Author Topic: Humongous bug of some sort  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Humongous bug of some sort
« on: July 12, 2007, 11:18:58 AM »
This morning I got buzzed by this huge bug that looks like it is half dragonfly and half fly with beetle legs.  Here's a close up of it.

and here it is with the 5/8" garden hose in the picture so you can tell how big it is.  It's waaaaaay bigger than any fly I've ever seen.  When it takes off the orange backend really gleams. 

Anyone know what it is?  That butt almost looks like it has a stinger.

Offline Sandyd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Humongous bug of some sort
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 11:50:55 AM »
It is one butt ugly  ;D looking thing.  I wouldn't like the looks of its butt with the stinger hanging out around me.

Maybe it is a mutant. :o

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 01:03:23 PM »
 :o Yikes!!

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 01:35:23 PM »
As much as I hate bugs, seeing the adjective humongous just made me cringe!

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 02:17:57 PM »
Looks like a cicada.  They have large red eyes,   

Are their any 1/2" holes in your yard?  They live underground for 7-17 years and emerge in the summer. 

Cicadas won't hurt you, but females damage small branches when they lay their eggs.  The adults are excellent fishbait!! O0
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 03:07:33 PM »
Cicadas wings are more down covering their bodies.   http://www.cicado.com/  Did that make a loud buzzing sound? Was it a horse fly or deer fly. They are pretty big, and bite. I just Googled horse flies and I don't think that is what you had either.

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 04:06:06 PM »
looks like some sort of wasp to me. a bit bigger than normal, but not so much bigger to be out of the question. ?)(?
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline jax

• Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 06:43:12 PM »
This is the year of the 17 year locusts but that is not what it is.  It has similar wings of a cicadas but there wings wrap down around there body more and they have bigger, bugged red eyes and no stinger.  It has an appearance of a type of wasp too.  I wondered if it was a mutant or possibly a juvenile of some sort.  It isn't any kind of bug I would like to run into.  Hope that was the one and only one you get. I'm going to look on the internet and see if I can find anything similar to your bug. 
Jax

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 07:47:33 PM »
Now that I look at the abdomen again, it is not a cicada.  Don't know . . .
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 07:52:09 PM »
Cicadia... Nah those look ugly as all get out....

This looks like some form of Digger Wasp

or Mydas fly? http://www.invasive.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=1455196
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 04:14:01 PM by El Jefe »
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 08:15:57 PM »
I'm not sure...but if it kept buzzing you it was probably trying to land on  you to bite.  It looks like a horsefly to me, and they are a PAIN in the butt up here around the barns and buzz around my front porch when I'm trying to wash windows!   :D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 08:33:24 PM »
Well, he wasn't really buzzing me he was just flying around the pond and anywhere was too close.  He landed on the deck and was drinking water from a puddle,  in that close up you can see what could loosely be called his tongue down on the deck.   

I too hope that is the only one I ever see.  Yuck! 

There are a type of bee here that eats rose leaves and I believe they live in the ground.  They look like normal bees though unless this was a queen or something.

Just so you know, I was using ALL of that 12x zoom to get that picture. I was not that close to it  {nono}

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 10:02:31 PM »
I don't know, looks like a wasp/bee/fly of some sort. I looked in my big Book 'O Bugs, but didn't see anything like it. My thinking is more like Jax's- possibly a juvenile of something or a deformed individual.

Ha, ha, Jonna, I didn't think you seemed like a squeemish person, flying through the Mexican forests and all.  ;)

Cool bug and great pic, though.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 03:23:05 AM »
 :o

Where's my can of RAID?!!!
Kathy

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 05:34:40 AM »
I'm going with the above poster and saying it's something like a digger wasp. When in Florida, we had some major wasps swarming in our front yard. One dropped dead and I was able to identify it based on the University of Florida Entomology website. I printed out a fact sheet and gave it to the pest control guy. He found the nest in the ground and used a product called "Demon." It took 12 gallons to fill the nest!!! The reason we had them exterminated is because our son played outside and they did buzz by you when you're out, and he's allergic to some stings. I think this is the site I used to get the ID.  http://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/choate/insecpdf.htm

Good luck!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 05:33:42 PM »
Y'all are saying wasp or bee but the antenna say moth. The way that you described the way that it was drinking also sounded like a moth. Did it look like a hummingbird flying?

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
Okay I know this is old but it was bugging me  lol sorry couldn't resist. I asked and entomologist from the University of Texas to Identify it for me and he said that it is indeed a Mydas Fly. Now you know.......  O0

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 12:02:07 PM »
Never heard of a Mydas Fly.

I was going to guess Tarantula Hawk Wasp.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/moja/mojaantw.htm

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 04:21:16 PM »
Jonna has the Mydas touch.... lol

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 07:05:40 PM »
But those Mydas flies had orange wings and black bodies, and not an orange body with clear wings.....still looks like a horsefly to me  :D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 12:10:17 AM »
I spent some time googling and looking for an ID back when I took the picture.  I too came up with Mydas Fly as a good possibility.  I sent the picture with an email to a web site "What's that bug" http://www.whatsthatbug.com/ but never found an answer.  They seem to come in a lot of different color combinations but most have translucent wings and some orange on their body. 

BTW, I saw what I hope was the same fly drowned in the pool about a week later.  I didn't save it and I haven't seen another one. 

That tarantula wasp doesn't really look like it but this is the area they live in.  What a weird, gross bug life, kind of combines 2 really gross bugs in a horrible way.  There are tarantulas around here, all over California really.  I remember finding them in the pool when I was a kid, I don't know why they always seemed to fall in the pool but there would be one in there almost every morning in the summer.   Down in the Yucatan there is a time of the year when the tarantulas mate and they all seem to congregate on the road.  Driving at night you run over thousands of them, really gross... sure makes me not want to get out of the car.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 05:56:37 AM »
There are many different types of mydas fly, and it took me some time as well. When I narrowed it down I asked an entomologist friend from UT and he confirmed it was a Mydas fly. They actually kill and eat many of the pests you don't want; The adults are predatory, feeding on caterpillars, other flies, bees and true bugs and even the occasional wasp. They also feed on nectar which many flies do. Larvae live in rotting wood and probably feed on beetle larvae. Flies do not sting, but they will probably bite if mishandled.

Andy

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 08:45:27 AM »
I lived in Phoenix fifteen years and the only time I have ever seen a wild tarantula, was in New Mexico on a trip, once for 30 seconds, it crept into the light of a streetlight shining down on the ground from the dark right next to my foot and scared the crap out of me. Not afraid of spiders but it was huge and startled me.

They were probably in the pool because they fell in trying to get a drink. The scent of water would have drawn them in.

Horseflies do not have any orange on them. They look just like regular house flies but bigger.

I am sure the entomologist is correct just never heard of a mydas fly. 
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 11:35:45 AM »
I too spent time on a California site that identifies insects and I thought the tarantula hawk was the closest, especially in light of where you live, but I too dismissed it because the coloring wasn't right.  It's possible that the photos on the web are of females and maybe yours was a male.

As a kid I lived in Riverside where I used to catch tarantulas by soaking a cotton ball in ammonia, place it next to their lair and then place a Mason jar over the hole and cotton ball.  In about a minute's time the tarantula would come out and I would scope it up into the jar.  When they calmed down we would play with them and let them walk around on our hands.  Once calmed down they never behaved aggressively and I was never bit, although I was cautious to never pick it up but rather let it crawl onto my hand.  I was told if you pick them up they will bite.  That was at age 7 or so.  I'm now 50 years older and I'm apparently not nearly as brave since I no longer would even consider handling one of those huge spiders.....

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 11:43:25 AM »
I don't know what it is either but I agree with Sandy, That is one butt ugly bug!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 05:55:54 PM »
Down in the Yucatan there is a time of the year when the tarantulas mate and they all seem to congregate on the road.  Driving at night you run over thousands of them, really gross... sure makes me not want to get out of the car.

:no:  I just have an aversion to spiders..and very large ones to be exact.  I don't know why because one has never bitten me, chased me, sought me out, hidden in my shoes or underwear, or chased my kids.   Up here when it rains a lot the worms try to get away from the water and lay by the thousands on the road, but I swear I don't know what I'd do if I saw thousands of tarantulas in the road with my headlights shining on them.  AAAAAAGGGGGGG!
LuAnn

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 04:58:42 PM »
Kitty-
I have a theory about that.......
I think I was a fly in a former life!!! ;D
Kathy

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 06:42:45 PM »
Hmmm, now that's an interesting thought... :o   And I DO hate flies so much living on a farm...I was outside tonight trying to water and weed and work in the pond and they kept biting my ankles.  Just like the cows they constantly twitch their skin and stamp their feet, I was starting to feel like that too  lol    I recently cut my hair so don't have a very long pony-tail to switch the flies off my face either... >:(-
LuAnn

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"