Author Topic: More Pics of Reedman's Pond.  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
More Pics of Reedman's Pond.
« on: June 19, 2007, 08:52:08 PM »
Dave I am drooling over that Midnight in the pond, pic 1003  8-)~ 8-)~ 8-)~ He's BEAUTIFUL!!!! I REALLY would like to make a trip out there.  o(:-)

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: More Pics of Reedman's Pond.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 08:54:21 PM »
And some more. I was only allowed 4 pics.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 08:56:25 PM »
Couple more..........

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 09:14:19 PM »
Thanks Nancy,

The midnight shubunkins in the pond are about 10" long.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 10:37:25 AM »
Well he is one good looking fish.  8-)~ I need directions. And when are you leaving for the day?   {:-P;;

Offline koiedge

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 12:44:31 PM »
Ok, I have to ask. And I am sure others want to know too.

Where did you get the midnight shubunkins?

Cheers,

Jeff

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 12:56:45 PM »
 :D thanks for sharing Nancy.

Love the midnight Shubs but cn't find them around here.  Went for Shubs in the calico colors with lots of black and white.  Thanks to Reedman I found Shubs with long flowing fins  ;)

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 01:01:22 PM »
Well, holy horses houve,! I was counting  ran out of fingers and toes, AND, there are still MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE LITTLE BEAUTIES o(:-)

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 10:07:32 PM »
Hunting Creek Fisheries, Thurmont MD. 

Only have them very early spring and then again in the early fall, very expensive.  They only can breed 20,000-40,000 and they ship worldwide. 

http://www.huntingcreekfisheries.com/

Many of what they sell as midnight blue shubunkins have blotches of orange, red.  I don't buy those.  Some of the ones I bought 3-4 years ago are entirely black.  The last few years the owner helped me pick out the best patterns.  Some of the ones I bought were just below the quality they kept for breeders.

I drive down one hour, hand pick the ones I want.  They bag and box them up like they are going to ship them and I put them in my car.  I like talking to the owner - it's a very interesting business.  Spring fed creeks flow under the building in which they have their holding tanks. 

My pond is too small for koi to thrive, so my midnight shubunkins and sarassa comets are my pets.

If I had more land, I would put in a smaller pond for just sarassa comets and make my current pond a midnight blue shubunkin pond only!   :thinking: (8:-)
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline koiedge

• Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 03:52:15 AM »
Wow, thanks for the info. Sounds like a good company.

I will have to check it out.

Cheers,

Jeff

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 11:39:35 AM »
The PVC structure over my pond is 9' high and strung with 4" mesh nylon netting.  As you see in the pic you really can't see it. 

What a job that was building the structure and putting a 100' net over top of it.  I made a "T" with left over PVC pipe to lift the net over and reposition it over the structure.  Took about an hour.  But, no herons or egrets can get at my fish - they would die trying.  The small birds can (and do) fly in and out with out much trouble.
Reedman

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 03:42:23 PM »
Reedman I love your pond and fish.

Would it be possible to put greenhouse plastic over the whole thing for the winter?

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 08:30:27 PM »
SueSTx,

We usually get 3-4 feet of snow here each winter.  I only have one cross bar (off center) so the weight of one snowfall would most likely collapse the entire frame.

We get the coldest of the cold and the hotest of the hot weather here in southcentral PA, usually down to 5 degrees and up to 95 degrees every year.  Its a wonder the fish survive.

I shut down the waterfall/pump for the winter.  Otherwise, a power outage during winter would probably burst the PVC plumbing.

Reedman

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"