Author Topic: POND DECHLOR FOR SALE- SODIUM THIOSULPHATE  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
POND DECHLOR FOR SALE- SODIUM THIOSULPHATE
« on: June 21, 2007, 12:49:17 PM »
ALL SOLD

I purchased this in bulk because I was tired of paying the high price for liquid pond dechlor.  >:(-

I've researched and you will find that this is what some people use and it will effectively treat and remove chlorine and chloramine from tap water making it safe for fish and other aquatic animals. 

I'm currently selling this on Ebay but have a Special for my friends here...

$3.00 for 18 oz, which will treat up to 37,500 G - plus shipping

Use all at once or alittle at a time, your choice.  (The crystals will keep for several years if kept dry)

Alittle information found off of the net:

Water from public supplies (i.e. city, county) will contain one of two chemicals to prevent water-born diseases.  The first chemical commonly used is a small amount of chlorine.  Chlorine will evaporate out of water within days to hours depending on the concentration level and amount of aeration.  To lengthen the time chlorine stays in the water, some suppliers will use chloramine which is a compound of chlorine and ammonia.  Of course we do not want either chlorine or chloramine to enter our ponds.  All of us should be using a dechlorinator when doing our weekly 10% or more water change.

The most basic, least expensive, and safest dechlorinator is the compound sodium thiosulphate (ST).  ST comes in milky crystals that look like oily rock salt.  ST will neutralize chlorine on contact.  If the water contains chloramine, ST will break the chlorine-ammonia bond.  ST will then neutralize the chlorine.  What happens to the remaining trace of ammonia?  It is handled by the pond?s filter the same as the ammonia being produced by the koi.

When should we use ST?  Anytime we do a water change where there is a working filter and the source water contains chlorine or chloramine (i.e., virtually all public water supplies).  Note we said where there is a working filter.  Something has to eat the ammonia!!!!    If you are setting up a new pond or a quarantine facility you may not have a working filter with bacteria ready to eat ammonia.  In such a case, consider using a commercial dechlorinator product such as a Amquel + or ChloramX that will breakdown or bind the ammonia.  ST will do nothing about ammonia.

What do I need to make some of this ST dechlorinator?

ST crystals ( I will supply)

You will need to supply:

One plastic container (1 quart or one gallon) for making and storing dechlorinator (don't use glass around pond!) -

One quart or 1 gallon of distilled water or tap water (depends on how much dechlor you want to prepare)

To make and use dechlor:

measure 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of ST and place it in a 1 quart plastic container or, measure 500 grams (17.6 ounces) of ST into a 1 gallon plastic container

add distilled or tap water to fill the container (1 quart or 1 gallon)

mix the crystals into the water; they should readily dissolve

use one liquid ounce of the dechlor for each 295 gallons of tap water to be dechlorinated

Your quart of dechlorinator should handle ~ 9,463 gallons of tap water.  A gallon of the dechlorinator should handle ~37,850 gallons of tap water.

Recipe:
Make a solution consisting of 4 ounces (1/4 lb) Sodium Thiosulfate crystals (photo or technical grade) dissolved in 1 gallon of distilled or deionized water. Use 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of the solution for each 10 gallons of makeup water to neutralize up to 3.75 ppm chlorine.  One cup can be used for each 500 gallons. (The entire one gallon of solution will treat about 7500 gallons of tap water.) The shelf life of the solution is about six months when stored in a cool location. The crystals will keep for several years if kept dry.

** I will not be held responsible for misuse of this product.
I will only stand by the product by saying that  this is SODIUM THIOSULPHATE CRYSTALS.
Your decision to use and mix is your responsibility.

Also know this is a chemical and precautions are needed and your responsibility. Put in a safe place.
Keep away from Pets, Children and take all necessary precautions to prevent skin and eye irritation and/or injury**

Here's my ebay listing but don't bid because I can't do the special on ebay.. let me know here if you'd like some of this.  Thanks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190125321809&rd=1&rd=1
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 11:02:01 AM by Bonnie »

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: POND DECHLOR FOR SALE- SODIUM THIOSULPHATE
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 12:59:47 PM »
Bonnie you have a pm...thanks soo much for offering this....boy I'm sitting here thinking of all the $$ this is going to save me  @O@ @O@ I normally go thru 2-3 bottles of pond prime a year  :o
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 01:04:33 PM »
Yes, I always bought pond prime too.. now I use it ONLY if I have high ammonia which I can't get down with a water change, and it's saved me big $$

Lawanna, I think we'll be better going flat rate postage for 6# of this.....

just let me know.

Thanks,
Bonnie

OH.. this will come in a plastic bag but it doesn't matter what it's stored in..

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 01:09:58 PM »
Oh and don't stress about mixing this yourself.. some people that use frequently will just take a bit in their hand and throw in the water, you would have to overdose by ALOT to harm your fish.

ALOT meaning 20x or so the amount, maybe more.

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 03:36:08 PM »
Me please!!!! I just bought some dechlor the other day. The cheapest we can find anymore locally is at a place I HATE to give my business to.....they aren't friendly at all, act like they're doing you a favor, but the other places are twice the price and more.
Hubby is home right now. I'll even have him do paypal right away for me.
Cath
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 05:36:53 PM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 06:59:29 PM »
Hey Bonnie ,
If u have any left I would like to have some.
thx bonnie

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 08:21:17 PM »
Hi Bonnie, you can just get some whenever you and Christy come.  I still have plenty, just be sure and remind me!

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 08:44:55 PM »
I'll tie a string on my fingure so I won't forget... ::)
bonnie

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 02:37:19 PM »
Bonnie mine arrived today...thanks... O0 O0
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline LuvMyFish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 07:46:16 PM »
I just want to let all of you know Sodium Thiosulphate does NOT remove chloramines. It will only remove the chlorine out of tap water. If you are using it to remove chloramines you run a big chance of killing fish with large water changes. The ammonia levels will be unsafe for your fish.

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 10:59:28 AM »
I just want to let all of you know Sodium Thiosulphate does NOT remove chloramines. It will only remove the chlorine out of tap water. If you are using it to remove chloramines you run a big chance of killing fish with large water changes. The ammonia levels will be unsafe for your fish.

As posted, if your filter is not established and doesn't take care of the small trace ammonia, then something such as Amquel Plus or Pond Prime is needed...

ST breaks apart chloramine into chlorine and ammonia.
Then it neutalizes the chlorine.....leaving the trace of ammonia.
Unless you pond and filters are running at the edge.....the filters should be able to handle the small amount of freed ammonia.

If your water company add a lot of chloramine (as I have heard some do over there) then using ST will release a small amount of ammonia when it neutralizes the chlorine part of chloramine.If this is measurable,which it shouldn't be with a test kit,it will be dealt with by the filters if they are up to the job.

If doing a massive (50%+) water change in the colder months,with a high chloramine content (check with your water company),or if your filters are disconnected due to the cold,it may be better to use a binder.

Never rely on the water company for info on chlorine levels in your water. There are some quick dip test strips that register low levels of chlorine (designed for pond use not pool use). If you are doing a re-fill or 50% change, just check the levels for yourself.

This is one source where I got my information from.
http://koishack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10528&st=0&p=171728&#entry171728

http://koishack.com/forums/index.php?act=Search&CODE=simpleresults&sid=ef6b3c7aebe74cb0a2e5de88345b7770&highlite=chloramine

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 11:00:41 AM »
OH BTW, this refreshed my memory to post that I no longer have an extra supply of this for sale.. keeping the rest for personal use.

Thanks,
Bonnie

Offline LuvMyFish

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 01:16:39 PM »
Hi Bonnie,

I just wanted to make sure people know that it does nothing for the ammonia in chloramines. Some sites tells you it does. I can tell everyone it doesn't. I learned this the hard way. It cost me three of my nicer fish worth over $3,000 to find this out.

In the summer is the real touche time. Water companys add even more ammonia to the chloramines. If someone is using Sodium Thiosulphate and doesn't test their water all the time, be real careful with it if you have chloramines. The larger the water change the high risk you run with the ammonia levels spiking. My pond has double the filtration I need on it and it still couldn't keep up with it. But again I feed my koi a lot more then most. In the summer I feed them about 7 times a day. When this happened I was doing about 30% to 40% water change a week to get max growth out of them. The 30% to 40% water changes was not all in one day. It was about 8% a day.

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 02:07:51 PM »
Wow sorry to hear that..

A test kit is always a good thing to have. I admit I use mainly the strips which aren't as accurate but they give me an idea if something is off.

Offline LuvMyFish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 03:40:05 PM »
Bonnie I test my water all the time because of how much I feed. What sucked was the ammonia test kit I had must have been old. I tested the water once a week at that time. NEVER knowing I did have a ammonia issue. After doing a number of things to try to find out what's going on. I got a new test kit and it showed a very high ammonia level in the pond. All I can say to people is don't use old test kits also. At that time I was keeping them outside. I think the heat messed up the test kit. It made me want to cry when I lost those three koi. It always seems to be the nicer ones, or the ones you like best.  :'(

After that I thought why would it be so high. I was adding a lot of Sodium Thiosulphate each time after doing a water change. I thought let me test the Sodium Thiosulphate to see if it's removing the ammonia. I got a bucket of tap water and added some Sodium Thiosulphate to it. First test showed ammonia. Then I added more, still had ammonia in it. I added the whole container to the 5 gallon bucket. Guess what, AMMONIA. I call the people that made it and they said it does remove chloramine, I told them it sure doesn't, and they need to test it. Sure enough I got a call back and it doesn't. Now the containers doesn't have that it removes chloramines.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"