Author Topic: My first chance at Wakins!  (Read 3176 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My first chance at Wakins!
« on: July 16, 2007, 03:13:32 PM »
I just snapped these pics of new Wakins just purchased this morning.  I only wish I had a darker bottom bucket to show off their tails and shimmer.  They’re about 3.5 inches long from lip to end tip of their tail.  I’m loving these guys and the way they seem to swim/hula (dance) with their tails.  They’ll be in my “quarantine tub” until I get them acclimated to the pond water and bugs.

Guess who I met up with at the Koi shop?  My 1st American Ponder, Mikey! 

He made a big purchase also but I’ll let him tell you what he got.  Really nice to meet you in person Mike.  Feels like I already know you from all the posts here.  Hopefully, when I get my act together, we’ll meet again at So. Cal events of some of our residents here!

Stay COOL….actually nice today. 8)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My first chance at Wakins!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 03:38:24 PM »
Great meeting you too Annette!  I like the markings of your fish, especially the one second from the left.

When I got home with my fish the fetching Mrs. Mikey gave me that look that only a wife can give.  I then said it was Annette's fault.....  She made me buy them... ;D

I also bought some Wakin and a long fin koi to keep our other solo koi company.  I don't have photos because I already floated and released mine.....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 03:51:21 PM »
Annette, they are sooo pretty!  I just love Wakin, wait till they get to know you and come speedboating across the top of the pond when you walk up.  Congratulations!  You too Mike, what color is your new long fin?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 04:47:41 PM »
Hey Jonna, wish I could come out to the desert to see you and your wakins but the heat this summer makes the trip close to the bottom of my wish list.  Can't wait to show the rest of the herd the fancypants newcomers.  Hopefully Newbies can show others how not to be so uncharacteristically skittish.

You can tell the fetching Mrs. Mikey my pathetic attitude of "I see, I like, I buy" is a matter of "if I tell DH my plans, I'd be sitting at home staring at blank walls."  This forum, it's infectious!! :D :D  "Hon, at least I only brought home 4 fish.  I really wanted a more even number like 8."  ;D

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 08:22:29 PM »
They are so beautiful!  o(:-) I wish I could find some in our area.  No luck yet thought. 

Offline mystic dragonfly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 08:29:09 AM »
They are really beautiful fish !!! I wish I could find some.I live in the central Oregon dessert and dont know if they would winter here very well.I have to put a horse troph heater in my pond during the winter months and months and months.lol

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 07:05:27 PM »
Nice Wakin's ! I agree with Mikey I like the one second from the left too .
bonnie

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 07:08:46 AM »
I gotta find my DS some more Wakins!  My favorite store is looking for him.

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 10:51:20 PM »
They are really beautiful fish !!! I wish I could find some.I live in the central Oregon dessert and dont know if they would winter here very well.I have to put a horse troph heater in my pond during the winter months and months and months.lol

They would do just fine.  They are a hardy goldie and can take cold.
Mary

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 12:55:41 PM »
They are beautiful!!  I also wish I could get some here, no luck, though.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 04:55:38 PM »
Very pretty! Good luck with them.  O0

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 07:57:40 AM »
Annette,
 They are darling.   O0  Glad you got to meet Mike.  o(:-)

Mystic Dragonfly,

If you can overwinter any other goldfish, you can overwinter wakins. They are just a different shape, not a different breed.

Welcome to the forum, don't recall having anyone else from the dry side of the mountain. My father lives in Redmond and I'm in Sisters and Bend all the time on business. Where are you?
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline mystic dragonfly

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 09:47:47 AM »
South of LaPine Oregon. o(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
Wakins are just different shaped goldfish and they are just named Japanese goldfish.  They can handle cold icy conditions like any other goldie as long as the pond does not freeze solid  :D 

My Wakins swim just as fast as the other fish in my pond.  They just need to learn to suck up the pellets faster than the koi and shubs, heh-heh.  They're very friendly like everyone says.  The white, red capped guy/gal had to have been a dog in a previous life... :D loves to be patted and rubbed.  Too cute!

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 09:34:59 PM »
Do you know if the place you got them from ships??

Mary
Mary

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 10:09:12 PM »
Mary, I'm not sure if Easten Nishikigoi ship or not.  I'm guessing they do because they carry some really pretty koi (big $$$$).  You can try them.  http://www.enkoi.com/

Online they don't list anything but koi but the store has all kinds of pond fish.  I've purchased Wakins and Shubunkins from them.  They take really good care of their fish and only sell them after quarantine time. 

When I picked out my fish they even checked them out to make sure they were ok.  Both times I purchased they found one fish with a deformity.  1st time one pretty shub had deformed gill covers, didn't cover over his gill. They said if I wasn't looking to show it the shub would be just fine.  I decided to keep him because of the red coloring you don't notice the gills.  The manager gave it to me for free! I got 3 fish for the price of 2!

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 07:38:06 PM »
I would love to find some in my area.  After visiting with Bonnie the other day my daughter has been asking for them she fell in love with the friendly little fishies.  Now I am on a mission to find her some. 
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"