Author Topic: BIG dragonfly, few blooms, and Bonnies SOS  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
BIG dragonfly, few blooms, and Bonnies SOS
« on: July 19, 2007, 12:20:37 PM »
This big old dragonfly is hanging from a 2x6, and the board behind him is also a 2x6.  I bet his body was about 4 inches long.

Look Bonnie, Star of Siam is blooming.  I had to rescue that lily from my big pond.  For some reason the Koi really like its pads.  They nibble on the others from time to time, but they were really chowing on the SOS.  When I moved it, I only had 3 pieces of pads left..LOL

Just a few pics of some blooms today in the ponds.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 01:10:40 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: BIG dragonfly, few blooms, and Bonnies SOS
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 12:22:34 PM »
Couple more and waiting for this Lotus bloom to open.  I sure hope today's storms that's coming this way doesn't destroy it.  Really looking forward to seeing it bloom.

Kim

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 01:21:11 PM »
Beautiful pics Kim.  Love the SOS color!

Offline tnkoigal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 04:13:28 PM »
What beautiful blooms Kim.  Can't wait to see the Lotus. Just got a storm here.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 04:29:35 PM »
Oh my tha't a pretty lily!! Great dragonfly shot! I have one like that who has been coming around. Everytime I get my camera it disappears.
Kathy

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 07:17:35 PM »
We just had a bad storm here, went out and checked the bud on the Lotus is still there.  There were trees blown down a few miles from here, really strong winds.  Lights in on and off I bet 25 times.  We finally just turned everything off and waited for the storm to end.  We lost power Tuesday night from a storm for about 4 hours, oh well we needed the rain.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!  :hug:

Kim

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 10:03:13 PM »
Nice looking dragonfly. Your lilies are looking very nice too. Can't wait to see your lotus bud open.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 08:27:43 AM »
Since I have really started taking an interest in Dragonflies I had to find out what that was. I e-mailed Joh Abbot at the University of Texas and he informs me that what you have there is a female Epiaeschna heros (Swamp Darner).
It is one of the largest of the Dragonfly species http://www.carolinanature.com/odonata/swampdarner.html

Andy

MALE=

FEMALE=

Details=
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 11:45:24 AM »
Thanks for sharing that info Andy, its cool to know exactly what each thing is.  I've had a wide variety of dragonflys this year.  Last year I had the red ones hanging out, but haven't seen them this year.

My son brought home a poster end of the school year.  Its kind of a neat looking poster, worth framing.  Its got all the dragonfly's that would be in KY.  Just the way they have it printed up, it nice looking.   Of course I still have it rolled up.  Maybe I should buy one of those cheap poster frames and hang it in the greenhouse.

Kim

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 06:55:59 PM »
Great pictures kim  O0
A few of my tropicals are starting to bloom too.... ;D
bonnie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"