Author Topic: Replying to Posts  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Replying to Posts
« on: June 25, 2007, 08:42:49 AM »
I just wanted to tell you guys, that I DO read many / most of the posts.  I know it's polite to reply and say something nice about someone's topic, and especially the beautiful pictures, which I really enjoy, BTW.

But it takes SOOO much time, even with my new, faster computer and DSL 'steada dial-up.  So I often just read and move on to the next one.

So don't think your posts are being ignored.  People DO look!

I just wanted to tell you I enjoy the posts. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Replying to Posts
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 09:02:45 AM »
Thanks Julles for your comment.  It pretty much mirrors my sentiments  ::)  I live by this site now since I have alot of spare time to work on my pond.  I learn lots from here and I get to see what's going on out there from the comfort of my computer  8)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 01:34:46 PM »
I'm still dial-up...so sometimes I don't take time to download all the pics...just maybe one or two.  I don't comment to all either.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 02:46:29 PM »
So I often just read and move on to the next one.
Many, if not most, of us do the same.  No need to feel guilty.  Anyone who makes a post and then gets upset about seeing the number of "views" vs the number of responses is likely paranoid......   {:-P;;  :D  and I'm too busy looking over my shoulder to bother with someone who's paranoid.... ;)
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline zydia

• Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 07:53:19 PM »
I do the same, read alot, learn alot, and really enjoy all the pictures. I to have dial-up and often play solitaire while pictures load, certainly don't want to miss any.
I often want to reply, but feel guilty if I reply to one and not all.
So I mostly lurk.

Zydia

Offline Celia

• Members
  • With us since: 17/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 08:53:16 PM »
Ditto here, great point you made.
Celia

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 07:45:47 AM »
Ditto, it takes a lot longer to reply then it does to read another thread. I simply cannot respond to everyone that I would like to. I'm supposed to be working most of the time I'm online.  {:-P;;
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 12:04:44 PM »
Very Good thread Julles! O0 I'm glad to see I'm not alone. Since my dh's death I don't reply nearly like I used to. :'( Hopefully that will change!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 12:54:40 PM »
Glad to read this thread.. I dont get much time on here either when I hit I try to hit as many post as I can but usually just have time to read whatevers in the main forum here. .. I to am working while I am on here.  Usually doing my ebay shipping.  I like to post tons of pictures and am always worried it might be to much and boring people :)

tinkster

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 07:19:21 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I think we all have times when we just barely have time to read the threads, let alone time to reply and that's OK. But I must admit I pout a bit if I have a big fat 0  >:(- on the reply count. But I never stay in a snit very long so don't worry about me.

It's hard sometimes to know what to say when somebody else has said exactly what you wanted to say. And how many pond/lily pictures does it take before you run out of compliments different from the other guys? 

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 08:09:42 PM »
WOW Esther! You nailed it just perfect. I'm so startting to belive that the ditto is going to become my major responce cuz your right everyone that beats me to the punch say's what I want to say. And your  not alone about that 0 responce feeling too!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 08:51:50 PM »
i pretty much agree with all that's been said here. i wish i could comment on every post but there really isn't time. and frankly, after i've gone thru preparing the photos for my own posts at times, i'm worn out. i'll still try to say something to someone who does seem to be getting a 0 response just to get things going. i might ignore the ones that many people are replying to as they are staying active and getting lots of views.  and like you said, i probably didn't have anything to add that hadn't been said already. i mean, how many times can you tell certain people that they have fantastic looking lilies, take great pics, or have an alluring pond/landscape? at a certain point i have to assume they know that i love what they're doing. i'm not shy, if i have anything constructive or witty to add, i will.

i do have one pet peeve though and that's people who started a thread never coming back to respond to those who do reply. i think if you start something, you should finish it. at least eventually say something to acknowledge those who have spent their time checking it out and replying. a simple thank you is enough. i know i'm occasionally guilty of this myself as sometimes things get hectic and my posts kind of slip out of memory as i move on to new ones or get wrapped up in all the other new posts of interesting pics and topics. no need to be the last person to reply to your own thread, but don't just post and run please!! when i do searches i often run across a thread that ended with someone responding with a question for the original poster.  {nono}
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 03:46:30 PM »
You know speaking of this thread my time now is spent trying to get these lilies going and ponds finished. I try to post a reply to some but can't to all and I mainly stay in the plant trading sections or photo album section now.

I've decided to that as for my picture posting I'll direct folks to my pond and lily photo albums that way it doesn't take so long to download and they can look if they want to or not. The other forum I belong to Koi pond talk has a gallery members can make their own album on and it is a lot faster. So if you want to see my ponds and lilies check me out here:

http://jensrealm.net/photos

Offline kennef

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 04:03:53 PM »
i totally don't have time to reply to this post.....

oh wait... i do! AWESOME!!!  ;D

i try not to serially reply to my own posts just because i don't want to make people think i am pumping up my own threads....:P but sometimes you folks just say super nice things and i have to say something... heheh

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 04:21:03 PM »
I have made posts that don't need a reply, and I don't get them. Not a problem at all.
if I make a post and cry "HELP!"  I would be hurt if no one answered/.

I am not paranoid, but someone is trying to get me! O0 O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 04:41:25 PM »
Hollywood is looking for you Jerry.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 05:00:23 PM »
I can't always replay either, I try to post comments about every 3rd or 4th time I'm on here to read.  It's not an even thing but at least I get to give a few attaboy's.  I just love looking at other's ponds and flowers and I especially love when people post how they built something. 

One thing I found that I use a lot on this site.  Up at the top left, right above where it shows the total time you've been logged in and your username, there are 2 links.  Show unread posts since last visit and Show new replies to your post  Those are great as they show posts from all the areas of the forum and they update once you've read a post and return.  Give them a try if you haven't already, I love them.

Offline Shep

• Members
  • With us since: 29/12/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 05:10:30 PM »
Well I guess everyone is basically the same.... most of the time I don't reply because I don't want to make a complete a$$ of myself while other times I reply just to be a pain in the a$$.....  ;D

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 05:11:16 PM »
^^^ lol lol lol

Jerry, at least you can be sure that no one is following you around and stalking you. if they're out to get you, it's going to be when you're not looking  ;D

also Jerry, nobody could keep up with replying to all your posts. but rest assured we are entertained/enlightened by 99.5% of them O0

kenneff - you've got a nice, unique setup in your pond. go ahead and pump it up baby, pump it up (best read with a gov. Schwartznegger accent)
and it really is a beeeach when people say such nice things that you have to take your valuable time and write something back. shame on those people!! >:(- ;D

(we could all get together and stop replying to kenneff's cool posts so he won't have to work so hard!  :-)~ )
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 10:27:55 PM »
Ed  you made my day! O0
Sometimes when I crack myself up with a post and no one replies, I figure it's not as funny as I thought!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 10:56:09 PM »
LOL thedahilama....You must stay peeved at me much of the time... I am so rushed and so forgetful I post and tend to forget  :) .. when I do remember I always think that I shouldnd repost on my own cause its like bumping it up to the beginning again ... sure shows how we all think different :)  I always figure that once people post on a topic and view pictures etc, they dont go back to view what else is said?? or maybe that is just me??

I go through this forum at bullet speed(  as you can tell by my typos)  and I know I miss tons and tons of great stuff but you do what your schedule allows and I hope no one takes offense at my forgetfullness, lack of time, etc.  and in the UNLIKELY event that anyone should be asking me a question of expertise that I dont see, you can always PM me.. I mostly see those   :)

I do try to make posts and reply to the ones at the top of the list.  I think that we should all try to make a few post etc, its what makes a great forum.  Without post and things of interest, there would be no forum.   I also try to post when I find gardening deals or  something here that I have seen others talk about wanting,  on those I go by the number of responses to see if topics like that are even wanted on the forum.

tinkster

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 09:50:35 AM »
[color=purpleRe responding to people's posts:

I think if someone has asked a question and gets help, then, yes, a "thank-you" is in order.

But if someone has simply posted pics or a story, I think he doesn't need to come back and thank the repliers.  Just not necessary.  And, again, that old time issue. 

[/color]

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"