Author Topic: emerging dragonflies - yes, that's plural!!  (Read 1420 times)

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
emerging dragonflies - yes, that's plural!!
« on: July 04, 2007, 07:56:58 AM »
most of you saw my pic of the emerging dragonfly in one of my other posts. the next day i was out getting some trade packages packed and sent off when i found these two dragonflies in the same spot as the one the day before!!

Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline thedahlialama

• Members
  • just grow it
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
Re: emerging dragonflies - yes, that's plural!!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 07:59:22 AM »
i then went to the post office and sent the packages on their way to some folks here. when i came back i found our pair like this -

Our Pond & Watergardens

ed

Offline thedahlialama

• Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 08:02:46 AM »
i waited quite a while for that last drop of moisture to drip off but finally i had to stand up. the second i did, the dragonfly flew away and landed in a nearby bougainvillea for a short rest. i must say that i really felt blessed to witness this event.

Our Pond & Watergardens

ed

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 08:14:02 AM »
Oh, those are totally TOTALLY cool!  Prolly a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see that!  THANKS for posting the pics.  And for sitting there all that time to take them.

Qu:  Are you saying it took TWO DAYS for the adults to emerge?? I'm surprised Mother Nature would allow that, as they would be sitting ducks to be eaten by any old creature that came along.

Offline thedahlialama

• Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 08:30:22 AM »
no, just took a couple of hours or less. i saw one that i got a few shots of one day and posted along with some lily pics. then the next day i found the other 2 that you see here. i kinda wish i had sat there to see the whole thing but like i said, i left and came back between the first set of pics here and the second. i probably wasn't gone more than 15-20 minutes. after the one flew off i went back to other yard work and got distracted. by the time i rechecked the other one, it had gone as well.

here's the first one i posted just for anyone who missed it -

Our Pond & Watergardens

ed

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 08:38:48 AM »
What do you have in the bottom of your pond?  Is it mud?  I understand they need to burrow into muck and such, and stay there up to two years, depending on species, in order to metamorphasize. 

I really, really want some to inhabit my pond, live here, and breed here.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 08:46:11 AM »
Wonderful pics of a great moment, I've never been priviledged to witness that.  I would imagine that my fish eat their larvae, or I'm just not at the right place at the right time. :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 10:17:24 AM »
Kittyzee like your new pic  :)

Awesome photos of the dragonflies.  I haven't had any like that in a couple of years - but then again I haven't had time to pond either.  That's changing now though  :D

How fortunate you are to have witnessed the transformation AND have many dragonflies around your pond  @O@

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 01:44:47 PM »
that's really kewl!  When I first found one crawling around in a pond I had no idea what it was and took a picture and asked.  I almost got rid of it but decided to wait and see...glad I did, now I love finding them around!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline goldenangel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 03:48:57 PM »
Julles - I don't know much about dragonflies but I don't do anything special for them.  I just have a liner bottom with no gravel or mud and mine overwinter along with the fish in the bottom.  I would guess that they burrow into some of the plants as well.  A pond IMO isn't complete without a few dragonflies flying around.  They really are neat to watch.  I noticed that this year I have 3 or 4 different kinds inhabiting my pond.
Central IL zone 5

Offline thedahlialama

• Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 09:22:36 AM »
What do you have in the bottom of your pond?  Is it mud?  I understand they need to burrow into muck and such, and stay there up to two years, depending on species, in order to metamorphasize. 

I really, really want some to inhabit my pond, live here, and breed here.

Julles - these have all come up from one of my sunken tubs that i just put in last summer. in fact the tub ponds will be exactly a year old sometime this month. the tub has 2 lilies in rectangular shaped plastic containers. i just used the same soil that came out of the holes i dug to plant the lilies in. it's very clay based. nothing special at all. i'm sure the fact that there aren't any fish in the tubs helps.

"it's not very far away, if we ride on dragonflies..." - Jimi Hendrix, Spanish Castle Magic
Our Pond & Watergardens

ed

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 09:28:04 AM »
Hey!!  I like the Hendrix quote  O0

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"