Author Topic: Carignan wine grape help?????  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Tammi CA

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Life is what you make it!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Carignan wine grape help?????
« on: September 07, 2006, 04:18:20 PM »
Hey,   I was wondering if anyone knows how to find out the current value of wine grapes.

I bought a small vineyard a few months back, and it's almost harvest time.  The guy who sold it to us is our neighbor near the property.  I have asked my husband to call him (several times) so we  can find out what the pricing is, when is harvest, and so on! >:(   They are supposed to have lunch soon, we'll see.  Because Dana (the seller/neighbor) has been hiring people for years to work the grapes, he's got all of the contacts.

I recently took a trip to Calastoga, Napa, St. Helena for a overnite stay for my B-day, and we discovered that Carignan is a highly sought after grape.   The Hospitality Ambassador from Sterling Vinyards wants to come to our little vineyard in Lodi!    He says that the wine is becoming increasingly popular.

Dana said that he figures about $350.00 a vine, I thought it went by ton.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tammi
I just need a few more plants, but where does it ever end!!!????

Offline Susan

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Carignan wine grape help?????
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 07:49:18 AM »
Tammi,

We make wines at home, therefore, I had to see what I could find about that grape, I hadn't heard of it before. You can check out this post I found at winepress.us.

http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=11205&st=0&p=129573&#entry12957

Nose around on this site and see if you can find a place that sells grapes, call them and get a price, then you will know for sure. A few home winemakers start wine making with grapes so don't feel like you need to sound like a commerical business when calling.

Sometimes wineries even sell grapes. You can inquire about prices there too.

Susan
Long Island, New York    Zone 7b

Offline Tammi CA

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Life is what you make it!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: Carignan wine grape help?????
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 01:26:26 PM »
Hi Susan~~~~~~Thanks!!!   I just registered!

Well it's too late, they are picking grapes.  This is our first year, so next year we'll know more.

The people that picked the grapes left such a waste of grapes strewn all over the dirt! 

I found out that the company that bought the grapes is Leonardini and sons.  Packaged by Elkorn Fruit Company.

We're getting a couple cases of each wine.

I bought a wine book from BV, called Discovering Wine.

Thank you Susan!
I just need a few more plants, but where does it ever end!!!????

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"