Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 1891 times)

Offline standaman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Need Help
« on: September 10, 2006, 09:20:18 PM »
 I asked this question late last night, but apparently it got lost in cyberspace....Is there any tool or method I can use to remove debris and mud from my pond without roiling the waters and harming my goldfish?
  Thanks in advance,
  Stan

Offline reptilegrrl

• Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 03:26:14 AM »
There is nothing you can use to get rid of debris without somewhat roiling the water, but I don't understand your issue about the goldfish.  Roiling the water does not equal hurting the goldfish.  They will be fine if the water gets messy. 

The waste that you would be stirring up is ALREADY IN THE WATER with them- stirring itup does not make it more toxic.  The only thing that could possibly be chancy is if you have really, really deeply piled debris and it has created pockets of toxic gases.  If that is the case, I would add some estra aeration to the pond as you are working. 

But really, goldfish are pretty hardy.
My pond is a turtle pond!

2006: ~135 gallons of water in a 150 gallon stock tank.
2012: ~250 gallons in a 330 gallon stock tank
2013: ~40 gallon in-ground wading pool for my box turtle

One RES, and a passel of gambusias.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors

Offline tucker

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 06:29:13 AM »
I have goldfish in my pond, and use a wet/dry shop vac to clean the bottom.
My pond is 5000 gals, and use a black pvc pipe to put on the end of the shop vac wand which enables me to reach the middle.   
I shop vac once every 2 weeks,  which gives it a small water change when I refill.
Been using the same shop vac for 4 years - works great for me.

Tucker

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 07:24:16 AM »
A pond vac is a good idea.  Pretty pricey, though.  I've been wondering how to clean out the bottom of my new pond, too.

When I used to have aquariums, I used a long rubber hose thingy where if you put it in the water just right, the water would flow on it's own from one end out the other.  So you could empty the tank that way, no electricity required.  I wonder if they make large versions of those?  Does anyone know what I'm even talking about?   :D

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 07:49:35 AM »
Roiling the water dloes get some gunk to go into the filters, not a bad thing!
I would not mind paying for a pro to come in and do a spring clean up.
So far no one has shown up.
So Cal here, if you know anyone do advise.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 12:59:57 PM »
I know what your talking about Barb.  But, I don't think you could get the same effect.  Maybe on an above ground.  But I would say the ones that are not above ground, you wouldn't ever get the gravity going. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 03:06:39 PM »
Roiling, Roiling, Roing

Keep movin', movin', movin',
Though they're disapprovin',
Keep them fishies movin' Rawhide!
Don't try to understand 'em,
Just rope and throw and grab 'em,
Soon we'll be living high and wide.
Boy my heart's calculatin'
My true love will be waitin', be waiting at the end of my ride.

Move 'em on, head 'em up,
Head 'em up, move 'em out,
Move 'em on, head 'em out Rawhide!
Set 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, let 'em out,
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in Rawhide.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Charla

• Members
  • With us since: 05/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 03:22:08 PM »
Okay, now I've got a tune going in my head and a mental image of Rowdy Yates ( Clint Eastwood ? ) wrangling gold fish!  :o

Charla

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 11:00:22 AM »
Not sure how much debris you need to remove Stan but I just run a fine mesh aquarium net around the bottom of my pond if there it too much gunk on the bottom, generally later in the spring and again later in the fall.  The aquarium net has a short handle so I duct-taped it to an old broom handle.  I can run it along the bottom and it picks up a lot of stuff but not the finest sediment.  I don't mind that though because I prefer not to see the pond liner.  The goldfish really like to hoover in behind the net when I use it so they must be collecting some treats.  The same net works great for scooping out the fall leaves. 

Barb - the hose "thingy" is called a siphon.  It can work on an in-ground pond as long as the discharge end is lower than the water level of the pond.  For most of us that probably means you could only lower the pond by an inch or two. 

emm

Offline Rocmon

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 07:09:22 PM »
I've been slowly removing all the rock I put in my pond. When I stir things up I usually do it to get crud water borne to be collected by the filter. My goldies love me when I get in the water and stir things up. They come up to my toes looking for the tasty bits—worms, insect larva, and the other tasty morsels that live in the bottom debri. I used to be concerned about their health and try not to do it when the water is really cold, but otherwise I stir things up on a regular basis to help move stuff to the filtration.

Offline andrew davis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 07:35:56 PM »
A siphon would certainly work on a pond, where you have a drainage point a foot or two deeper outside of the pond, you could pick up some 1" pipe and that would have plenty of suction to do detail work, though you may want to rig up a simple filter to stop sizeable stones or pebbles from blocking the pipe

Most of the time a large sturdy net is quite adequate for gently removing leaves and larger debris, the fish are likely to poke around where you sweep, to pick up tasty munchies that you are likely to uncover. Doing a little often keeps the debris down to quite manageable levels without bothering the fish

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"