Author Topic: Wood's Blue Goddess & others  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Wood's Blue Goddess & others
« on: July 12, 2007, 08:19:44 AM »
Hubby built me a new pond over the weekend & it feels nice to have a bit of temporary elbow room to move some of my lilies around.  Wood's Blue Goddess was taking over one of my 6 ft ponds, so it now has room to spread out in the 8x12 foot pond.  The pads are HUGE! 

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 06:06:11 AM by Kat »
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Wood's Blue Goddess & others
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 09:03:52 AM »
WOW 8-)~ 8-)~ Lucky lady  O0  Your hub did a great job.  Your lilies are beautiful and so many different kinds I've not seen here.  :D :)

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 09:43:17 AM »
Now that the kids are grown up... I love your new swingset replacement.... LOL.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 10:14:38 AM »
Love the new pond Kat!  I don't have any raised wooden ponds, but I love the way they look.  A raised wooden pond and stock tank are still on my list to add.  I had to laugh when I read how you so casually threw in "temporary" room.... naturally, any newly added free room isn't going to be vacant for long- I can relate to that!  :P lol  Speaking of that, I would love to buy a division of your Wow if you have one next year (and if I have some more "temporary" room by then)   ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:54:57 AM by joeyb5980 »
Joey

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 11:00:49 AM »
Love your lily ponds Kat. O0 One of these days when I get my own place again my yard is going to look like yours. ;D
Wow, is sure pretty. On screen the color looks very much like Mayla. Are they about the same color??
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 11:41:17 AM »
Thanks.

Tim--I've eyeballed that spot for a pond for a couple of years now.  My kid didn't play on it much, so as you know it went bye, bye this year  O0

Joey--You'll need to send me an email with Wow in the title so I can file it in the WANTED folder for next year.  Not sure I'll have a division as I'm surprised it survived at all this year since the rhizome was tiny & frail.  I planted it in a mesh basket so the soil could breathe & that may have made a big difference.  Yep, temporary room as the lilies get bigger there won't be any water surface left  :D

Shanna--it is very close to Mayla but the growth habit appears to be smaller.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 06:05:53 AM by Kat »
Kat

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 11:48:58 AM »
Yep, temporary room as the lilies get bigger there won't be any water surface left  :D

yeah, AND as you add more lilies (c'mon, you know you will)   lol

I hate to have you hold me a division though if I don't end up having room for it, so I will just keep a note that you have it and ask you about it early next season if I am interested then  :)  Between Frank and Marie, I am getting 4 new lilies in the mail this week, so my space is already limited again  :D
Joey

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 12:11:32 PM »
Very nice, Kat. I do like Wow and Kishin is very pretty too. Your ponds look wonderful.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Loritx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 12:41:29 PM »
Your "temporary elbow room" is HUGE!!  Makes my pond look like a puddle!!   O0  I need to show my husband your ponds!! 
Lori TX

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 07:14:29 PM »
Your ponds all look sooooo pretty.... makes me feel bad about having grass in my back yard... it is only half grass now ... but the back yard is hilly ... I could not have the kind of raised ponds you have but I have been thinking of a kiddy pool ... maybe next year.... and why is it I don't have that lily Kishin???  that lily is worthy building a new pond ...

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 07:36:18 PM »
your ponds & lilies are beautiful kat ! O0
Your Wow is a lighter color than mine too. I wonder why? It's still beautiful!
bonnie

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 05:35:49 AM »
Maryvonne & Myra--Kishin is one of Garet Uemura's hybrids that he sent me last year.  It has been an outstanding performer!  Stays a nice compact size & blooms galore.  Once I get extras of it, I'll offer it as a trade only plant to see if I can get some other harder to find lilies to add to my collection.  Keep your fingers crossed that this winter I don't have the massive losses like I did this past winter.

This style of pond is very easy to do.  Just make sure the ground is level.  I use old carpet for an underlayment & then the liner once the walls are built.  A pond this size will bow out the sides a bit, so if you don't want that to happen you'll need to use posts & cement as a brace on sides longer than the 8 ft.  The bowed sides don't bother me, so we've never done it.

Bonnie--my Mayla & Wow are in ponds that get morning sunshine & then shade after 2-3 pm, so not getting full sunlight might be affecting the color.

Kat

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"