Author Topic: Drunk driver crashed his van into our house  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Drunk driver crashed his van into our house
« on: June 23, 2007, 09:37:44 AM »
Around 1:30 this morning (SAT 6/23) a drunk driver crashed his large utility van into the center of our duplex.  No one was hurt but our shared front wall and both doors are smashed in about a foot.  The first four feet or so of our shared interior wall is crumpled in.

Sorry about the run-on sentence:  He had hit a car up the street, hit a parked car on the opposite side of the street, that car ended up about 100' down the street, front right tire of his van broke off, that caused him to head straight toward our duplex, broadsided another parked car in front of my neighbor's half of the duplex, spun that car around almost 180 degrees and ended entirely on my neighbor's yard, and the van smashed into our house.

The van driver at first told a neighbor down the street that the one car caused the accident and that driver fled the scene.  Not true since that car was the locked and parked on he hit.  He failed the field sobriety test. Police arrested him, fireman cleaned up the debris and sledgehammered both of our front doors outward to straighten them out.  Three vehicles were taken away on those Jerdan rollback tow trucks and the van was towed out and away with a regular tow truck.

Our insurance company had their reclamation guy come out at 4:30 - he cleaned up the loose pieces outside and screwed a tarp onto the houses to seal off the the hole.

The insurance adjuster will be here Monday.  We would have lost a car too, but daughter Jessica left her sweater at work (McDonald's).  My wife Jo'Ann drove her back at 11:00 P.M. last night and parked out back instead of where she had parked right in front of our house.

Jessica and Jo'Ann are still shook up; I'm just in "that's just great . . ." mood.

If I didn't have bad luck, I would have no luck at all.

Thanks for reading.

Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk driver crashed his van into our house
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 10:16:09 AM »
Geeez, glad no one was hurt.  Funny, he said that the locked/parked car caused it all  lol .  Drunks do the dumbest and most dangerous things, and their normally the ones that walk away without a scratch. 

Hope you get the insurance to cover everything easily, sorry this happened to you'll. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 10:26:34 AM »
OH DAMN Dave. How TERRIBLE!!! Just be glad no one got hurt, that's the biggest thing. I just can't figure WHY people have to drive drunk?  Such accidents are so avoidable. Too many innocent people are hurt and killed, and property destroyed because of them.  >:(-

We had a guy one time hit my dad's car while it was parked in front of his house. He told the police that it was my dad's fault. My dad wasn't even home. He was out in the OTHER vehicle.  And he wasn't even drunk.  lol  Just stupid!!

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 10:31:47 AM »
my grandparents had a house that was right in front of where a street ended into a T with the street their house was on. the approaching street was a big hill. one morning they awoke to a loud noise and thought the water heater had exploded or something similar.   :blowup:  they walked out and found a car parked in their living room!! a drunk had completely missed where the street ended and had driven into their house without so much as using the brakes!! quite an accomplishment considering they had about a one foot raised porch directly in the guy's path!!  >:(-

they also had to live with a tarp for a wall for awhile but eventually it was fixed to just as before. it really scared them good!! so i know a bit about how shaken up you guys must be. best to be thankful that it was nothing more than property damage and that it will get fixed before too long. stuff like this does happen and we've all heard about it. but suddenly it's different when it happens to you or someone close to you.

(at least they didn't land in the pond!!  ;) )
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 10:44:41 AM »
The sentences are not nearly harsh enough.  These people should not be allowed to drive!

Thank God you are all OK!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 11:16:54 AM »
OMG, Dave, that's awful!   >:(-  I'm just glad the idiot hit a part of the house(s) that no one was in at the time.  :o

I'd be pretty shook up, too.  I'm glad you're all OK, and I hope your house is repaired soon. 

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 12:13:16 PM »
What a bum deal!  Drunks are so disgusting and dangerous.

Our neighbor that lives on a curve had a drunk neighbor run into their house and did major damage.  They got it all fixed up and in about two years the same drunk hit it again. :swear:

Karen

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 12:22:51 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Everything is pretty much back to normal here today - cut the grass etc., have a big band concert tonight.

The front wall was only pushed in about 10" at the bottom.  The firemen sledgehammered it up straight.  We are using that living room - damage in the corner only.

Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 02:49:56 PM »
Oh my goodness, what an ordeal!!! Have you seen the commercial on TV where a guy tries to leave an establishment after drinking? A giant truck or something comes out of no where and crushes his vehicle so he can't drive. Too bad that didn't happen to the van driver.

Our home was burglarized on Halloween last year. Our insurance company was quite speedy about getting our claim resolved and done so fairly. I hope the same for you! At least your car was parked out back!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 08:20:15 PM »
What an ordeal! So sad that people still drink and drive. Glad you are ok and hope your insurance fixes every thing quickly for you.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 08:52:53 PM »
glad to here you are ok
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about this. I'm so thankful none of you were in the room.
My advice is appear at any court appearances the guy has. I was bringing my son home from youth group once and a truck with an obviously drunk driver zoomed past us. I followed it at a distance while relaying to 911 where he was. Are you ready for this?????? His next stop was at a bar, the guy actually fell out of his truck when he parked, my son was appalled and so was I. The cops were so mad that they asked if I was willing to be a witness against him in court since I had actually seen him in action on the street. I said 'you bet!!!' it was within 6 blocks of my home, and he lived 1 block from the last bar he stopped at. Chances of him crossing paths with me or a family member, friend or neighbor were too great to ignore it. So I went the day of his court and when they asked if anyone was here to witness against this guy and I said yes, they called me forward and told me I was free to go home. Just by actually appearing the guy was given a pretty stiff sentence because it was not his first offense. I found out by talking to the DA for a bit that most people don't follow through with appearing against these jerks so the courts can't do much since they have no actual eye witness, the judge usually dismisses the case. He said the courts have a hard time making the sobriety test results stand up in court, the lawyers come up with all sorts of 'reasons' why it isn't accurate but with eye witnesses they can't weasel out of the charge. So.....that's my advice. Keep us imformed.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 06:19:39 AM »
Thank God everybody is OK.  I know just how you feel.

When I was in high school a car crashed into our house...right thru the front door.  He swerved to miss a group of dogs laying under a street light and plowed thru a 18" brick planter and into the house.  It was about midnight.  A coach from down the street was out running and immediately disconnected the battery cables...the hood was bent up.  That prevented the car from catching on fire.  My two little brothers were sleeping in the room just ajacent to the wall the car was resting against.  The police said if it wasn't for the flower bed breaking the speed, he would have crushed the boys bed.  He had not even been drinking.

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 07:06:34 AM »
I just read the article in today's paper. 

His BAC was .0156, legally drunk in PA is .080 - he was released with to await a summons.   He totalled three cars, damaged a fourth, crushed in the front of our duplex with his large utility van - well over $50,000 in damages and he is not even in jail!  :blowup: &-) :whip:
Reedman

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 06:08:18 AM »
There definitely need to be stiffer penalties....... Sorry to hear that this happened to you.....
Joey

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 06:37:15 AM »
Had to take of work today (MON) to meet with the insurance adjuster.  He called at 8:30 and said he'll be here around noon.  I'll probably will go into work after he leaves.
Reedman

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 09:28:56 AM »
It just happened this past Monday in my parents neighborhood.  This person since 1988 has been arrested 19 times for DUI.  The little boy had just been playing on the porch and went to play with a friend.  19 times....geeezzzz.

Kim

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 10:19:38 AM »
Oh my goodness, I'm so glad no one was hurt!! 

Offline Viv

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 12:09:40 AM »
That sucks Dave, so glad none of you were hurt. That's the last thing you need!

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 07:02:37 PM »
The contractor should start the restoration sometime this week.  $5500 for my side of the duplex, $8500 for my neighbor's side of the duplex.  Our insurance companies are paying, then will go after the drunk's insurance company for their reimbursement.

We have to move everything out of the living room, including the 55-gallon aquarium.   >:(- :boxing: &-)
Reedman

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 09:22:36 PM »
Oh that sucks having to move the tank.  That's a job in itself and disrupting the fish home.  Good luck with it all.

Kim

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"