Author Topic: R.I.P Steve Irwin  (Read 7829 times)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P Steve Irwin
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2006, 05:49:44 PM »
I apologize for snapping at people.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2006, 06:05:29 AM »
Thanks for the appology Scott. We all express strong feelings at times.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2006, 09:23:41 AM »
I've read posts all over the Internet from people who said he deserved to die.    &-)   That he was a molester of animals and that he was in it only for the money.

When questioned, most have admitted they've never watched his shows, just seen assorted clips in the media.

The more I research to back up my arguments to them, the more I realize that I only knew the tip of the iceberg as far as the Irwin's involvement worldwide with wildlife conservation. From providing boots and medical care for Thai elephants who were essential to Tsumami cleanup in SE Asia to a multimillion dollar vet hospital for wildlife at the zoo which has treated over 5000 native Australian animals so far, to changing the way the world looks at crocodiles to working with the World Wildlife Fund on saving tigers in the wild to breeding rare animals for release back to the wild.....the man had his finger in the wildlife conservation pie all over the world.

Such a huge loss.  :'(
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Cindi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2006, 11:36:21 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to post your research Lee Anne.  I watched his shows a lot, but I never knew a lot of what you posted.  I think he and his family were/are a real asset to wildlife conservation.
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2006, 03:36:53 PM »
CRIKEY! MATES!

I loved Irwin's shows and was always immensely entertained by them.

I never said Irwin deserved to die.  I merely said that in the case where people take risks that are inherently

dangerous and are of no particular necessity other than "showing off", that should they be injured or killed that

calling it an "accident" seems to me to be innacurate, notwithstanding Webster's definition.  Here's an

example:  I saw a program where a fool jumped out of an airplane without a parachute, then glided to

another skydiver who had a parachute, and hooked up with him to come down.  If he had died as a result of

the stunt, I would not consider his demise to be an "accident", but rather the unpleasant result of unnecesary risk taking.

As far as the ray being buried in the sand, that by no means means that Irwin was unaware of its presence. 

See above in LeeAnnes post the comments by Mike Keating who observed the film footage of Irwins death:

"There is no evidence that Mr. Irwin was intimidating or threatening the stingray, my advice is that he

was observing the stingray
," he said.  (Italics mine).

Also notwithstanding the personal attack on me for simply having an opinion ("keep your unpleasant observations to yourself."), please note that while we may disagree, I have not attacked anyone else.  Perhaps I am mistaken in my understanding that I have the right to express my opinion as much as anyone else.

Ineresting slant on the subject by Mark Washburn in the Charlotte Observer.  Please read:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/15477205.htm

I guess everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion, including me....  I stand by my original post, and you all have the right to express a different opinion.  I wish that everyone could do so without getting personal.

Sorry about the link above, I forgot you have to sign up with the Obsrever to see its content.  Here is Washburn's article:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Sat, Sep. 09, 2006   

TV/RADIO

Something in his nature doomed the croc man
Irwin made a living taunting death, and for what?
MARK WASHBURN

Something in his nature

doomed the croc man Irwin made a living taunting death, and for what?

But.

Listen, Steve Irwin was someone all of us mammals could look up to, a real stand-up guy.

But.

His freak death was a shocker, killed by a stingray Monday while doing a documentary on the Great Barrier Reef.

But.

Stout and intrepid, gutsy and bold, Irwin was a terrific entertainer with a personality big as the Australian Outback.

But.

Irwin pushed it too far.

Nobody seems to want to say it, but Irwin's demise was not -- quotes in this newspaper to the contrary -- a one-in-a-million fluke.

Irwin's death was the result of taking a featherbrained risk for the camera, an impromptu stunt that ended just like you'd expect it to.

From a bridge in the Florida Keys, I once saw a ray drift past. It's a vivid memory of an animal the circumference of a Volkswagen Beetle gliding by with elegant grace.

And in that beautiful moment, every cell in my body barked at the brain: You Do Not Want to Mess With That Thing.

Irwin made a living overriding that survival instinct. It was part of his considerable charm, that swaggering sense of immortality cloaking him as he'd wade into a crocodile pit and pick out an ugly specimen.

Never mind the jaws that could crush an auto bumper, the tails that could knock bricks out of a wall. It was all "Lookee here mate," and that prehistoric bundle of big muscle and bad mood was a toy in his grasp.

Irwin, who once demonstrated his pluck by holding his infant son while feeding a nest of crocs, seems to have been pushing the limit of luck for a long time.

Stingrays are a reclusive clan as a rule, content to brood in solitary, but swimming over top of one begs an unpleasant surprise for all concerned.

"Cameras can kill" is the warning label I'd recommend for the video industry. Hot-dogging for ratings isn't the exclusive province of the intrepid Irwin.

Evel Knievel used to sacrifice life and limb for the greater glory of "ABC Wide World of Sports."

ABC has never offered a cogent explanation of why anchor Bob Woodruff was standing up with his photographer in the back of an armored vehicle in one of the most dangerous zones in Iraq, a decision that nearly cost both of them their lives when a roadside bomb went off.

And then there's the storm troupers, perfectly respectable, intelligent people who become morons with microphones when presented with the opportunity to stand up in front of a camera during a hurricane.

As stop signs spin through the air looking for a decapitation opportunity, with coconuts moving at the velocity of cannonballs, they brace against the wind and rain and do their silly thing.

This must stop. Somebody's going to get killed under the fictional umbrella of public service.

"I really cannot stress this strongly enough," the Weather Channel's Jim Cantore implored the residents of greater Wilmington as Tropical Storm Ernesto bore down last week.

"Do not venture out."

He offered this sage advice outside in lashing rain and 70 mph winds.

Listen, Cantore is the gold standard of meteorologists, a real standup guy.

But.

Mark

Washburn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Washburn: 704-358-5007; mwashburn@charlotteobserver.com 

© 2006 Charlotte Observer and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.charlotte.com

« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 03:42:52 PM by Johns »

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2006, 07:11:07 PM »
I have no respect for the news media. Especially those half-witted, cry to momma, pansy news reporters that are barely making a living that think they can get somewhere in the world by trying to turn a hero into a criminal. That guy really got on my nerves talking bad about Steve Irwin and Jim Cantore.

The folks at the Weather Channel are trained professionals and do their "up close and personal" hurricane reports to keep us amateurs from wondering out in the storm to take a look. They know what their limit is and just because it's not where everyone elses is, doesn't make them crazy. What about those pilots and meteorologist who fly in and over the storm to get the measurements. They are trained professionals. The pilots are the best of the best. You won't find them flying an airliner.

The people like Steve Irwin, Jim Cantore, the rest of the Weather Channel staff, and the crew of the weather planes are giving us information to help protect us from danger. I respect that.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2006, 07:22:38 PM »
Steve Irwin . . . purposefully swam close over the stingray that killed him in order to create spectacular footage of flirting with danger.

In fact the whole thing was captured on film that you may one day see in which Steve pulled the stinger out of his chest himself, which doomed him immediately as it had pierced his heart. 

Tragic? Yes.  Accident? No.  Death as a result of dangerous behavior? Yes.   

His cavalier actions not only deprived him of a purposeful life, but also deprived us (the whole world) from enjoying him and his message of animal preservation for the rest of our lives.  The reality of his demise is what it is:  The result of  foolhardy exposure to risk and not an accident.

Johns I'm very sorry if you considered my calling the above unpleasant observations, but that is really what I found them to be.  They are not facts but opinions and observations.  This thread was started by Viv, who was mourning the loss of a great conservationist and personality.  I'm reasonably sure that she meant it to be a tribute, not a debate. 

I don't think that my calling your observations unpleasant was a personal attack - it certainly wasn't meant to be.  I was just pointing out that I didn't think this was the place for you to voice your disapproval of the labeling of this man's tragic death as an accident.  If you want to start a Steve Irwin Bashing thread, please do so and label it so the rest of us who don't want to read that kind of negativity can avoid it.

Offline Johns

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2006, 05:48:47 AM »
Teresa,

I did NOT "BASH" Steve Irwin.  Go back and re-read my original post on the subject.  I have NOT criticized Irwin in ANY manner, as I have repeatedly pointed out; I was a fan of his show. What I stated was my objection to the over and over again description of what happened as an "Accident".  My point is that anyone who exposes themselves UNNECESARILY to bodily harm that may reasonably be expected to cause them injury is injured not as the result of an “accident” but rather as a predictable result of unnecessary risk taking.  Most of the reports I have read indicate that Steve KNEW the ray was there, and that he swam over it purposefully in order to allow the camera to record the event. I also stated my disappointment that Steve chose to expose him to the danger that took his life.  We all know in our hearts that he was a man that thrived on adrenalin rushes associated with imminent danger, but we all hoped he would ultimately be cautious enough to avoid serious harm.

Allow me further explanation:  An automobile crash that results from a blowout caused by an unseen road hazard is an “accident”.  An automobile crash caused by a drunk driver should in no way be considered an accident.

Scott,

How on earth can you suggest that it is NECESSARY for Cantore and others to stand out in the wind and rain in order to “provide” us with the obvious information that it is foolhardy to venture out in a hurricane???????  If they are half as smart as you suggest, they would report that information from inside shelter, perhaps in front of a secure window showing the weather outside?  Oh, but that would not be as exciting, and like those of us who attend auto races just to see the crashes, some would be entertained to see Cantore flipped end over end by 100 mile per hour wind.  And Cantore might not have as many “Groupies” (the women who hang out every where he is rumored to be, as if he were BonJovi).

Fortunately, we all have varied tastes; otherwise we would all be on top of one another pursuing the same things.

“But then, there’s no accounting for taste” (John Johns, 1960).

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2006, 08:15:28 AM »
This thread just blows my mind.  Steve Irwin was working to save and help animals, not behave recklessly to increase his ratings.  He grew up around animals and swimming in the ocean, this wasn't something he one day decided to start doing as a money venture.  His death was an accident, pure and simple.  I believe it was Esther who stated that it was a pity more people weren't as dedicated to helping animals and the environment as Steve Irwin was; I totally agree with her.   O0

Offline Johns

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2006, 04:10:29 PM »
Good Grief!!!

Who would have thought people would do such thoughtless acts???

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2353742,00.html

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2006, 04:25:05 PM »
That is obscene!  I know that Steve Irwin would be horrified and hurt to hear of that happening. 

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2006, 06:36:48 PM »
Steve Irwin would indeed, be horrified.  >:( :( :'(  Absolutely the last thing he would want.

I have read multiple threads and posts on other boards discussing him that were for hunting down and killing stingrays.

I read an article from an Australian newspaper that had quotes from a man who runs a dive/fishing company in Cairns where Steve was killed saying that his phone had been ringing off the hook by people who wanted to come kill the rays.

As for comparing his work with wild animals to a drunk driver, I strongly disagree. To a racecar driver yes, but to a drunk driver, no way. However, if he was a racecar driver his death would have been in the family car not on the racetrack.

Swimming with rays isn't considered dangerous. Tourists do it all over the world. There are places in the Caribbean and other areas where rays congregate by the hundreds to be hand fed by tourists in addition to Australia. Rays are placid animals, they were not part of the documentary The Oceans Deadliest that they were filming. He was snorkling with them for some footage for Bindi's new kid show.

Swimming a metre over one lying in the sand is not considered unnecessary risk taking by those who would know, such as Philippe Cousteau. I've seen and read dozens of interviews and comments and no one with knowledge of Stingrays calls his death anything but a tragic freak ACCIDENT

IF he was killed by a crocodile or a venomous snake, it would be a different story.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Johns

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2006, 06:35:19 AM »
Lee Anne,

I love you to pieces but as we often do, I must disagree with you.  IMHO, swimming with stingrays is STUPID! 

Don't you just LOVE the Mountain Dew commercial with the idiot "riding" the great white?

See  http://www.awfulcommercials.com/dietdew01.php

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2006, 05:48:03 PM »
I did NOT write this, I was thinking something similar when I heard of Steve's death but I found this online. The writer's name was not available. I had to share it. I think it is wonderful

An Interesting Day at the Rainbow Bridge

The Rainbow Bridge is a place of both peace and anticipation as departed
pets await their beloved owners. There are plenty of things to keep
them contented while they wait: trees you can't get stuck in, endless
meadows, splashing streams, thickets perfect to hide in for
pounce-attack games.

But one day the residents noticed some rather...unusual newcomers
arrive.

The koalas and the kangaroos slipped in rather quietly, but then came
the bearded dragons, the skinks and the goannas. The influx of snakes
startled an entire family of cats up a tree. Pythons, cobras, tiger
snakes, brown snakes and even fierce snakes. There were so many at
one point, it seemed the ground itself was alive with writhing. A
burly wombat shouldered his way through the crowd and plopped down
in a shady spot, barely missing a Jack Russell terrier who yapped
indignantly as he abandoned his position.

And then the crocodiles showed up.

Finally, a Great Dane managed to get up enough nerve to approach one
of the reptilian giants.

"Um....excuse me," he said hesitantly. "But, why are you all here?"

The croc dropped her jaw and laughed. "Same as you, mate," she said.
"Waitin' for someone who loved us."

The dogs, cats, gerbils and other "typical pets" looked at each
other in confusion, then at the plethora of weird, ugly and
downright deadly creatures assembled. Who on Earth could possibly
love some of those faces?

"I see him!" shouted a green mamba from his vantage point in one of
the trees. A cacophony of squeeks, hisses, bellows and roars erupted
as the mob surged forward toward a lone human walking across the
field toward the bridge. The other animals managed to catch a
glimpse of him before he was overwhelmed by the crowd.

"CRIKEY!" he shouted joyously right before he was bowled over by the
wombat.

"Well I'll be," said a Persian as she tidied up her fur. "It's that
Aussie my human liked to watch on TV. Had to be the craziest human on
the whole planet."

"Oh, please," remarked a echidna as he hurried by. "Is it really that
crazy to passionately love something God made?"

"No, it's not," they heard a voice say from their crowd. "You see, I,
too, was with him, at his side, as he caught the crocs, the snakes,
and the spiders and spoke on the importance they have in life. For
you see, I am his mate, his dog Sui. To you ordinary animals he may
seem crazy, but to me he is simply known as a Best Friend."

And with that comment, as the animals looked on with surprise, she
ran barking, clearing a path to him, and jumped in his arms, licking
his face as he cried, "Sui, my mate, my friend. How I've missed you
so." And with that, they all crossed the Rainbow Bridge together.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2006, 06:07:40 PM »
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 19, FROM 9-10 P.M. ET/PT.

(Silver Spring , MD) — Animal Planet is airing Steve Irwin's memorial service exclusively in the U.S., commercial-free, on Tuesday, September 19, from 9-10 p.m. ET/PT, with an encore broadcast airing 12-1 a.m. ET/PT. The memorial service, entitled Steve Irwin: He Changed Our World, will be a same-day broadcast (with a two-hour delay) of the event Wednesday morning in Australia.

The public memorial service for the beloved animal conservationist and television personality is being held in the "Crocoseum," a 5,500-seat stadium at Irwin's Australia Zoo in Beerwah, Australia. Members of the Irwin Family, as well as Irwin's long-time friend and producer, John Stainton, are expected to speak. Celebrities and dignitaries worldwide are expected to attend.

Two days prior, Animal Planet is airing a 15-hour marathon of Steve Irwin's programs on Sunday, September 17, from noon to 3 a.m. ET/PT. Throughout the marathon, entitled Crocs Rule!: A Tribute to Steve Irwin, interstitial tributes from Irwin's friends, colleagues and notable supporters will be featured. Check the TV schedule.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2006, 04:55:44 PM »

THE DAY THE ANIMALS CRIED
by Evelyn Pignataro

Did you hear? Asked the elephant
Raising her trunk to trumpet the news
He’s left us, he’s gone, this is not a ruse
The wolves howled a long mournful report
It cannot be, where is our Aussie sport?
The lions and leopards looked on in disbelief
Can this be true? They roared in anguished grief
The seals and polar bears hung their heads in sorrow
Wondering who would be their voice tomorrow
The penguins and the whales stopped in their play
And asked, what has happened on this earth today?
The reptile’s tongues sensed the pain all around
And lay still on the earth as if spellbound
The porpoises and turtles rose in the sea
To ask the other creatures how could this be?
The kangaroos and the wallabies stood still in fear
Our warrior, our champion is no longer here?
The koalas huddled together in their trees
Wondering if tomorrow they still would be free
The crocodile’s tears flowed freely like rain
Confirming the truth and showing their pain
This man, this human, this creature, our friend
Someone who loved us, and on whom we depend
Who showed the world, we’re all worthy of love
Has slipped from this earthly realm and ascended above.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Cindi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2006, 07:05:30 AM »
That Rainbow Bridge thing was awesome LeeAnne, thanks for posting it!!!  I don't know why, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to watch his shows since he passed away.  I know I will eventually, but it just makes me so sad to think he's gone!  He was such a great man and I'm glad that he had the chance to teach what he did to Bindi!! 
Cindi

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2006, 09:52:11 AM »
I thought it was fabulous too. I had to copy and post it.

I am stunned by how much his death has upset me. I have only been this upset when someone outside of my family has died twice before, Elvis and Princess Diana. I think I'm even more upset. Actually, I know I am. I have always admired him as a man and as a wildlife warrior. He reminds me of a very dear friend and that made him instantly loved by me. I have a very long history of watching nature/animal shows but no host has ever given so much of himself to the world for the cause.

My husband is really upset too. We've seen so many of the behind the scenes shows that we feel we have lost a friend. He can't bring himself to watch but I have been. They have been playing some I've never seen like Ice Breaker. I've been taping them and I bought some DVDs on Amazon.

Australia and Australia Zoo are one international destination in addition to BC Canada that Bob and I agree on is a must visit. He is not much interested in seeing the world but watching Steve's shows made him want to visit Australia even more than he wanted to before. We are still going someday.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Cindi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2006, 12:19:55 PM »
I can relate to that LeeAnne.  I too want to visit Australia just because of watching Steve's shows.  I really want to visit his zoo too.  I still hope some day to do that even though he won't be there.   :'(

Ya know I think it's kinda funny how people we never met can effect us as people.  My husband and I are Nascar fans and when Dale Earnhardt passed away we were just shocked.  He had made it out of so many wrecks before.  The funny thing is that ever since then I really hardly ever watch a race and he wasn't the only one I ever rooted for.  I too was shocked and sadened by Princess Di.  I guess when you are in the lime light and put your life out there for all to see you touch a lot of peoples lives.
Cindi

Offline Viv

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2006, 01:43:28 AM »
LeeAnne you are a gem.

Offline Johns

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2006, 06:56:41 AM »
Cindi,

Re: Dale Earnhardt, NASCAR is not the same without him.  I met him personally via Boy Scout  Activities (he was our BSA Join Up Honorary Chairman in 1980), and my wife Karen, a DITW DE fan met him several times, once in her dentists office waiting room (Yes, she got his personal autograph).  Like Irwin, he is irreplaceable.  But then, it seems impossible that Elvis passed 29 years ago last month.....

Offline Viv

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2006, 01:46:29 AM »
Did anyone see Bindi? What a sweetie.

Offline Cindi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2006, 07:34:11 AM »
Did anyone see Bindi? What a sweetie.

I saw some clips of her on the news, but I have yet to watch the memorial.  I did record it so I will probably watch it this weekend.  Bu the clip I saw of her was when she commented that she had the best daddy in the whole world and that alone brought tears to my eyes.  She is one special little girl! 
Cindi

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2006, 08:47:17 AM »
I bawled my eyes out. DH even got all teary over Bindi. Be prepared, the memorial is a heart breaker.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"