Author Topic: I heard an impact sound from my front porch (I went to the doc)  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I had just stepped out and had no more sat down in a chair, then BOOOOOM!  I ran up my porch steps and said there was just a wreck down the street.  Give me my cell phone and a pair of shoes (they brought me my slip ons, there's a reason for me mentioning these).  I took off running down the road trying to call the police.

Its almost 10:30 at night, totally dark, so I decided I better get on the other side of the road against traffic, but I went to far.  (Its a side street, very few cars but)  While I was running and dialing, my foot went off the pavement.  I heard a pop from my ankle and went all the way down, but I got up and keep on running.  I made it down there, asked the questions the disbatcher was asking.  No one seemed to be hurt, but the one ladies airbag went off so I told her to stay still.  We live so close to the fire dept, I swear by the time I hung up the phone, I heard the firetrucks pulling out.  How these two cars hit each other you got me, one road is 25 mph and the other 35 mph.

When DH finally caught up with me, I was sitting in the grass.  Met someone I use to work with 14 years ago.  DH saw me rubbing my ankle, he said what's wrong?  I said I fell, he said I thought you dropped your cell phone.  Yeah, dropped my cell phone me laying in someones yard...LOL.... No,  I told him about the pop.  I have a small knott on the side of my foot/ankle.  Its swelled, but I can walk on it...LOL.  Leave it to me, try to do something good for someone and I always end up hurt. 

I'm sitting here with my foot in water and epson salt (request of DH) trying to get the swelling down a little.  I guess where I caught myself, my wrist hurts some too.  Of course it had to be my ankle that my bad knee is on.  I'll be alright just hope the swelling is gone before I go to work tomorrow night.  I'm on my feet for 9 hours.  Dh thinks I just pulled a muscle or legiment....geeez that's great.  Hopefully, it will go down and everything will be alright.

Oh, never try to run in those slip on tennis shoe looking things........it just don't work!  I should have just gone barefooted.

I think I missed my calling years ago.  No way I could ever pass the EMT things they require.  Guess I'll just stick to wanting to go to school, someday I'll make it over there and sign up for nursing.

Kim

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 12:26:31 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I heard an impact sound from my front porch
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 08:10:04 PM »
There was a VERY bad wreck on the Hwy today about a mile from my house.. unfortunately a woman died. :(

Take care of yourself and keep that foot elevated !  Maybe some ice would help too?

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 10:20:16 PM »
I'm sorry about your ankle, Kim.   :(  I hurt mine a few weeks ago, and I'll bet that if you heard a pop from your ankle and it's swelling already, it probably won't be all right by tomorrow night.   :-\  Try ice packs and wrap it with an ACE bandage if you have one.  Keep it elevated as much as you can.  You may have to go to the Dr. tomorrow.

Well, geez, I'm just a happy little bringer of bad news, aren't I?    ::)  I'm sorry, but I'll just be really surprised if it's well by tomorrow.

For what it's worth (after all my predictions of doom and gloom), I sincerely hope it DOES get better soon.   o(:-)

Offline Sandye

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 10:21:55 PM »
BTW, let us know how it does.  I may just be all wet in my prediction.   :-\

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 11:10:30 AM »
I suggest high tailing it to the med center today, right now in fact. I thought I had turned my ankle one time and struggled with it for 6 weeks. First my back went out either from the fall or from walking off kilter. So I went to the chiropractor. He adjusted the foot, and my back, and taped up the ankle and foot. He yelled at me for wearing sandals with a bad foot and ankle. So I bought flat tie up granny shoes. Then about 6 weeks later, I had a regular checkup scheduled and told the doctor the story and she sent me for exrays and discovered a bone in my foot was broken.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
Re: I heard an impact sound from my front porch (went to the doc)
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 12:24:36 PM »
Well, today was suppose to be the start of my kids bowling league.  Dad had to work this am, his alarm went off at 4:45 I threw my legs off the bed....ouch.  Haven't even touched the floor yet, I couldn't stand on it.  My ankle was fine, but the side of my foot...had a bruise.  I guess my ankel just hurt last night from turning it sideways.

What we ended up doing, was he went to work and called the bowling alley.  They went ahead and put the kids on a league and they still start next Saturday.  Then dh called my doctors office that has after hour care. 

They did xrays, and the tech said he was pretty sure he saw a fracture on the left 5th something on the side of my foot.  They put me in an air cast, then will send my xrays to an orthopedic doc on Monday and go from there.  This doc wasn't too bright.  The nurse helped me more than anybody.  She saw dh trying to get me inside the building and brought out a wheelchair.  She's the one that decided I needed crutches, (that's an experience in itself) those baby's are hard to use.  Could be that they are too short for me, and extended as far as they will go.  Their others went down to 6 foot, I'm about 5'3" the ones they gave me extend out to 5'2".  I've nearly fell several times trying to used them.  Then trying to go up my front steps...LOL, wheres the cam corder...funniest videos.

I don't understand they told me to stay off of it as much as possible.  Then gave me crutches and told me to try not to use them ???  huh.  Then why did they give them to me.  How am I suppose to walk when I can't put weight on my foot.  I'm cunfused.

I took off work tonight, ( dang it ).  Monday nights I don't walk the floor.  I'm on my feet, but I stay behind the counter I should be able to manage that.  Maybe they will switch me out for Saturdays for awhile too.  Who knows?

Just wanted to give you all an update......this stinks!

Kim
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 04:27:56 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: I heard an impact sound from my front porch (I went to the doc)
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 02:31:10 PM »
Sorry the foot is worse...the crutches are so you can go potty  ;D

Hope it gets to feeling better soon.  DH broke a little bone at his ankle last November.  They just put him in one of those ugly blue boots.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 03:10:58 PM »
Darnit Kim, try to stay off of it as much as possible, really. Get a small silver bell and every time that you need something just ring your bell and your DH should come a running.

Keep us updated on how you are doing.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
You should stay off your feet and keep your bad foot elevated.  Crutches only for when you absolutely need to get up...bathroom, etc.  Like Bullfrog said you need to get a bell.  Give your kids some responsibility in taking care of the most important person in the family!  ;)

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 07:26:08 PM »
Oh shoot Kim. What saved me was the chiropractor strapped the foot and ankle with that tape they use for athletes. It felt so much better after that. But that was maybe 3 days after the original injury so the swelling had receded quite a bit by then.

I also had to work standing up most of the time. I did manage to get a stool that the tellers use and kinda leaned my butt against it.

The story of my experience went like this. Everybody had left the bank. I was there alone when I decided to go home. The parking lot slanted downhill toward my car. I had flat shoes on but the heels got quite narrow on the bottom. Somehow, just as I got to the car, over the ankle went. Luckily I fell against the car and not down. Now, I had a stick shift and it was my brake foot that was hurt. I didn't have a cell phone so had to figure this out on my own. So I figured I might as well drive home than stagger/crawl back into the bank. So I managed to get the car going and about three lots over and across the street was a drug store. I stagger into the store and convince the cashier to get an Ace bandage, a slip on ankle support, and the strongest pain killer they had that was over the counter. I put on the slipon thingy and stagger back out to the car. There were only two signal lights and they were both green. There were no stop signs between the bank and my house so I drove slowly with the car in second a lot of the time to keep from having to use the brakes. I slowly crept into the driveway and all of a sudden I realized I was going to have to get the car out of gear, using the clutch and step on the brake with the same foot. I almost went through the back of the garage :o but didn't.

About three days later when I went to the chiropractor, he said that he'd never seen a foot so out of whack. By the way, the bone that was broken was on the side of my foot. If you run your fingers over the side near the bottom, you'll feel where it kinda sticks out and then dents in. It was that bone that broke off. When they exrayed 6 weeks later, it was not healing. The doctor said to come back in a month and they exrayed again. By that time I had been wearing my dress ankle boots to support the foot and ankle and it didn't hurt much at all. When I went back she was concerned because it still wasn't healing. I never went back because I figured if it wasn't painful, it must not be too bad. For all I know it is still flopping around. LOL.

Offline Sandye

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 10:30:21 PM »
I'm glad you went to the doctor, Kim.  I hope your foot heals soon.   :hug:

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 04:56:24 AM »
How's it feeling this morning?

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 01:02:40 PM »
Its still hurts to walk on, but much better than Saturday morning.  I tossed the crutches yesterday.  My upper body was so sore and bruised up.  It hurt more to use the crutches than to hobble some place.  I have brusies on my ribs, pinch marks on the inside of my arms. 

I go to the orthopedic on Thursday, I think he'll just give me some kind of walking boot type thing.  This thing they have on me, I swear its more for the ankle.  I couldn't get a sooner appointment than Thursday.

I'm going to work tonight.  I called and made sure it was alright that I tried.  They said sure, and they will make sure that the workers help me too.  I don't have to walk the floors like on Saturdays.  So, I'll see how it goes tonight.

Kim

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 05:04:33 AM »
Hi kim. STAY OFF it. when you use crutches never put the wait on your pits. you need to put your waight on your hands and arms. I worked in Phisical Therapy for 12 years and I know how messed up it can get if u don't stay off it. I hope it heals fast for ya.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Bartman

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 08:02:00 AM »
Hope your foot is doing okay.

My experiences with 911 aren't so tramatic for me.  Where I work there is a very bad intersection so almost every summer I am calling 911 at least once.  The first thing that happens is half the guys run out with the fire extinguishers, someone yells to call 911 (which I generally do) then someone else relays the information to me because I can't see the intersection from the office.  I'm sure they know me by now at the 911 dispatch!

Another time we had an accident in the building and I had to call 911 and calm down the 911 operator.  Must have been his first day or something.  He was so wound up I couldn't even give him the information.  I finally said, "Look, CALM DOWN so we can do this!  I've done this before!" 

Bart

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 09:40:19 AM »
That's funny Bart, you having to calm down the disbatcher.  My foot is alright, still very sore.  The orthopedic doc said its just severely bruised.  The tendants are also bruised, gave me a orthothodicc shoe to where so I can walk at work.  Funny how one doc saw a fracture, and my bone doctor saw nothing.  I didn't like the doc I saw last Saturday, I think she had gotten her MD from a cracker-jack box...

Kim

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 07:46:28 PM »
Hi Kim, glad to hear it's doing better, and glad you went to the specialiest. You'll be full bore before to long. But remember sometimes bad bruises take a long time to heal so don't over do it!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"