Author Topic: FiberGlass Pond  (Read 993 times)

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
FiberGlass Pond
« on: September 13, 2006, 06:17:09 AM »
Hello,
I am a new member and happy to find another water gardening forum.

I need some advice, please.

I purchased a hugh (4'x8'x34") fiberglass tub at the Habitat for Humanity store and am preparing it to use as a Koi pond.  I sanded the gel coat off the inside, fiberglassed up the original plumbing holes and painted the inside with black PONDSHIELD from PondArmor in California.  My question is:   Should I waterproof  the rough outside of the tub to protect it in the ground?   I live in the mountains in NC  (the coldest part of Zone 6) and we get below freezing every winter.      I purchased a skimmer from the Savio and one of their techs told me to be sure to seal the edges of the cut through the fiberglass where I will attach the skimmer face plate because in areas where there is alot of freeze and thaw that the fiberglass would deteriorate.  This got me to worring about the outside of the fiberglass shell, since it was really not meant to be buried in the ground. 
Also, my son suggested using auto body undercoater for the outside of the tub.  What do you think?

I am looking forward to having a Koi Pond again.  I had several concrete ponds for over 20 years in my former residence.  It was sad to have to leave them.

I appreciate any help that you may be able to give me.   
Thanks,
Ruth Rodriguez
hummingbird13@bellsouth.net

Ruth

Offline Daisy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: FiberGlass Pond
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 07:36:14 AM »
Hi Ruth...sorry I can't be of any help. I don't know anything about fiberglass.  :-\
Just wanted to say hello and welcome you here  (8:-)
This is a great place for info and I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon. Meanwhile, pull up a chair and make yourself at home. ;D

Offline milliemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
Re: FiberGlass Pond
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 06:35:45 PM »
  Hey, Ruth! I can't help you either, but I'm behind you on the Habitat for Humanity store!
  I have bought a BRAND NEW dishwasher for $75 and a 3 YO trash compactor for $100!!!!
  So many great deals!   Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"