Author Topic: Overcrowded?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline -Greg-

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
Overcrowded?
« on: May 29, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
I have a small 100 gal. pond, and a 5 gal. skipping pouring down into a small stream. The pond has been up and running for about 9 months, always crystal clear, and seamingly very healthy. I currently have two small 4" koi, 3 "fancy" gold fish. Plants include  "1 rosa de noche" , 1 "afterglow", 1 "Ted Uber", and 1 "uber ivory" lilly. I also have some Horsetail rush, parrot's feather, pennywort, and miniature sagittaria. Last Thursday I pulled everything out, cleaned 75% of the bottom sediment, fertilized everything, and then placed back into the pond, when I did this, I noticed I had some new additions to the pond, from what I can tell, ther looks to be about 12 new fish, about an inch long, and black in color. I went away for the weekend, and when we got back, there was a fair amount of algae growing in a few of the streams holding areas. I ordered a few floating water hyacinth's today hoping that will help with any algae problems, but I am thinking that because of the new "additions", my water balance is off. Am I overcrowding this small pond? It was very hot here over the weekend (100+) and I do not have much coverage from the lilly pads yet, so I am guessing that this added to the algae bloom, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks..

Greg

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Overcrowded?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 06:30:55 PM »
The black/ brown babies are probably mules. Mules are the babies of a koi/goldfish mix. They are supposed to be sterile.
Probably alot of fish for 100 gallons, not sure of the inch/gallon ratio. Someone here will know.
Kathy

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 08:32:48 PM »
Yes it is dramatically undersized for even one tiny koi. When you cleaned it you probably disturbed the natural bacteria that helps to convert ammonia to nitrites to nitrates. 100 degree temperatures and 100 gallons? Doesn't sound like a good combination.

Fertilizing the plants is also a way of introducing a great deal of nutrients especially in that volume of water. Do you do frequent water changes? Why not clean 100% of bottom sediment?

Do your koi a favor and find them a new home.

IF you want koi learn about their specific needs:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66

You have to join to see the pics.

Hardcore koi keepers:

http://www.koishack.com/forums/index.php

They can be a bit harsh...

Offline -Greg-

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the comments, at the time, the the Koi and the gold fish were very small, and the guy at our "local" pond place, Van ness water gardens, told me that the 5 small fish would be good for that size, now all 5 have grown, and with the new babies, I suspect you are right about too many fish, I also have not done any major water changes, only 10% and only twice, again at the suggestion of the pond place, I also have a auto water filler. I did the 75% cleaning at the advice of the same people (I will do more research this time), apparently as to not remove all of the "good" bacteria at the bottom of the pond. Thanks again for the help!

Greg

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 09:14:06 AM »
Greg, I'm sorry but 5 fish in 100 gallons is way too many. Even if they are goldfish, let alone Koi. All goldfish fry start out black so that is what you've got. They breed faster than rabbits.

Most experienced ponders believe Koi should not be kept in ponds that are below 1000 gallons and/or 3' deep.

Many employees don't know what they are talking about or their job is to sell. Many ponders are sold too many of the wrong kind of fish and chemicals and expensive gadgets they don't need.

Algae happens in all ponds, some of it beneficial.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline -Greg-

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 11:10:09 AM »
Thanks LeeAnne, I am currently looking at purchasing a liner and starting over, this time alot bigger and deeper!

Greg

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 03:58:11 PM »
It is a really nice looking pond and stream, nothing wrong with it at all unless you want Koi.

Most of us have more than one water feature or have enlarged our first one or are constantly tweaking. Welcome to the club. :)
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline -Greg-

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 07:01:02 PM »
Thanks LeeAnne for the help, truth be told, I did not like the size and shape of the preform, or the overall look of the pond/stream, especially after looking at all of the beautiful ponds on this site! Hopefully this one will be better!

Greg

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 07:11:09 PM »
Do lots of research before you build, it will be time well spent.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"