Author Topic: Tadpoles and Gullywashers  (Read 815 times)

Offline the Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tadpoles and Gullywashers
« on: May 28, 2007, 02:22:50 PM »

It's been raining all weekend there in Houston (so much for Memorial Day plans!  :-\ )

I've talked before about my RubberMaid tubs housing tadpoles.  Well, I thought the rain would be good for the little fellas, because it's natural, and it filled up the evaporating tubs.

But... it rained TOO MUCH, and I came home to find that the rain had overflowed the tubs.  And the stupid tadpoles are TOO DUMB to know to stay away from the edge, so I found ZILLIONS of them had washed over the sides, and were on the patio bricks, between the paver cracks, and on vegetation.  Mostly still living.

They may be tough at surviving horrid living conditions (puddles, brick pavement), but the little guys don't fare well when pinched between finger and thumb, or tried to be scooped up with leaves or a thin knife or piece of paper or any such thing.

I managed to save quite a few of them, but I know many were lost.

I also took my siphon and drained some of the tub water (including tadpoles that got sucked up) into my larger pond, where they seem to do well.  At least, better than getting washed onto the sidewalk.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Tadpoles and Gullywashers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 06:56:59 PM »
Oh No! How frustrating!! How many tadpoles did you have? What kind are they?
I always feel so responsible for my wet pets. It upsets me when I lose one. I feel like i let them down.
Kathy

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Tadpoles and Gullywashers
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 07:01:38 PM »
If I thought I had frogs I might care but the toad population is immense between what hatches on the pool cover and in the two ponds. So I don't care much if I lose a few. I even scooped out some eggs and tossed them.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"