Author Topic: I Have Baby Bettas!!!!  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I Have Baby Bettas!!!!
« on: July 29, 2007, 10:56:43 AM »
I know my bettas had babies out in the tub water garden a while back - bubble nest, female kept away, and I saw a few reeeeely tiiiiny babies at one point.

But I haven't seen nada since, and I figured the male and female have eaten all the babies.  Can't understand why they haven't started on a new bubble nest, though.

Well, today I spied two little bitty babies out there.  I fished them out - I mean, about ½" long or LESS.  The biggest was just starting to show color, but no long fins yet.  I put the largest one in a mesh basket floating in the pond, and the other will come in the house 'til his bigger.  Later, I found two more even smaller ones, and fished them out to bring inside, too. 

I bet that where those came from, there are still a few more out there.  When they first hatched and were swimming on their own, I took a Chinese restaurant spoon and scooped out some and put them in my tadpole tubs.  If they could feed themselves at that age, they are probably alive still, too.  In another month or so, they should be big enough to find easily - at which point, they will need to be seperated.

Since I've never had any koi or goldfish spawn actually hatch, this is pretty exciting!

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I Have Baby Bettas!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 11:47:30 AM »
How cute!!!  Congratulations!!!

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 12:46:20 PM »
How exciting!  I would love to see pictures of them, as well as the tub water garden.   :)

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 03:26:53 PM »
Pretty neat!

When I was a teenager, I had a pair of dwarf gouramis that spawned in bubble nests a few times in a 2 1/2 gallon aquarium.  None of the fry survived though.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 04:51:03 PM »
There's the mom showing.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 05:23:26 PM »
It is EXCITING!  Are these the same bettas pet stores sell in cups?  Pretty color guys and plain Janes?  If so that is so interesting because I hear all kinds of things happening with mating pairs.  So if you had babes from them...CONGRATULATIONS!  Fun for sure!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 05:24:52 PM »
In all your excitement, did you think that baby Bettas are cannibals. It's the survival of the fittest in that breed. The babies will eat each other until there is only one left. Sorry to break that news to you.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 06:57:32 PM »
Yes, these are the same $3.49 Pet Smart betta.

All of mine are in 1 gal minimum containers, and have plants, and hidey-holes, plus a water change every week, with the amazing liquid Aqari-Sol - which keeps them healthy and their fins long.

Yes, I know they eat one another.  That's why I'm trying to seperate them.  But what to do with five dozen jars up on my hobby room table???

An interesting story on that note... I had only two survive from last year's spawn, and it was a male and a female.  Even though males and females fight (when they're not mating - and even THAT is pretty darned rough!), they lived together out in the 5 gallon kettle. 

But... after I had them in the house for the winter and they were in their seperate tanks,... loe and behold, the female started to grow fins, and she became a true blue male!  It seems that he was disguising himself as a female, in order to be able to live with the other male.  I saw something similar on Public TV, about squid, and how they can change their shape, so I do believe it's possible the betta male could have disguised his appearance until it was safe for him to reveal that he was truely a male.  A coming out of the closet, so to speak.   ;D

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 08:08:29 PM »
 :o lol ::)

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 09:24:38 PM »
But... after I had them in the house for the winter and they were in their seperate tanks,... loe and behold, the female started to grow fins, and she became a true blue male!  It seems that he was disguising himself as a female, in order to be able to live with the other male.  I saw something similar on Public TV, about squid, and how they can change their shape, so I do believe it's possible the betta male could have disguised his appearance until it was safe for him to reveal that he was truely a male.  A coming out of the closet, so to speak.   ;D

That's amazing!!!   :o   And Funny!   lol

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 05:16:58 PM »
Guppies, swordtails, and platties will also do that. If you put all females in, one will turn into a male.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 07:08:48 PM »
Wow baby Betta's , that's Awsome!
bonnie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"