use a high pressure nozzle on it.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline CliffandJoann

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 04:11:35 AM »
miguy, the pond is 2500 gallons.

Forgot to tell you guys the first time, the pond store was selling the
mesh bags for 32.00  :o Looked the same as the 1.50 bag!  :o

Cliff said when he first started using the Easter grass it was
for biological filtration, then he realized how effective it is as a mechanical filtration.
It holds a lot of stuff and it easy to rinse the stuff off. He said, he's going to get
another mesh bag and use it in the skimmer as well.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 07:10:19 AM »
Wow! great pictures as usual... That wise old beagle looks a little grey around the gills.. Beagles Rock! and they also burrow.  Does yours sing?  I don't mean bay, I mean sing....

Offline CliffandJoann

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 02:24:54 PM »
John, He doesn't sing, just howls like a beagle. Beagles are very affectionate as you know.
Cliff got his first Beagle 'Rip' when he was 4 years old and has had one ever since.
Cj is old, gray and deaf, it's sad to see them get so old. He no longer can hear the
refrigerator door open from 16 blocks away.  :) This is our 4th Beagle and everyone
of them was and is always hungry.

Offline kennef

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 03:47:40 PM »
my filter bag is a mesh sack that used to be a Terrarium for Old World Chameleons. someone gave it to me for free, and i ended up using the pipe frame pieces to make spray bars for my aquariums over the years. inside the bag i am using chopped up pieces of pool hose, but i think i might make a 2nd bag from easter grass. 

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 09:08:56 PM »
Everything looks wonderful, always looks good.  What a cleaver idea, finally a use for the easter grass.  I have it, but never use it.  It always ends up in the floor and a cat will end up eating it, then that creates a mess.  So, I just leave it out, but now I know where I can put it.  Cha ching.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"