Author Topic: New Life Found  (Read 984 times)

Offline Celia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New Life Found
« on: June 21, 2007, 05:59:15 AM »
After feeding the fish, I was walking along pond side and spotted something tiny swimming beneath the green waters.  My first thought was, I don't have any fish that small, but now I do.  Two little fish, about 1 1/2 inch are kinda living all to themselves along the side of pond where I have a lot of pots of bog plants and a big bog planter with hiding places under and behind it.  I didn't think my fish were old enough to spawn, wrong again.  They were probably 5-6 inch  some 6-7 inch last spring.  Much bigger now.  I guess since they have figured out how to survive this long, maybe best to leave them in the pond to grow as big as possible before winter.  Do the koi eat the babies if they find them, I know I have frogs that will if they get to them.   They are Koi babies, but not anything exotic. 
Celia

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New Life Found
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 07:17:26 AM »
I have a bunch of 'squito fish, but one day last summer I saw one with a fan tail....appears a couple Wakins got busy.  I only had one that survived, who knows how many there were, but "Peanut" is now about 3-4 inches.  I also had a shubunkin but it didn't make it past winter, not sure why.

I'm not sure if there were other Wakins that were eaten up or what...but one did make it.

the shubbie that I found last year.

The baby wakin (Peanut)....

...and Peanut today.  I'm not sure if this is his final coloring, if it is I'm sure some people would cull him, but he's just fine for me....he's at the bottom, in the center of the picture.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Celia

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 07:33:11 AM »
Oh, Peanut would be a keeper to me also.  He definitely has the wakin body shape, how unique if he kept that color.  Nice Pics
Celia

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 01:01:52 PM »
I was told that size doesn't matter - fish only need to be two years old (or maybe two seasons??) to mate and spawn. 

Offline Celia

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 01:43:17 PM »
This would be two seasons then.   Thanks for the info
Celia

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"