Author Topic: Shubunkin?  (Read 2208 times)

Offline obsessed-nj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Shubunkin?
« on: July 24, 2007, 09:14:03 PM »
This really cute little guy swam up from the depths of my pond in the spring and I've been trying to get a good pic of him since. He sure looks like a shubunkin to me, but I never bought or added any, or any calico for that matter, to my pond. He looks like he has skin instead of scales, has a much more rounded tail than the other goldies, a top fin like a sail, and such pretty blue, black, white and orange colors. He's very shy and took forever to learn to feed at the top (for awhile I thought he was blind). Kinda shy, but definitely the prettiest in the pond right now  o(:-)

Linda

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Shubunkin?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 09:35:18 PM »
I have a shub that looks very similar.  Even your description sounds like a shub.  Lucky you to receive such a cute gift from who knows where.

Offline obsessed-nj

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 06:00:10 AM »
Hi, Annette! I'm wondering if they start out orange or white and change color over time...think he could have been one of the white 'comets' I picked up at the local pond store last year? He's about the same size, but if he was in there last year, he sure didn't have those lovely colors. Sure is a mystery  :-\

Linda

Offline Argos5

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 09:12:55 AM »
Looks like a Shub

Ventura County, California, Zone 8b

Offline obsessed-nj

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 09:58:43 AM »
 ::) Silly me! Think I've got it figured out where he came from. The only plants I got last year that weren't thoroughly checked out before adding to my pond were from a fellow ponder in town; tons of anacharis, DUH! Have to talk to her again, but I'd be willing to bet she has/had shubunkins in her pond. Only way I (and several forum members who helped jog my memory  :D) can think of that he got in my pond. Whatever, I'm thrilled that he's here! @O@

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 10:46:59 AM »
What a gift!  I love my shubs with their long flowing fins.  It may be a while before your shub recognizes you as the food giver but once it's tamed you'll see it very often.  Enjoy!

Offline obsessed-nj

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 08:32:12 PM »
Annette, he's one of the first to come when he sees me by the pond, but seems to have more sophisticated table manners than my other goldies who will mob my hand as soon as I reach into the water...little oinkers! The shub will snag a pellet then back off and work it around in his mouth while the rest act like vacuum cleaners with fins. He seems too timid to compete much for food as yet so I've been tossing a handful in for the rest then a few his way which is usually off from the herd (so he can grow big enough to bulldoze his way in with the rest). I'm kinda glad he's shy in a way...figure he might be an easy target for the heron my neighbor saw checking out my pond awhile back and this guy's colors sure make him stand out from the rest.

Linda 

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 11:36:39 PM »
He's a cutie!  What a neat surprise o(:-) One of our shubunkins looks a lot like he does, with the large orange spot on her head.  We called her Rose...she is kind of small compared to the others and a little shy, too. 

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 07:55:02 AM »
It is a Shubunkin.

All goldfish interbreed, they are variations not different breeds. It is possible that calico colors are spawned from non calico parents.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline obsessed-nj

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 08:31:34 AM »
Hmmm...wonder if I wish real hard a few beautiful wakin (like the ones I see posted here) might swim up out of the depths? Probably not, huh? I'm so envious of everybodies gorgeous fish, but I think I've been blessed with my pond: a real cute turtle moved in, a shubunkin appeared on its own, and a fellow ponder in my area gave me some real pretty koi babies that are growing fast. Combined with assorted frogs, toads, and no losses other than the few I didn't get out of the skimmer basket in time...yeah, I'm blessed! Just gotta get the "wanting" under control!

Linda

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 08:08:57 PM »
Sure is pretty.  I like shubunkin's, there so unique looking with thier colors.  I saw some baby Shubunkins in my pond yesterday .  They're so cute when small, and pretty when big.

Kim
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 11:01:26 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"