Author Topic: So you want to build a pond?  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
So you want to build a pond?
« on: June 28, 2007, 06:30:29 AM »
This thread was generated by reading Reedman's post telling that his pond almost pumped empty. I got to thinking that maybe there are people reading this forum who are wanting to build a pond or just in the process of starting one. I am not an expert by any means. But I have learned some things by reading this forum and making my own pond. So I decided to post a list of the things that I think are most important when you are building a pond. The items are not listed in order of importance.

Before you start digging, check with your local township/county people to learn if there are any rules or restrictions about putting a hole in the ground and filling it with water.

1. Water source. It is so handy to have your hose easily accessed so you aren't constantly having to drag a hose every time you need to top off your pond, hook up the Scarecrow, or rinse your filter media.

2. Electricity source. It should be conveniently located to avoid the temptation to run extension cords. There should be lots of places to plug in your pumps, fountains,  spitters, lights, etc. You will always have more things to plug in than you expected when you first started.  Check with your licensed electrician.

3. GFI. Never run the risk of an electrical disaster. Not only can it kill your fish but your life is in danger too if something goes wrong. Call that electrician guy again.

4. Automatic shut off float. Either purchase a pump with a built in float that will turn off the pump when the water gets low, or buy a separate float to protect your pond from being pumped too low, and endangering your fish, and wasting a lot of water.  Your pump could also burn up trying to pump water when there isn't any. Never put your pump on the bottom of the pond when the water return has the potential to send it out of the pond. Before I had my float valve, I came close to disaster three times. I'm a slow learner.

5. Pond size. Remember that this wonderful dream pond has to have constant care and grooming if you want it to look really good most of the time. So make it small enough so you can handle it easily. Many ponds are quite deep so make it difficult to actually get in and pinch off dead lily blossoms and dead pads. I am in mine about once a week.  I am constantly scooping mulm and crud off the bottom so if your pond is terribly deep and wide, it will be more difficult to reach every area with your vacuum or skimmer net. You will have to reposition your lily plants from time to time as they grow and you may need to get in your pond for that too. Try to buy pots with handles at the dollar store or put rope handles on your pots. Read the DIY sub forum to make a "pot getter" so it is easier to move your pots without getting in the pond.

6. Pump size. Opt on the side of larger GPH (gallons per hour) rather than smaller. You will want to turn over your pond volume once every half hour. I know some say every hour but I think that the more the water is moving, the more potential you have to keep it clean and not develop dead spots in your pond. Also, you may want to run additional water features like a fountain with the same pump.

7. Filter size. GO BIGGER. This pond is going to give you fits at times when you can't get the water to clear. Yes I know that green water is not harmful to your fish or plants but I'm sorry, I don't like not being able to see my fish. I have never allowed my pond to go totally green in 5-6 years. But it takes work. If you are not willing to work at it, you'd better not build a pond. My pond is all DIY and about 1750 gallons so I am able to give it what it needs. If it looks like it is going green, I slap 2-3 mesh baskets of additional filter media (quilt batting type) in the waterfall drops and clean them, up to three times a day depending on the mess. This is in addition to the constant filtration in the skimmer/filter with media and Black Knight brushes and the Skippy biological filter.

8. MONEY. Go bigger rather than smaller. Revolving credit accounts work well. (LOL) You will be constantly buying fish, water plants, bog plants, landscaping plants, filter media, fish food, paying the electric bill, paying the water bill if you are on city water, medications for the fish, cute knic nacs for around the pond, fountains, spitters, spending money on postage when you do trades etc., cement for the patio by the pond, lawn furniture for the patio by the pond and it goes on and on. Oh and some people have to buy the rocks for around the pond even, if they live in an area devoid of them. By the way, your pond will be in a constant process of change as you see something better to do here or there. Watch out because once you think you have it just right, your brain begins yearning to have maybe a pot with just one mini lily up on the patio. Then it is two pots. Get my gist? Oh and don't forget the trips to your local pond store and pond supply source. Then there are the pond tours and maybe even trips to meet up with pond forum friends across the country. Takes a couple of bucks. Oh and one or two lilies are never enough.

9. Pond care. Ladies, I know you love water lilies and the sound of falling water. But don't forget if DH is kind enough to build you this wonderful water feature, it may end up being yours to care for totally. You know the kids won't help one bit. So if you're a very busy person, maybe you'd better stick to a disappearing fountain and a pot with a lily in it. And men, you know your ladies, if they are constantly using hand sanitizer, if they won't touch a toad and have never figured out which end of the shovel to dig with, they probably won't be much help with your pond.

10. Location.  Don't put your pond where tree roots will puncture the liner and don't put one where planted stuff drops leaves, pine needles, twigs, flower petals, or seeds in the pond.

I know this does not talk about any building or structural stuff but you can figure that out for yourself. There is sure to be things I have skipped or others find more important so maybe they will add in some thoughts.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 05:57:34 PM by Esther »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Making a new pond?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:43:44 AM »
Ammmeennnn  :) Luckily DH and I love the pond equally (even though I putts around it more  :D )

Thanks Esther!

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: So you want to build a pond?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 09:57:25 AM »
Excellent idea Esther.  You've covered all the important points.  Here are a couple of things that have worked well for me:

I dug a "sump" area onto the side of my pond for the submersible pump.  This means that if something should go wrong and the pump diverts water out of the pond the pond will not lose more than about 8" of water.  The pump could continue to drain the small sump area completely dry which would be bad for the pump but at least the pond would remain almost full.

For filtration I dug a gravel bed with water just barely trickling into the bottom of it through a pipe and then gently percolating up through the gravel and out into the pond.  Except for green water on the initial start up this has kept the water completely clear for 4 years.  At some point I will have to clean it out which I expect will be a big job but probably won't take more than a day so I feel that is a very reasonable price to pay for 4 years (and counting) of no filter maintenance.  The gravel filter is planted so it looks just fine.

I dug steps into the pond so that if someone fell in they could get out. There is a little pea gravel loose on the slightly concave steps which keeps a person from slipping on the slick liner.  Of course this is not full proof and children must be supervised.  I also don't get into the pond to work unless someone is around, "just in case".  (I also unplug the pump whenever I get into the pond - just in case.)

I wear socks when working in the pond.  The pond liner is very, very slippery and for some reason socks provide me with more traction than shoes, sandals, bare feet or anything else.  I don't really get it but it works for me.  :)

Also, we placed large flat rocks so they hang out over the edge of the pond just a little.  This give the fish a place to hide if they happen to be near the edge of the pond when a predator drops by.  The rocks are large enough and heavy enough that we can walk on them with no danger of tipping into the pond.

emm

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 10:16:05 AM »
Very good points!  But my dh wouldn't dig my pond for me, I dug it, lined it, and filled it myself with only my (then) 2 year old son to help me.  Who needs a man anyway.   :)

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 09:26:14 AM »
We put steps in ours too. I used the 8 x 16" cement patio blocks and layed carpet over the cement under the liner.  My thinking was more for me to get in and out than safety. DUH!!

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 09:51:25 AM »
What a good post!  I am new here...we just put in our first pond a few months ago.  I am already realizing the mistakes I have made with it.  It is 13 x10, three feet deep, with an connected bog and rock filter and a biological filter hidden inside a barrel fountain.  The water is forced through the barrel filter, then trickles through the gravel and bog plants roots. I put steps too....I figured my people or my dogs would fall in.  It was me that actually fell in this weekend.  So the steps were definitely handy.

Already I am realizing we need more pump power, more electrical outlets, (and thanks to a visit from a Least Bittern and several water snakes...more fish.   :(  I realized the necessity of netting to protect my fish and captured two snakes with the skimmer net this weekend.   The bittern hasn't returned.)

Wish I had found this forum during the construction phase :)

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 05:39:02 PM »
Ruthie, it sounds like your pond and mine are similar in size. I like it because it is easy to take care of for me. My DH isn't interested in the maintenance part of the pond.

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 06:39:08 PM »
My husband has been in charge of emergency repairs (like when I accidently cut the liner in the bog filter :P)  and water flow issues.  That was a headache.   But I did all the digging and the installation too.  And the maintanance.  Yup.  I am the one with the skimmer net.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"