Author Topic: Remember my Huge Water Hycaniths They got revenge on me  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Remember my Huge Water Hycaniths They got revenge on me
« on: September 13, 2006, 12:24:47 PM »
Its rained here since Sunday afternoon, and I worked Friday night and Saturday night.  Had my dad's b-day dinner here at the house Sunday.  The weekend before, holiday weekend was gone on Sunday and Monday.  Well, my hyacinths got there revenge for me not paying attention to them.  (I had planned to thin them out, after my company left Sunday but it started thundering, lightening and pouring).

They blocked my pipes to the waterfalls and drained part of my pond.  I was walking out front for a minute and heard the falls, but they sounded different.  Ooops, I found out why.

I plan to take advantage to the water level being low and move my lilies closer to the edge.  Then maybe, just maybe I won't have to wade in the cold water in a couple weeks to trim the pads down. 

(Look how ugly everything looks, you can tell its almost the end of my pond season  :'()

But there was a lesson learned, I'll never neglect the hycaniths again.  Because they can pay you back.... lol

Kimberly

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
Re: Remember my Huge Water Hycaniths They got revenge on me
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 02:03:49 PM »
Kim,
Your pond looks just like my small one. I've been so busy lately that I've neglected it too. Our new pup likes to swim in the pond and play in the stream. Any way I now have leaks in the stream and don't have time to find them. I have to add water every day to keep the level up.
It's nice that your hyacinths have grown so well. They don't always do well for me.

maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 02:36:50 PM »
Well, we've been out there tonight.  We also decided to yank all that water mint out.  It was just taking over everything.  I will say, right now the back yard smells so good, very minty

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 06:41:14 AM »
Yup, water mint is invasive.  But then ALL mints are invasive.  I still love the smell, though and allow it to grow where it will be stepped on in pathways.  I got rid of al my water hyacinths years ago since they were more trouble than they were worth.  Pretty blooms though.  Can't have everything.   At one time I had 30 plus water plants in my ponds, but only water lilies lotus, and a couple of others now, since I can no longer pull 300 pound pseudacorus pots out of the ponds.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 08:32:26 AM »
don't you just hate to walk out to a half empty pond.....our cats have been known to knock my hose loose thats why I never leave my pump on the bottom of the pond...always on a ledge or a block so even if I don't find it in time...I at least have enough water in it to save the fish....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"