Author Topic: Patch/Repair help needed immediately  (Read 1834 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Patch/Repair help needed immediately
« on: June 30, 2007, 08:46:55 PM »
We have had a problem with our pond losing water for some time. Hubby finally got fed up with always adding water and tore in to it today. He found a hole that looks like a piece of flagstone we have lining the pond fell in and punctured the liner. It's drained and drying right now. Poor guy...I worked 2-9 today and both kids are on a camping trip this weekend so he was totally on his own when it came to draining the pond and catching all the fish. He needs tips on how and what to use to repair this. He hopes to get busy on it tomorrow (Sun.) so quick help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks tons!!
Cath
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 09:53:09 PM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline aqua465

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Repair help needed immediately
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 08:58:55 PM »
If it is EPDM rubber you can use an tire patch.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Repair help needed immediately
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 09:44:44 PM »
All I know is it's pond liner...bought in a pkg. at a nursery.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
Re: Patch/Repair help needed immediately
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 10:22:18 PM »
Is it pretty flexible and rubber-like such as a rubber inner-tube?  If yes, then it is likely EPDM.  You can get patching material on-line or at a good pond supply store near you.  I've only had experience with EPDM and I couldn't advise you on other material.  I get the feeling it isn't EPDM because EPDM stretches quite a bit and a rock falling through water would likely not puncture it.  If it did puncture it, it would likely close up again pretty tight because of the rubber-like consistency and although it would leak, it would be a slow leak.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 10:36:43 PM »
Thanks Mikey. From your description I believe it is EPDM. I remember it feeling and looking like an innertube when we were placing it in the pond hole. It's not a big tear. We have surmised that if the ground was soaked because of rain or watering on our part with sprinklers the water level wouldn't go down or if it did it was very slow. We figured if the surrounding ground was saturated it wouldn't leak very fast because the water had no place to go but if the surrounding ground was dry it did, if you can follow me here, at which times we had a much faster dropping water level. The flagstone is pretty big pieces and some have some pointed edges on them. We are careful but visitors, especially kids, are not always. We have pulled more than 1 out of the pond.....flagstones that is, not kids.  ;)
Thanks again.....at least we know what to use.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 11:06:39 PM »
well I have no advise but man I sure hate to hear ya gots a leak. I thought epdm was pretty much "unpuncturable" by things like flagstone.. I thought it took like dogs are something mawing with sharp teeth.. hmm might have to retink alot of the rocks around mine :(

anyway..sorry your leaking :)

tinkster

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 09:44:39 AM »
I hope the other posters are right, and that I'm wrong.  But I've been told that patching a liner is next to impossible.  There is the issue of glue, heat, and weight, and at our pond store, they make it sound like no matter how well you do it, if it's not factory-done, it's gonna leak.  Maybe not fast, but water will find a way to seep through some part of the repair.

That said, depending on how big the pond is and how much liner you would need to buy, it may well be worth trying to patch it, instead of buying a new liner.

And I hope your fish will be OK, in temporary holding tanks.  It's so stressful for them.

Good luck on the repair.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 12:37:26 PM »
I have my fingers crossed for ya that you all get the hole patched.  When I had a crack in my front puddle preform, I used some kind of rubbery strip, peeled it off and stuck it on (did clean the area really well).  I did this early last season and its still ok, but it may not work as well on liner.  Hope I never have to find out, the puddle has been out there for years.  Its what got me addicted.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 01:07:08 PM »
I have to disagree with Julles. We had to patch our liner where we changed our mind a COUPLE of times. And it has held up for three years.  Cindi's husband, our son in law, is a roofer and he gave us the glue and instructions. Not only did I patch it on one side, but I put an additional patch on the other side. I wasn't taking any chances of the patch not holding. One patch I had to do, covered where a hole had been cut to go around a sprinkler head. The other was a straight cut where DH misunderstood my plan for the side of the liner. I wanted to leave the wider piece there to put under a small bog. I have the feeling your hole is on the bottom. Mine was near the top edge. I think I might put something underneath to hold it up and away to get very dry. Then lay a piece of plywood or something stiff under it so it will hold it very flat while you work on it. Clean and scratch up the surface of the patch and the liner a bit. SIL loaned us what looked like an old scrub brush to scratch with. Follow the directions on whatever you use. I think he loaned me a brayer/roller to press across the patch. I just remember laying something flat on the patch and weighting it down. I left it for at least a day before I moved it.  I might lay an extra layer of old carpet or something solid under the patched area to reinforce it so later if you happen to step on it, it won't stretch and pull away from the patch.  I don't think I'd want to do much walking in that area later anyway. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 07:00:23 PM by Esther »

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 06:16:44 PM »
patching will work.
the method i use is the old fashioned tire tube patch.

get good quality tube patch kit, clean the hole with alcohol until its spotless. put a liberal amount of patch cement.
then take a lit match and ignite the glue and let it burn for about 15 seconds and then blow out the fire. the glue is real hot at this point. then do the patch. will not ever leak in that spot again.

lou

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 06:25:06 PM »
Louis: I never heard of the trick about lighting the glue to heat it up.  Good stuff.  I haven't patched but I did put in a seam where my waterfall is.  I cleaned the rubber with gasoline (be careful) and used EPDM seaming tape on both sides.  That was ten years ago and if it's leaking it's pretty minor.

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 06:32:13 PM »
Louis: I never heard of the trick about lighting the glue to heat it up.  Good stuff.  I haven't patched but I did put in a seam where my waterfall is.  I cleaned the rubber with gasoline (be careful) and used EPDM seaming tape on both sides.  That was ten years ago and if it's leaking it's pretty minor.

Mikey, that old trick goes back to the 1920's.

the kit also has a small grater, like a cheese grater. you use this to roughen up the liner or tube.

lou

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 06:37:22 PM »
Mikey, that old trick goes back to the 1920's.
Ahhhh.  No wonder I never heard of it since I'm only 26.......or so....... {:-P;;

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 07:01:41 PM »
 ::) Mikey, you lie. >:(

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 08:16:29 PM »
think he is suffering from old age delussions... happens to the best.

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 09:22:25 PM »
Well, I hope the repair went well for you...

If not think of it as a place to install a bulkhead. Depending on the size of it you could simply put a bulkhead there, then screw in a threaded plug instead of a pipe. Means you'll have to actually cut a hole in the liner for the bulkhead though.

We used to torch the glue when fixing bike tubes to speed up dry time... Ah yes, "back when I was a lad"...

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 11:06:25 PM »
So far so good thanks to Mikey's advice. The patch seems to be 'taking' and we will fill the pond again as soon as we can. Our pond area is full of totes and anything else big enough to hold enough water to store lilies and other plants in. You just never have a clue exactly how many pond plants you have until you have to lug them ALL out of the pond. And I have to tell you, dogs LOVE the sludge from old pots when you repot the plants. Gross!!!! We had to keep chasing them away. As disgusting as it smells to us it must be just that lovely to them.
I'll let everyone know how this goes.
Cath
zone 5b

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"