Author Topic: I FIXED MY LEAK!!!  (Read 966 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I FIXED MY LEAK!!!
« on: June 25, 2007, 08:21:40 AM »

I am SOOOO happy!  I spent a day off (mostly waiting for the rain to stop, then about 3:00 finally made a go of it, working 'til 8:pm or so) working on my slow-leaking bog filter.

The problem was that the liner was about 1" too short, and there was a fold or two were water was able to "wick" itself between the layers, and, drop by drop, it was able to drain my pond by 100 gallons a day.  And this is from a 550 gallon pond!  Not good!

I thought I would have to drain the whole thing, and had bought a new, one-foot longer liner, to redo the pond and bog.  This, of course, in Houston's June heat, would stress the fish, living in 5-gallon buckets while I worked, not to mention me doing all that work.

But at the last minute, it flashed on me that, without draining a drop of water, all I had to do was to raise the back (leaking) end of the bog filter, to above the level where the water goes over my waterfall into the pond.

And that's what I did.  Removed the plants, then 600 lbs of gravel.  Raised the 3'x2' frame made of 2"x4" lumber, shoved some pressure-treated boards under the rear end, washed the gravel (amazingly full of fish poo and plant bits, after only 3 months existance) and replaced all the gravel and plants.  Then put back the really cool trough-shapped stone that is my waterfall, and replanted the bog. 

Took 5 hours and a sore back.  But it works - and no leaks!!   Soooo happy!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I FIXED MY LEAK!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 09:06:28 AM »
Pictures pleeeaasssee  ::) We want to see your back breaking job and the lucky  o(

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 03:27:51 PM »
Yes! Pics please!!
Kathy

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 04:11:48 PM »
Oh Geesh!  I wish I COULD!  I really enjoy looking at you'all's pictures, and I'd like to share some of my own.

But I don't have a digital camera, and even if I did, I wouldn't have a clue of how to get the pics off the camera and into the computer.   :-\

Actually, I got "The World's Smallest Digital Camera" as a joke for Christmas.  Holds about 10 photos. If I can figure it out, I'll try to take some shots.

I DO have a nice pond.  Small, but nice.  And, I LOVE my fish.    ;D

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 10:09:09 AM »
Gee that sounds like a BIG job, not as big a job as a total re-do but plenty big enough!  Glad your problem is solved.  emm

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 10:29:20 AM »
 O0 Glad you fixed it  O0

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"