Author Topic: Kiddie pool ?? for Kat  (Read 908 times)

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Kiddie pool ?? for Kat
« on: August 03, 2007, 07:42:02 PM »
I just got back from Rite Aid which is not where I normally shop, but was looking for an odd item and they had kiddie pools on sale 25 % off .. bought one 15" high and 6' wide .. I am so excited.  I had thought I would not really look into buying one and getting it set up until Spring.  Now the question I have been afraid to ask.  I have bought a number of trop this year.  As I live in Louisiana would it be better to try to over winter these in the kiddie pool or in the pond.  Here is a list of the ones I am worried about:  I have a number of trop that do over winter in the pond.

Bob Trickett  Key Largo RHONDA KAY  Lavender Lace

Pink Pearl  Barbara Barnett   Gypsy

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Kiddie pool ?? for Kat
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 12:25:53 AM »
How cold does it get there during the winter?  Does it ever freeze???  Probably not, but you know this wacky weather.  I bet your pond would be the safest.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 05:13:58 AM »
I would overwinter the lilies in whichever pond stays warmer.  If you wanted to try overwintering them in the kiddie pool, I would wrapping insulation or something around the outside to help keep the water warmer.  You may also want to consider making a PVC/plastic sheeting coldframe over the kiddie pool to keep the water temps higher.  BTW, Gypsy is a hardy but probably would fair well with the trops to get it better established.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 10:36:15 AM »
Yes, Kat .... my thought was there were things I could do to help the kiddie pool be warmer, not that I know what things would help ... Is a cold frame more desirable that just covering the kiddie pond without the frame??

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 11:28:18 AM »
Besides storing the tubers in sand I have overwinterd some tropicals in tubs of water in my cool basement. Light but no heater. The basement stays about 55* at least.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 11:32:12 AM »
I would think it would do better to have the coldframe around it but since I've not done one that way I don't have a way to back it up the opinion.  I would use 2x4 for the lower frame part that sits on the ground, bent & mount the PVC pipe on the inside, & then on the outside screw down 1x2s with the sheeting underneath it.  You'll need to think of a way to hold it down in case of high winds.  With something that small you could just lift it off on a warmer day to do any maintenance in the pool if needed.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"