Author Topic: Lilies detroyed! What would do this :(......  (Read 1530 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Lilies detroyed! What would do this :(......
« on: July 09, 2007, 08:12:01 AM »
I had offered my extra lilies for postage and had them seperated out and in bucket with water.  I went out there this morning  to box them up  and the buckets are turned over and the lilies, what is left of them are all over the yard.  I cant even find most of them.  They dont seem to have eaten on the roots but the leaves and stems are almost all gone . 

It just kils me to see all these big roots laying out on the ground.   Guys IM sorry I have refunded your payments :(  I had one box done last night then I had thoughts that it would be better to wait and do it so they could sit in water  longer.  Sure wish I had not waited.   

tinkster
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 08:17:56 AM by tinkster »

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Lilies detroyed! What would do this :(......
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 08:22:16 AM »
Tinkster, that's a real shame.  :(  Don't know what would do that in your area but around here the raccoons are usually the culprits for that sort of thing.  Pop your lily tubers back into some water if you haven't already done that.  They'll be fine and before long will grow some new leaves.  It sure is disheartening to see your hard work torn up.  emm

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 08:25:06 AM »
That is horrible!  I can imagine your sadness when you found that sight this morning  :-\  I agree with Emm though- just put the rhizomes back into some water and they should recover just fine, sprouting pads again soon.  I don't know what it could have been either, but I would also guess at a Raccoon.  At least whatever did it has never bothered anything in your pond.
Joey

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 08:27:07 AM »
Sorry to hear this Tink. :(

As Emm says, the lilies will be fine.

I had a similar thing happen but the coons only rooted thru the lilies and made a mess... ate many, many fish though. 

My bet is a possum....

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 08:46:36 AM »
Tink sorry about the lilies. Lately I ease outside in the morning to see if anything is scattered across the yard. One of the downsides of ponding.

Offline Argos5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 09:56:52 AM »

Caught  'im

Ventura County, California, Zone 8b

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 10:15:28 AM »
alright Argos!! one more for the good guys!  O0

i'm not guessing, that was the work of raccoons!! i've seen it too many times with my lilies in tubs. they love to uproot them and do as much damage as they can i think. i can't count how many times i've had to put torn up rhizomes back into pots. i recently bought some more rubbermaid containers so i can put the lids on them at night. only thing that keeps the varmints out. and i find fresh muddy paw prints on the lids almost every morning. >:(- >:(- >:(-

one of these days i'm going to have to eat raccoon meat. it will taste awfully sweet to me!!   &-)
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 10:25:10 AM »
Aw, such a shame that such a cute little guy could wreak such havoc!!

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 10:57:06 AM »
Dag, Tinkster........what ashame.  Glad it wasn't in you main ponds.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 11:32:57 AM »
I feel awful for the havoc you had to experience.  But the guys posting above have great suggestions for ya. 

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 12:01:04 PM »
How disappointing, especially since you good homes for them. Nature is wonderful but sure can make our lives difficult at times.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 12:06:19 PM »
Oh Tink, I'm so sorry. All of your kindness of finding people who wanted them and some critter has to destroy that.
Do you have a dog? We have 2 and never have racoons in our back yard. They'll come in the front yard but not the back. Same with bunnies. All of our neighbors have been fighting bunnies this summer and we haven't had any problem at all with them. I'm sure this is because our dogs chase them and apparently the bunnies know it by now. Our dogs don't stay outside, just are out a lot during the day and evenings when any of us are out.
zone 5b

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 02:54:41 PM »
Raccoon(s) for sure. No other pond predator trashes plants like that. Like they pick up and chew on or handle every single one looking for food.
Sorry.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"