Author Topic: Bottom Drains?  (Read 769 times)

Offline sheepie

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Bottom Drains?
« on: June 08, 2007, 07:31:49 PM »
I have been thinking of putting in a bottom drain to help with keeping my pond clean but don't no much about them I think it would have to be a retro fit bottom drain cause I don't want to tear the whole thing apart to put one in

guess my question is does anyone have one and do you like it was it worth the money and the work to put it in

my pond is  20x15x3 deep
Bessie

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
Re: Bottom Drains?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 07:50:54 AM »
Don't have one, but if I ever build another pond it will come with bottom drains.  I know you can retrofit them, but can't advise on the best way. 

Bart

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 07:07:25 PM »
I don't know any thing about retro fit bottom drains but one of smartest things I ever did when I built new pond 3 years ago was put one in. I had a pond for 5 years with out B. D. or skimmer when we moved I built new pond. After reading all advice on here  and other forums decided to put both in in new pond. Am very happy and pleased with both. Bottom drain goes via gravity feed to settlement pond then 2  55 gal. DIY filters then pumped from there via sequence 750 to 100 gal. skippy waterfall.  Works great. My advice if you are building new pond or redoing spend the money and time and put skimmer and bottom drains in you will not be sorry. Good luck. :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 08:42:54 PM »
The retro drains are better than no drains.

Aquaart makes a pretty good one.  http://www.aquaart.com/drain.html  I'd use a pipe boot to go through the side of the pond rather than going over the side.  I'd put it to a settlement tank of some kind.

For that large a footprint pond you might want to go with 2.  They are affective to about a 6 foot diameter around the drain.

Mary

Mary

Offline sheepie

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 09:34:28 PM »
Thanks for all your help now I just need to figure out the set up that I would  need to do to  put one in

Bessie
Bessie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"