Author Topic: Lily pix  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Lily pix
« on: August 15, 2007, 09:56:54 AM »
This year hasn't been a good lily year for many reasons..

But here's a few from this week that I thought I'd share.

Thanks for looking,
Bonnie

Cynthia Ann- she's been my very best performer, always 3-4 blooms or more at a time

Perry's Fire Opal- New to me, my very first bloom -

Perry's Pink Heaven - Ditto

Florida Sunset

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Lily pix
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 10:09:42 AM »
Sorry to hear that you have had a rough time with your lilies this year Bonnie... They look great though! 
Joey

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 11:00:17 AM »
Wow, very nice. O0  O0
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 11:11:52 AM »
They really are gorgeous.   O0

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 11:30:08 AM »
Thanks all,
Part of my bad lily year has been my own fault.... 
Over the winter we had a major pond leak and several of my lilies froze solid because of it. 

In April/May we were replacing the liner in the main pond so I had to have somewhere to put the fish and plants so they went in the lower Wakin pond and lily pond. 

This was a major job because we had to dis and re assemble everything - which meant taking all of the rocks off of the rock ledge and two waterfalls.

Once we got this job almost complete, I drained the lower pond and started digging because it was too bowl shaped. It was very hard to get in and out of along with being too  hard to grow lilies because of the shape.

Along with tearing the main pond apart, I had to relocate several plants so they wouldn't get damaged and replant once the job was done.     Plus I've been adding to them by planting new varieites.

Just those jobs alone were major along with me getting in new lily varieties and getting rid of approx. 20 varieties that were so similar, etc...  ( I'm a glutten for punishment)

I was really down about this for a few months because it was so overwhelming and some of it was my OWN fault. 
 I should have forgot about my lily addiction and left them alone instead of getting new and dividing and getting rid of......
I not only had a kiddy pool with lilies planted in very small tubs to repot but also had some floating because I couldn't do everything that needed to be done!
SHAME on me!

Anyway enough of my rambling but things are slooow-ly starting to look on the bright side, even though it's coming to the end of the season! :(
Thank God next year WILL be a better one!

Happy Ponding,
Bonnie

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 11:35:47 AM »
Thanks all,
Part of my bad lily year has been my own fault.... 
Over the winter we had a major pond leak and several of my lilies froze solid because of it. 

In April/May we were replacing the liner in the main pond so I had to have somewhere to put the fish and plants so they went in the lower Wakin pond and lily pond. 

This was a major job because we had to dis and re assemble everything - which meant taking all of the rocks off of the rock ledge and two waterfalls.

Once we got this job almost complete, I drained the lower pond and started digging because it was too bowl shaped. It was very hard to get in and out of along with being too  hard to grow lilies because of the shape.

Along with tearing the main pond apart, I had to relocate several plants so they wouldn't get damaged and replant once the job was done.     Plus I've been adding to them by planting new varieites.

Just those jobs alone were major along with me getting in new lily varieties and getting rid of approx. 20 varieties that were so similar, etc...  ( I'm a glutten for punishment)

I was really down about this for a few months because it was so overwhelming and some of it was my OWN fault. 
 I should have forgot about my lily addiction and left them alone instead of getting new and dividing and getting rid of......
I not only had a kiddy pool with lilies planted in very small tubs to repot but also had some floating because I couldn't do everything that needed to be done!
SHAME on me!

Anyway enough of my rambling but things are slooow-ly starting to look on the bright side, even though it's coming to the end of the season! :(
Thank God next year WILL be a better one!

Happy Ponding,
Bonnie

Oh I forgot to add another mishap.

Alittle over a month ago I was cleaning the main pond so I turned off the pump.   I had tropicals growing in the two stocktank waterfalls which were blooming size and looking nice.

Well the checkvalve was stuck open and the water drained out of them and I didn't notice until a couple of hours later. :(

Waterlilies in no water on a HOT summer day means disaster.    I was just SICK about this!

HUM.. and you think you've had a bad ponding year???? ;)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 01:17:16 PM »
You have had a bad year.  But it looks like your lily's are forgiving you.  If I have any lily's that you lost let me know and I'll give you a start, if not now in the spring.  Just let me know.

Your lily's are beautiful, love the last pic.

Kim
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 05:00:33 AM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 08:24:56 PM »
Your lilies are beautiful Bonnie ! Look's like they forgave u for leaveing them in the kiddy pool ...poor thing's.... ;)   o(
Or maybe those are not the one's u left in ther all Summer ...?
Perry's Fire Opal is one of my Faovrite pink's... o(:-) , I love the one I got from u this year.
bonnie

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 07:26:08 AM »
Hi Bonnie I like Cynthia Ann with a hint of pink on the bottom.  Is this a changeable or simply a sunset lily?

Gary

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 02:13:02 PM »
All those issues and you still have some great looking blooms so not a total loss.  I have had good bloom this year, but the pads are being devorerd by I think snails >:(- and right now it's the little knatty flies >:(- on the petals, along with the last of the lingering Japanesse bettles that I had this year for the first time >:(-
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 08:17:52 AM »
Cynthia Ann is not a changeable.
Here is one of the better shots of mine.

Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 09:02:09 AM »
Thanks for answering Gary for me Shanna...
No, it's not changeable but like some will vary on bloom color due to climate, etc.
Which Shanna's pix looks alot more solid than my blooms.
I have mine growing in the lilypond which is not full sun YET. (a large overhanging branch is going to be cut off of one tree)

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 03:37:45 PM »
Nice photos Bonnie. I wasn't a good year here either partly because I divided all my large lilies and we had a very slow start to summer with a colder than usual spring. There's always next year. I like Cynthia Ann and of course Perry's Fire Opal.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 04:42:24 PM »
Looks Great!

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 05:59:54 PM »
Great pics Bonnie  O0 ...Don't you just love Perry's fire opal...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 07:49:46 PM »
Bonnie, sorry to hear of all your troubles, your lilies are beautiful. O0

Karen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"