Author Topic: For those with children  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
For those with children
« on: June 15, 2007, 06:21:35 AM »
Is there a magic cutoff period when offspring become accountable for their own actions? Is there a wonderful moment when parents can become detached spectators in the lives of their children and shrug, "It's their life," and feel nothing? 

When I was in my twenties, I stood in a hospital corridor waiting for doctors to put a few stitches in my son's head. I asked, "When do you stop worrying?" The nurse said, "When they get out of the accident stage." My mother just smiled faintly and said nothing. 

When I was in my thirties, I sat on a little chair in a classroom and heard how one of my children talked incessantly, disrupted the class, and was headed for a career making license plates. As if to read my mind, a teacher said, "Don't worry, they all go through this stage and then you can sit back, relax and enjoy them." My mother just smiled faintly and said nothing. 

When I was in my forties, I spent a lifetime waiting for the phone to ring, the cars to come home, the front door to open. A friend said, "They're trying to find themselves. Don't worry, in a few years, you can stop worrying. They'll be adults." My mother just smiled faintly and said nothing. 

By the time I was 50, I was sick & tired of being vulnerable. I was still worrying over my children, but there was a new wrinkle. There was nothing I could do about it. My mother just smiled faintly and said nothing. I continued to anguish over their failures, be tormented by their frustrations and absorbed in their disappointments. 

My friends said that when my kids got married I could stop worrying and lead my own life. I wanted to believe that, but I was haunted by my mother's warm smile and her occasional, "You look pale. Are you all right? Call me the minute you get home. Are you depressed about something?"   

Can it be that parents are sentenced to a lifetime of worry? Is concern for one another handed down like a torch to blaze the trail of human frailties and the fears of the unknown? Is concern a curse or is it a virtue that elevates us to the highest form of life? 

One of my children became quite irritable recently, saying to me, "Where were you? I've been calling for 3 days, and no one answered.  I was worried. " I smiled a warm smile."  The torch has been passed. 

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: For those with children
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 09:15:30 AM »
Oh....I like this!!!! It will be printed and placed on our bulletin board.

Our 24 year old daughter just moved back home. She has finally decided what to get her degree in (landscape architecture...do you suppose living around plants since she was born had an affect???!!!) and by moving home she will be able to take more classes, since she won't have the expenses of living on her own she can put that moeny saved towards another class or 2 plus she won't have to work so many hours to cover her expenses so will be able to handle more class work (although our rule is once you move out there will be some expenses if you move back, but nothing close to being on her own).
Anyway......our son is 18. Mikaela gives him advice now and it's the same stuff, often word for word, that we 'tried' to give her that she usually acted like we were nuts or stupid when hearing it. It cracks Rich and I up!!!  lol And the best part is Quinn actually takes most of her advice to heart. It's great!!! We figure God is giving us a break by having Q's sister guide him some and letting Mom and Dad relax some.
Gotta love 'em, right???  ;)
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 06:37:53 PM »
Sounds like you made a good start and it is coming "home to roost". I know, mine came back too. One came back once and when he left that time, it was to get married. The other came back a couple of times and I hold my breath when he calls now and he's 28.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
That was wonderful Esther.  I have been caught "off guard" at every turn in my kids' lives wondering if I'm ever gonna get a chance when I'm not thinking of some way to help, pay for, go with, drive to, babysit for, or generally take over!  lol

I don't feel so alone now... ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 08:24:22 PM »
So true Ester, so true.

Mine are 27 and 28 now, both married, and financially OK...better than the old folks in fact.  DD has a nearly 4 yr old daughter.  It is so funny that when they call you immediately know from their greeting how their life is going today.
"hey Mom"  or "Mommmmmmmma"

DD lived at home for 2 yrs of college and DS for his second year. 

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 03:56:00 AM »
Esther, that was great, truer words have never been spoken. 

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 06:31:07 PM »
My older son has a way of saying, "Hi Mom" when he calls and then he takes a deep breath and kinda hesitates when he has some bad news. But sometimes he does it anyway so I get all tensed up for no reason.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"