Author Topic: 20% Off....... I can't stay away....  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
20% Off....... I can't stay away....
« on: June 15, 2007, 08:13:51 AM »
One of my favorite nurseries is having a 20% discount on everything.  It's a 1 1/2 hour drive but it's worth it.  Besides, it's an excuse to eat at the nearby Spaghetti Factory.....  This nursery is so cool because they have display gardens with plants in the ground so that you can actually get an idea as to how big they get and how they look.  I don't have much room left for planting, so maybe I won't spend too much......  Later....

Buena Creek Gardens: http://www.buenacreekgardens.com/
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: 20% Off....... I can't stay away....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 08:36:55 AM »
Well have fun I envy you! I don't have a large yard and after the lily pond gets finished we won't have room for much else.

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 08:40:41 AM »
We have a nursery like that here too and I just love seeing the plants in the ground. Unfortunately I end up spending more there than at any other nursery. Enjoy your trip and show us what you end up buying.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 09:59:56 AM »
San Diego County seems to have the best nurseries.  The don't call it the "Banana Belt" for nothing.
2.5 to 3 hours  for us to visit. Coming home is tough too.  The freeways at rush hour are a parking lot! :'( :-\ :'( :-\
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 12:12:45 PM »
Enjoy your tripped, hope you get lots of pretties.

Spaghetti Factory, mmmmmmmmm  that sounds so good.  Think its time for me to make a trip to ours one night soon.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 12:48:40 PM »
Have fun, don't spend too much. I love the white clam sauce at the Spaghetti Factory and their creamy pesto salad dressing. Wish they didn't use bagged lettuce though, I hate that taste.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 01:01:30 PM »
Ohhh! that nursery has been on my 'have to visit' list for awhile.  It's a drive from here too.  hmmmm, it's the weekend though and traffic won't be so bad on Sunday.  Definitely a thought.  I really want to find some giant cannas for the fence, and some more bananas... oh boy!

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 01:16:15 PM »
I was sure hoping it was north of you. Drat.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 03:21:51 PM »
Mainly, it is west of us.  There isn't a quick route over the mountains though, either scenic through Anza or up near Riverside and west.  I don't think we're going to make it, darn!  My friend - and fellow gardener and nursery cruiser - has to work half a day on Sunday (she's a nurse at the Eisenhower Infusion Center) and I have something I have to do tomorrow.  We decided it may be for the best, we know we'd spend a lot of money.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 09:18:02 PM »
Well, I spent too much...sigh....  We purchased 8 plants consisting of a couple of tropical vines (Brazilian Firecracker vine and Dalechampia "Purple Wing" vine) a Canna (Australian), a couple of Kangaroo Paw plants, a Penstemon 'Lavender Ruffles', Impatiens balfourii (Poor Man's Orchid), and a Gaura hybrid.  We quit shopping once our wagon was full.....

Impatiens balfourii (Poor Man's Orchid)

Brazilian Firecracker vine (Manetha inflata)

Penstemon 'Lavender Ruffles'

Jerry: The drive wasn't bad.  It was exactly 1 1/2 hours down.  Traffic was moderate on our way back with a few slow spots but the car-pool lane was flowing it's usual speed of 65-80mph....  We arrived home around 2pm.

Kim: We did in fact have lunch at the Spaghetti Factory in San Marcos....  MMmmmm good!

Mike: If you see anything you like you know I can always take cuttings for you for our next get-together.

Jonna: I didn't see any real tall cannas.  They had maybe 6 or 7 different varieties.  I bought the Australian which gets fairly tall but it is also spindly and falls over easily.  Karchesky & Harris has a great selection of cannas at what I believe to be fair prices.  http://www.karcheskycanna.com/

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 11:53:35 PM »
You got some beautiful plants.  I love Kangaroo Paw, I have one by the pond, it probably needs more sun but it is blooming.

That was a great link for Cannas, I spent the last hour there  O0  Because I want to spread them along a 10' section of fence, I'm looking for a few less expensive ones and I will spread them out as they create new tubers.  I really like the Banana Canna (c. musafolia) and the Black Knight variety Boca Blue.  I also really like the red La Fayette.  I'm hoping the winds we get up here occasionally won't be too much for them, or that the fence will give them enough support and protection.  Anyway, thanks for the link.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"