Author Topic: What do you know about heel spurs?  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What do you know about heel spurs?
« on: July 21, 2007, 06:56:55 AM »
I began feeling soreness in my left heel on the inside corner a few days ago beginning in the early evening but by the next morning it was gone. Yesterday afternoon I was shopping and it began to be sore and finally I began to wonder if I should go home because it hurt so much. This morning it is just as intense.

Of course I go barefoot all the time and in the warm weather wear only sandals when a foot covering is necessary. I have just Googled a bit about heel spurs and I'm kinda scared about the things I read. There was something called Ezorb that was supposed to alleviate the pain. Then there's some sonic/lazer treatment. The next site talked about orthotics. And of course they all talked about avoiding surgery by using the things they were selling. This really bothers me mentally because I am so active and on my feet all the time. My work history entailed my being on my feet all day for years. So today, I am wearing my lace up walking shoes but it still hurts a lot when I put pressure on my foot.

Offline lindaky

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What do you know about heel spurs?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 02:03:13 PM »
I have heel spurs. Right now they aren't bothering me. I have finally stopped going barefoot because that makes them hurt so bad. I wear flip flops even in the house to keep from aggervating them. You can get a cortizone shot in your heel and it hurts really bad but it's worth it. I would try that first. Sometimes they don't hurt for years after a shot. I've been ok for about 2 years now but if I go barefoot much they remind me they are still there and I start wearing some sort of shoe all the time again. The inserts in my shoes helped some when they were really bad. My insurance would not pay for the orthotics. They were about $300.00. If you have any more questions just ask. I've tried everything except surgery.

Offline Argos5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 10:02:42 PM »
Could be plantar fasciitis (inflammation of bands of tissue under the foot) which has similar symptoms and is more common...see a podiatrist.

Ventura County, California, Zone 8b

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 09:39:56 AM »
I have bone spurs a plenty in my feet but they come and they go.  Doctors don't know why I have this problem.  The first time I had one on the instep of my heel the doctor prescribed surgery.  I was stupid and did it.  Worst pain I have ever felt and laid me up for 2 weeks and they cut a muscle to my baby toe.  Now I can't move it at all.  Since then I've experienced more spurs in various locations on the bottom of my feet.  I wear thick socks at home or special gel pads in my shoes when I feel a spur.  Then miraculously it goes away.

I would say baby your feet for a while with padding and stay off the area as much as you can.  I will never do surgery on my feet for bone spur again.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 11:57:58 AM »
Mikey mentioned that Plantar F stuff too. It it much better today as yesterday and today I have worn real shoes all day. Yesterday afternoon I even took a nap and laid on the couch watching TV for about 3 hours, about went out of my head laying around. But the foot was much better even last night. Phew!! So will continue with the shoe wearing and babying it. The last thing I want is surgery and having to be off it for several weeks. :o

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 12:26:36 PM »
Spur is a calcium build up on the bone.  That has something to do with becoming flat footed, (I'm severely flat footed now, and didn't use to be)

ALWAYS wear shoes with arches!  Don't go barefooted.  Its took me almost a year of wearing shoes all the time.  It was well worth it in the end.  It sucked not going barefooted, hated to put my tennis shoes on all the time. Even in the house, trust me in time it will help although you don't think so.  But ya gotta do, what ya gotta do.  Now, to go outside I can handle wearing my backless tennis shoes with out my inserts.

Spurs are very painful, I had one for almost 2 years.  Finally it got so bad I just couldn't live with it anymore.  Some orthopedics will say get othototics made.  But, for now Esther...get something called Powersteps inserts. (Footlocker carries them, but call around to some Ortho docs they will have them for sale too, although they are cheaper other places.  They made the world of difference for me, my mother has them too and different doc told her the same thing.  Oh, something else about having them made, I was told the ones they can make now that fit in regular tennis shoes run about 400.00.  I was going to do it, but he said those were really good until I made a decision.  Its taken care of me, so I never had the others made.  Alot of times the ones that the docs make, you have to have special shoes too because they don't fit in your tennis shoes. 

So far mine has been under control for 2 years.  Every now and then I'll get a pain but it doesn't last long.  I was to the point, if I had to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom I almost had to hop or crawl.  It would almost make me cry it hurt to bad.  With me walking the floors at bingo, which I walked almost 6 miles 4 days a week.  Plus with me letting it go for so long, I was walking funny and I've paid for that with my knee.  Don't let it go, get something done.....but since the inserts everything has gotten better.

I felt so dumb doing these exercises, wouldn't do them for a long time.  But after I started doing what I was told everything got better.

I had one in my left foot.  I've had 2 cortisone shots.  They said that the shot could last 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months or forever.  It helped for 3 months exactly, then it was worse than before.  I went and got another shot.  He had me doing different excise's, like getting something round, I used a piece of top railing from the fence (you could use 2 inch PVC).  While your sitting, you roll you feet back and forth on it.  It hurts to do, but it helps to stretch out the tenants in the arch area and dissolve the spur.  Also, standing on steps back off the step just enough of the front part of your feet are holding you on the step.  Stretch up (kinda of like tiptoeing but your still using the front of your foot and hold for about 30 sec, then back down.  Then do it the opposite way, let your heels hang below the step.  You know how people stretch before running, one leg bent the other behind...do that with no shoes on.

Here is a link of what they are...don't settle for a cheaper kind....BELIEVE me its well worth it.  In time you will love these!

https://plus37.safe-order.net/cgi-heelspurs/a/b.cgi?p=pow

Kim
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 12:39:29 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 04:28:18 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Tomorrow I'm going to the pharmacy in our Meijer store. There is some new machine that you step on and it tells you which shoe insert to get and other stuff. I really haven't looked at it yet so want to check it out to see if it sounds like what you are talking about.

Again today I mostly layed around and we went for a long ride out to Lake Michigan and haven't done much walking. It feels much better already.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 06:54:16 PM »
I have had plantar fasciitis (sp) and have had to wear shoes, even flip flops in the house to keep from going barefoot.  I HATE that, but it really does help.  I think the heel spurs are a different matter, but Esther, if you have to buy orthotics for your shoes it's well worth it.  I have healed my plantar stuff but I do have to baby my feet.  I always wear arch supports and have inserts in my station boots for the fire house.  I think surgery would be my last option, since most people I've known that have had it, seems to me that it didn't help that much.  I would want surgery to FIX my problem.... {:-P;;   Good luck, let us know how you're doing!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 07:10:46 PM »
Boy if it isn't one thing, it's another. The poison ivy is at the end of the 5th day of treatment and is beginning to dry up but still itches terribly if I get hot and sweaty. Just as that is about done, I start this last problem. Like they say, getting old isn't for the weak.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 08:18:30 AM »
Esther, Esther, Esther.........don't waste your money at Meijers.  I promise you, you will not be sorry getting the powersteps brand.  They are so close to the ones that the Ortho doc would make.  I guess I'm a firm believer in those because they helped me so much.  I will never be without them in my shoes.  There so easy to pull in and out, I just switch them around to other shoes.  These have lasted me for over year and a half. 

Kim

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 01:30:25 PM »
Are the powersteps made to fit? This machine at Meijer has you step on it and then do certain positions like leaning ahead and standing on each foot one at a time while it measures how you stand and how your foot is positioned and how the arch fits in your feet. There is a design showing on the screen each time you move. Then when you are done, it tells you which one to buy. So I already got it before you said what you said last. I had a pair of Hilo Hattie sandals on at the time so just slipped the left orthotic in to finish my shopping at Meijer. It felt better right away. So I hope it wasn't a waste of money.

My late uncle sold custom orthotics for a living. His wife still will do it but if I remember right they were a good $100 or more and wouldn't fit in anything but a lace type leather shoe, not tennis shoes or sandals.

Well we'll see what happens. I bought some Aleve to help get rid of the inflammation.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 02:53:16 PM »
No, you just buy them in your size.  Highly Orthopedic recommended!  I promise you'll come to love them.

Kim

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 02:47:49 PM »
I had to have custom orthodics & got the shots in my feet, also.  The stretching execises, wearing something to cushion/support the foot at all times walking, etc.  The same stuff as everyone else has mentioned.  The way I finally got rid of the pain ..... I got pregnant!  The process during pregnancy to limbering up everything also made me feet much better.  Unfortunately it also made my feet a size bigger  :o
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 05:17:43 PM »
 ;D LOL@Kat

Well pewey!!. It sounds like I won't be going barefoot the rest of my life then. I have been staying off my feet some the last few days and when I'm up, I am wearing the orthotocs in my sandals and my foot feels much better. PHEW!!

Kim I found the Powersteps on Ebay pretty cheap and one place had a free shipping.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"