Author Topic: Lotus from seed  (Read 1148 times)

Offline vmckague

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Lotus from seed
« on: August 21, 2007, 11:45:12 AM »
My lotus did really good this year and gave me about 10 blooms. My question is ,will the seeds that fell from the pods into the pond sprout?? My pond has about 2 inches of gunk on the bottom and maybe they will sprout in this organic matter. Any ideas? This is my first year with this pond and I don't think I'll clean it out this year but wait until next. That is the way I did my old small pond and it did really good for 10+ years. No I don't have a bottom drain I just climb in and start cleaning it out. Kind of a right of spring here. LOL

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Lotus from seed
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 04:22:42 PM »
I really want to say no...I think the seed have to be filed or nicked first....Personally it is alot easier to divide the lotus to get new plants ...rather than start them from seeds....and going into winter with a clean pond is alot better than cleaning it in the spring.....most spring time problems occur from dirty ponds in the winter....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 05:39:22 PM »
Maybe in ten years they might sprout but don't hold your breathe. Clean it all out.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 06:26:38 PM »
I agree with the others.  Much better to clean out in the fall, then you won't have all that muck sitting in the bottom building dangerous toxins.  Then in the spring, blah, yuck and sickness.

As far as your Lotus starting from seeds.  I don't believe they will sprout either.  They need to be scored, filed or nicked.  Then they are very fragile.  I've started them from seeds, but never got past the first leaf or two.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 06:46:06 PM »
I'm afraid I'm going to be a spike in your spoke folk's.....Lotus will sprout from seed without nicking them .
If ya have them in a g'house that is . I've put some compost cow poo in a cornor (sp) of the pond I have in my g'house & I placed some unknicked lotus  seed's in the poo ....wanted to see if they would sprout & they did . They took off pretty good ... After they got their frist pad's . I ended giveing some of them away when they got bigger . One to my cousin Mike & the other's were to people in Gardenweb....because at the time I didn't anyplace to put them .
Just an experment I wanted to try . I did find another small lotus comming up yesterday from the seed .
Somebody over in koipondtalk gave them to me.....maybe Desertponder? Not sure tho .
bonnie

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 06:59:10 PM »
well you learn something new everyday....I have found seeds in my barrels every year and they have not shown any signs of sprouting....maybe it is the gh that is doing it Bonnie....its neat that you got them to grow so well...but, still its soo much easier just to start them from divisions if you have the mother plant....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 07:08:53 PM »
Oh , I'm sure it's the high temp's in the g'house that does it ....Lawanna .
Tho there was a lady in Cincinnati a few year's ago that claimed she just threw in some lotus seed's in her mud pond , they grew & bloomed the next year. I heard that one on the new's , thought she was pretty "lucky" at the time.
bonnie

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 04:49:03 PM »
Lawanna, IMHO, I think starting them from seed is easier. I've never had any luck with tubers.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 05:13:20 PM »
That makes since.  They would have to start in the wild from seeds not being nicked.  Hmmm, greenhouse pond.  Ya, know what I'm gonna do this winter.... ;D

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"